General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: snuz2
Date: January 26, 2011 06:32AM

You just have to turn them on. Hit F2 to get preferences. Then under Kmeleon plugins:macro extension you will see check boxes to select the features you want and deselect the features you don't need. The menus etc will change automagically to reflect this.

If there is anything missing in 1.6, it probably is because it's no longer needed or advisable to use it. There is no difference between the installer and 7z versions other than the install script. I just suggest the 7z because you said you wanted both versions ( I wouldn't on XP - we only keeping 1.5 around because 1.6 doesn't really run on Windows 98. 1.5 is already broken on many websites and also 1.6 is way faster javascript ). With 7z it's harder to overwrite your previous install by mistake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vasa1
Date: January 26, 2011 05:40PM

Hi Snuz2, the answer to my problem is in this thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,113175,114288,page=2#msg-114288

Date: January 26, 2011 09:54PM

You must have downloaded it from a different place than I, the vc80 files were included in the .7z distribution I downloaded. From desga2, I believe, sorry I forgot that there might be more than one...

Posted by: siria
Date: January 26, 2011 10:55PM

Am not quite sure anymore, but guess on newer OS there's a real "installation" required for the vcredist. Unlike win98 which works already with just the dll's lying in the folder grinning smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 27, 2011 10:18PM

(1.6b2 but, if I remember, it happened to 1.6b1)

Does it happen to you, that after open K-meleon, if you don't move the mouse, the mouse pointer holds the waiting icon until you move it?

Posted by: vasa1
Date: January 28, 2011 03:24AM

JohnHell
(1.6b2 but, if I remember, it happened to 1.6b1)

Does it happen to you, that after open K-meleon, if you don't move the mouse, the mouse pointer holds the waiting icon until you move it?

Yes. I see that as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.17pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

(WinXP SP3).

Date: February 04, 2011 06:16AM

@siria

Working on the window freeze up problem where you need to click the taskbar to wake it up. This problem goes away ( at least so far, a couple of days) if I turn on KEx for all apps by default and block flash. Am now trying with flash unblocked. Note that flash runs a very high priority in the cpu and can block clicks at any time, even on my 3Ghz XP machine at work, but it doesn't just wake up if you click the taskbar.

I think running some things through KEx and some through the normal Kernel calls splits the event queue and mouse and keyboard events get lost. That's just my theory.

I know you running KEx with "opt in" not "opt out" as well so, I'm just advising you :_).

Date: February 04, 2011 05:26PM

I'm giving more time of browsing with 1.6b2 and I find some things quite annoying.

Let's talk about some of them. I don't ask on the bugs subforum as maybe is very particular to me or not, as what I said about waiting icon for the mouse when you open K-meleon.

Bookmarks
Happens that, sometimes, not ever, you have to click twice, or move to other element of the bookmarks before re-click on an specific bookmarks to be executed.

Accelerators
Happens that, sometimes, not ever, don't work. For example, I have set F2 to block flash an other for change colors of a page. Both use the InjectJS macro function. Probably is caused because of this, but, sometimes, I have to click on the page, even twice, because it doesn't happen anything with I use the accelerators, as if the window wasn't in focus, but it is.

Does happen these to you?

Date: February 05, 2011 07:16AM

Well, in general, at least on W98, these things happen all over the place. See previous post. And I may have spoken too soon, I just had one of these "non events" not 2 seconds before navigating here, and I have not changed anything, so maybe turning on KEx for everything improves response, but not fix 100%.

Do people running XP also experience "lost events" from keyboard and mouse?????

Date: February 05, 2011 03:09PM

I wasn't replying to you, but talking to you *all* winking smiley

And yes, I think it could happen on XP, at least on 2000 happens to me.

Looks like a general "whatever" happening on all systems smiling smiley if it happens to you too :/

Date: February 08, 2011 12:45AM

Doesn't have this version any kind of XML formatting?

Just test any URL of an XML file, that's why I don't provide a link:

The pref, supposedly responsible of this is layout.xml.prettyprint, and I have already set to true.

Posted by: deadlock
Date: February 12, 2011 10:57AM

JohnHell

You are right! XMLPrettyPrint was missing.
But you should provide a link. There are differences.
Some pages display fine.

ok: http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml
bad: http://nat.org/blog/feed/

Both samples have Content-Type: text/xml

I guess you already added the missing files to embed.jar

For anyone else, here is a repacked version
with added XMLPrettyPrint.css, XMLPrettyPrint.xml,
XMLPrettyPrint.xsl and console-fix.

http://rapidshare.com/files/447525901/embed_1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z
(updated link)
http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/embed_1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 01:31PM by deadlock.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 12, 2011 01:09PM

deadlock
JohnHell

You are right! XMLPrettyPrint was missing.
But you should provide a link. There are differences.
Some pages display fine.

I guess you already added the missing files to embed.jar

For anyone else, here is a repacked version
XMLPrettyPrint.xsl and console-fix.

http://rapidshare.com/files/447525901/embed_1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z

Thx deadlock!

-> I just downloaded the file and uploaded to a new location.

So here is the same File & Version but no wait from:

dhost.info/kmeleonskins/embed_1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z

Hope all downloads ok.

p.s. @deadlock, do me a favor = send me a valiid mail@ so that I can contact You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 01:16PM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 12, 2011 06:44PM

deadlock,

<<For anyone else, here is a repacked version
XMLPrettyPrint.xsl and console-fix.>>

Excellent fix, much appreciated!

N

Date: February 12, 2011 09:49PM

deadlock

First, thanks for the fix smiling smiley

About what I quoted... not exactly. Indeed, if you have a look to the code, you'll find this:

<?xml-stylesheet title="XSL_formatting" type="text/xsl" href="/shared/bsp/xsl/rss/nolsol.xsl"?>

Or, in other words, that "xml" is using the stylesheet from here:
http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/shared/bsp/xsl/rss/nolsol.xsl

And, most probably, this CSS file, (I didn't had a closer look):
http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/shared/bsp/xsl/rss/nolsol.css

So... I can't fully agree with you winking smiley

Date: February 12, 2011 10:43PM

JohnHell

And, most probably, this CSS file, (I didn't had a closer look):
http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/shared/bsp/xsl/rss/nolsol.css

URL = http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/shared/bsp/xsl/rss/css/nolsol_xsl.css

Any ideas how we can implement a default CSS as fall back?

UserContent.css - does that work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 10:48PM by guenter.

Posted by: j
Date: February 12, 2011 11:34PM

Hi,

Version 1.6 beta seems to be as fast as 1.5.4.

However, I have noticed that in general browsing and particularly when loading gmail, there is a huge memory spike in version 1.6. This would be as big as most of the main browsers out there that I have tried. These include, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

I am concerned that K-Meleon 1.6 is moving in the wrong direction. It will become as big a memory hog as any of the other main browsers. Result = K-Meleon will fade into history.

I think the developer needs to get back to what was so good about 1.5.4. Version 1.5.4 was extremely memory efficient, which 1.6 beta is not.

If version 1.6 is not as memory efficient as 1.5.4, I can't see myself using K-Meleon in the future. Why not use any of the other main browsers ?

I really like 1.5.4, and if its memory efficiency is maintained in 1.6, K-Meleon will be a fantastic web browser. I think you have a great browser, don't make it become like all the other memory hogs available.

Date: February 12, 2011 11:44PM

j
I have noticed that in general browsing and particularly when loading gmail, there is a huge memory spike in version 1.6. This would be as big as most of the main browsers out there that I have tried.

The spike is technically needed.

Gmail is stiff with JavaScript. This content takes advantage from JavaScript Just In Time compilation. Like other main browsers future K-Meleons will have that feature/option.

If that is a feature that You do not want. No problem.

Toogle the pref "javascript.options.jit.content" via Browser Configuration too false and K-Meleon does AFAIK not use that feature anymore. It executes JS slower and consumes less memory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 11:59PM by guenter.

Date: February 13, 2011 03:32PM

guenter

The spike is technically needed.

Gmail is stiff with JavaScript. This content takes advantage from JavaScript Just In Time compilation. Like other main browsers future K-Meleons will have that feature/option.

If that is a feature that You do not want. No problem.

Toogle the pref "javascript.options.jit.content" via Browser Configuration too false and K-Meleon does AFAIK not use that feature anymore. It executes JS slower and consumes less memory.

Guenter,

Do you have any preferences for using or not using JIT?

N

Date: February 13, 2011 04:22PM

? AFAIK JIT is the new feature/pref that is on with the new GRE. There are 2 prefs with JIT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 04:25PM by guenter.

Date: February 13, 2011 08:07PM

There aren't preferences to think of.

JIT has been created to deal with the sites that abuse (for me is abusing) of AJAX to offer real-time content through Javascript+XML calls.

If you disable it, you'll live as with previous versions and you wont benefit of its features on high load AJAX sites (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc). This also means, more CPU usage, but less memory usage.

If you enable, well, less CPU, therefore quicker load times of AJAX pages but more memory usage :/

This depends more on the sites you visit. For me is good (I visit YouTube often), but, in the other hand, if they code with intelligence, the heap can be passed over, as happened lately with their comments pages. They are faster without any JIT feature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 08:07PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 13, 2011 08:40PM

JohnHell
There aren't preferences to think of.

JIT has been created to deal with the sites that abuse (for me is abusing) of AJAX to offer real-time content through Javascript+XML calls.

If you disable it, you'll live as with previous versions and you wont benefit of its features on high load AJAX sites (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc). This also means, more CPU usage, but less memory usage.

If you enable, well, less CPU, therefore quicker load times of AJAX pages but more memory usage :/

This depends more on the sites you visit. For me is good (I visit YouTube often), but, in the other hand, if they code with intelligence, the heap can be passed over, as happened lately with their comments pages. They are faster without any JIT feature.

John & Guenter,

Thanks for the info... in essence, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm trying right now with a setting of false.... will see how that goes for a little while.

N

Posted by: isnetus
Date: March 13, 2011 10:49AM

CPU usage 100% problem and new tab right click freeze...

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 14, 2011 05:08PM

isnetus
CPU usage 100% problem and new tab right click freeze...

What version of 1.6.0 Beta are you using? Did you make any preference, macro or extension changes prior to the problems occurring?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 05:09PM by caktus.

Posted by: isnetus
Date: March 15, 2011 02:48PM

I use beta2 version.No other addons...Definitely there is a problem in K-Meleon's CPU usage.I controlled other browsers like Firefox but they are normal...

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 15, 2011 05:10PM

isnetus
I use beta2 version.No other addons...Definitely there is a problem in K-Meleon's CPU usage.I controlled other browsers like Firefox but they are normal...

I had much the same problem with 1.6b2. I am guessing that it may have had to do with and extension or perhaps I managed to corrupt my profile somehow. Rather than try to figure it out I decided to go back to 1.5.4 since 1.6 is still in testing. If you have no extensions added you might try reinstalling 1.6.2 over the present install 1.6b2, when asked if you want to replace files click 'Yes" or "All." Or simply delete the the 1.6b2 then create a completely fresh install. If this doesn't work you too may want to consider reverting to 1.5.4 until 1.6 is in final release.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: March 16, 2011 02:07AM

I had/have this problem too but with windows, not tabs. For no reason, sometimes, it hangs with the CPU at full load doing... whatever. This is not being catched by crash report. I remember I said something like this in the bugs forum.

EDIT: looks I dreamed. I don't find such post. Anyway, happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 02:18AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 21, 2011 08:44AM

Does Km 1.6b still freezes when trying to open links inside lifehacker.com like 1.6a4? If it doesn't, than it is time for me to switch to beta. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 08:57AM by panzer.

Date: March 21, 2011 03:12PM

panzer
Does Km 1.6b still freezes when trying to open links inside lifehacker.com like 1.6a4? If it doesn't, than it is time for me to switch to beta. grinning smiley

panzer,

Yesterday I made the switch from KM 1.6beta1 to beta2 and just checked lifehacker and links within. No crashes for me using XP PRO SP3.

N

Posted by: Garth
Date: April 25, 2011 07:44PM

Hello,

In 1.6.0 beta 2, I find that, while pages are loading, I cannot use keyboard accelerators, including backspace for back (I added a binding for VK_BACK in accel.cfg) and F5 for refresh. They work fine as soon as the page has loaded, but in other browsers, including 1.5 I think (don't remember being annoyed by this), you can navigate using the keyboard before the page has completed loading. Does anyone else have this issue and is it expected to be fixed? Or is there perhaps something wrong with my config?

Thanks,

Garth

P.S. Sorry for the double-post - didn't see this thread the first time.

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.