Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: disrrupted
Date: November 18, 2010 08:05PM

rmn, the ua should include the date but there have been some other changes to the ua according to the book of mozilla

desga you should also read this
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/final-user-agent-string-for-firefox-4/

one significant change is the official inclusion of the equivalent ff version in the app line for all gecko products, it's not compulsory especially for independent projects like kmeleon or camino but it seems mozilla is fed-up with detections not identifying geckos like seamonkey which has website sniffing issues just like kmeleon. it's not a new idea, orca and sleipnir|lunascape were first to add an ff line for app but bottom line ..mozilla is saying all geckos should include it which consequently means they will all be identified as firefox by website stats..it doesn't matter if you add a kmeleon line or 'not firefox' as long as there a firefox line in the ua string the browser will be counted as firefox. the new recommended ua will eventually kill the geckoisgecko.org community and calls for proper feature/engine detection

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 18, 2010 08:59PM

disrrupted

1.) it's not a new idea, orca and sleipnir|lunascape were first to add an ff line for app

2.) but bottom line ..mozilla is saying all geckos should include it which consequently means they will all be identified as firefox by website stats..it doesn't matter if you add a kmeleon line or 'not firefox' as long as there a firefox line in the ua string the browser will be counted as firefox.

3.) the new recommended ua will eventually kill the geckoisgecko.org community and calls for proper feature/engine detection

1.) grinning smiley These 3 make IE shells too. All the IE shell builders include IE string since long.

2.) Good for FF general browser stats. Not good for other Mozilla based browsers.
But not a totally bleak prospect - e.g. the EC knew which IE shells had many users - so there were more specialized stats that counted them apart from IE main.

3.) Annoying - it will not bring better feature detection but browser switches that work along browser names: Chrome/Safari, Firefox, IE and Opera.

IMHO K-Meleon.org probably has to close eyes and kiss this frog. sad smiley

BTW FF will never become a prince for me. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 09:02PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 18, 2010 10:25PM

Pref tabs:
There's this old setting to "hide menu bar", and we know a couple people have already fallen into that trap, probably out of curiosity and not knowing what they did grinning smiley Problem is, it's a bit hard to find the way back if one is clueless :cool: Perhaps there could be a little note below that checkbox, with a tip how to get back... ;-)

Ah yes, while I'm at it, right above, "Display menu bar as a toolbar": Possibly a hint that this means that the font will no longer follow the style of general windows setting for menus, as disrrupted just explained :cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 10:30PM by siria.

Posted by: disrrupted
Date: November 18, 2010 11:55PM

4td8s

another bummer. I sometimes get some random crashes with this new KM 1.6.0 beta when browsing some web sites. Hard to reproduce at times.

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.6007, fault address 0x00010771."

this is due to gklayout bug, probably related to inconsistencies inside xul but not necessarily triggered by a xul call. to easily reproduce without browsing and waiting for a hiccup:

double click on the tab bar twice to create 2 empty tabs, close any tab and then open a xul window like preferences

Posted by: rmn2
Date: November 19, 2010 12:06AM

disrrupted
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/final-user-agent-string-for-firefox-4/

That's an interesting read. I still think Gecko-based browsers should have the UA "BrowserName/version (OS) Gecko/version", like what Mozilla recommended years ago, but yeah.

Date: November 19, 2010 12:34AM

Found another problem:
  • Changing document.title causes the titlebar to display nothing, until you switch to another tab. To reproduce: javascriptsad smileyfunction(){ document.title = 'a' })()

P.S. Should I move these to the thread in the Development forum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 12:36AM by rmn2.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: November 19, 2010 12:46AM

oh gosh darn it. more random crashes with KM 1.6 beta on my XP computer.

Checking "application" log in XP's Event Viewer program-

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, fault address 0x0003a437."

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.6007, fault address 0x000109d8."

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.6007, fault address 0x000101b3."

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, fault address 0x00014500."

though KM 1.6 beta behaves very nicely so far on the Vista computer. no crashes on there.

could be a possible conflict between KM 1.6 beta and XP's KB2264107 mrxdav.sys/ntdll.dll update. i'll try uninstalling this XP patch and see if K-meleon 1.6.0 beta doesn't crash at all.

Date: November 19, 2010 01:16AM

siria
Pref tabs:
There's this old setting to "hide menu bar", and we know a couple people have already fallen into that trap, probably out of curiosity and not knowing what they did grinning smiley Problem is, it's a bit hard to find the way back if one is clueless :cool: Perhaps there could be a little note below that checkbox, with a tip how to get back... ;-)

The default skin has a button for the occasion that ppl get trapped smiling smiley :

Browser Con&figuration{
Browser Con&figuration{
ID_PREFERENCES|Compact Menu
View Preferences. Right-click to view Compact Menu.
optionshot.bmp[0]
optionscold.bmp[0]
optionscold.bmp[0]
}

Maybe all default skins should get it?

For Klssic You'd/we'd only have to change the

pics:

hottool.bmp[10]
hottool.bmp[10]
coldtool.bmp[10]

Speaking about GRE problems of the current build. The GRE part of the spellchecker has not compilled functional. It would color wrongly spelled words red if it was functional and a dictionary was present.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 03:36AM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 19, 2010 04:53AM

Can't seem to load up the old rss reader (Aggreg8). Get the following error message:

Exception..."Security error" code: "1000" nsresult" "0x80503e8 (NS_ERROR_DOM_SECURITY_ERR)"

N

Date: November 19, 2010 08:45AM

rmn2
Changing document.title causes the titlebar to display nothing, until you switch to another tab. To reproduce: javascriptsad smileyfunction(){ document.title = 'a' })()

Works fine here, but my bookmarks.dll is from cp4/preBeta.
The beta1-bookmarks make that all window titles are completely unreadable in win98SE. Switching off bookmarks plugin or exchanging dll with preBeta-version fixes it.
Perhaps test what happens if you disable bookmarks plugin?

Posted by: duffy98
Date: November 19, 2010 12:05PM

siria ... just responding to your post ... since we both use Win 98SE ... I use Favorites and have had no problems with the new KM Beta version. I used IE6 for so many years and just use the Klassic skin with the Favorites tab. Not suggesting you change from Bookmarks to Favorites ... just letting you know I have had no problems using Favorites with the new version.

Date: November 19, 2010 04:45PM

siria
rmn2
Changing document.title causes the titlebar to display nothing, until you switch to another tab. To reproduce: javascriptsad smileyfunction(){ document.title = 'a' })()

The beta1-bookmarks make that all window titles are completely unreadable in win98SE. Switching off bookmarks plugin or exchanging dll with preBeta-version fixes it.

Siria,

Quite right... I too switched out the beta bookmarks.dll for the older one from the pre-beta and now have zero problems. Looks like that is a permanent fix, no?

N

Date: November 19, 2010 05:12PM

4td8s

could be a possible conflict between KM 1.6 beta and XP's KB2264107 mrxdav.sys/ntdll.dll update. i'll try uninstalling this XP patch and see if K-meleon 1.6.0 beta doesn't crash at all.

nope, KB2264107 isn't the problem. KM 1.6 beta sometimes randomly crashes w/out KB2264107 installed in XP. must be something else.

Date: November 20, 2010 01:51AM

4td8s
4td8s

nope, KB2264107 isn't the problem. KM 1.6 beta sometimes randomly crashes w/out KB2264107 installed in XP. must be something else.

4td8s,

Yup... well, we all asked for K-Meleon to speed up its release, so we should not be surprised that we ended up with bugs. Let us hope that all of us can help Dorian swat bugs.

N

Date: November 20, 2010 02:34AM

siria
rmn2

Wow, you're right. I was extremely sceptical when trying this, but apparently the bug doesn't happen when the Bookmarks plugin is disabled.

Date: November 20, 2010 05:21PM

ndebord
4td8s
4td8s

4td8s,

Yup... well, we all asked for K-Meleon to speed up its release, so we should not be surprised that we ended up with bugs. Let us hope that all of us can help Dorian swat bugs.

i see. but KM 1.6 beta seems to work perfectly under Vista. I haven't seen it crash under Vista yet.

on my XP computer I received a different crash in KM 1.6 beta, this time referring to the macros.dll file:

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module macros.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000e9b9."

wonder if I should replace the macros.dll file with the pre-beta release?

on the other hand, I seem to have gotten rid of the "other" XP crashes with KM 1.6 beta by replacing that bookmarks.dll file with the prebeta cp4 version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 05:25PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 20, 2010 06:50PM

rmn2
A few things I noticed. Some of these may not be regressions, just things I haven't seen before.

1. loader.exe doesn't exist in the distribution. If enabled from the installer, a broken link gets added to Start → Programs → Startup.
  2. About → Release Notes still points to the 1.5 relnotes.
  3. The UA string doesn't include the Gecko date (e.g. Gecko/yyyymmdd). Don't know if this is intentional. Intended, as disrupted explains.
  4. Full Screen → Exit Full Screen → tabbar gone (open new tab to restore). I'm using kmeleon.tabs.position vtop, if that makes a difference.
  5. Can't Alt+F, have to Alt then F. I'm not using rebarmenu.
  6. Going to a new page or changing document.title causes the titlebar to display nothing. This is the same as the Bookmarks plugin-related bug that others have reported in Win9x (except I'm using Win7).

1) Sorry I forget added it to package, but loader.exe haven't changes, you can use some of 1.5.4 or 1.6 alpha4/cp4/preBeta.

2) Yes it's, I forget changed it, I have noted to changed it in next release. Also FAQ link go to an old FAQ page.

3) Gecko build date is not more included in gklayout.dll file as disrupted point in his post link.

4) Fullscreen kplugin bug, please report this Bug.

5) This is a K-Meleon 1.6 bug, please report this Bug. This not happend in 1.5.4.

6) I can't reproduce it, but it could be the same problem with kplugins.
You can replaced all kplugins of 1.6.0 Beta for kplugins from 1.6.0 alpha4/cp4/preBeta (are compatibles) and test if all work fine then.

Thanks to everyone for reports and you must remember it's only a Beta.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 07:28PM by desga2.

Date: November 20, 2010 08:13PM

Uhm, to me it looks like the FAQ link is correct. It does show the latest content from the wiki, just uses a php path like the links in the green bar here. Always thought that's intentional...

Alt+F (etc.) really depends if the rebarmenu is enabled or not...

But can't reproduce vanishing tabs row when exiting fullscreen, not even with a clean default profile and top tabs and beta1-bookmarks...

But frankly the about page is confusing to me, no status bar or any other toolbars or menus, except context menu, and when clicking on a link, those pages also open without any menus or bars. After checking in KM154 default, it looks like this is intentional, but it seems to have bothered me so much in the past too that apparently I had changed it at some point myself to open in a normal page, in my modified installation smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 08:41PM by siria.

Date: November 20, 2010 09:23PM

siria

But frankly the about page is confusing to me, no status bar or any other toolbars or menus, except context menu,

Its since that for long.

Maybe try (may create double about: entry):

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- Open About K-Meleon in a normal window ----------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dependencies : main.kmm (OpenURL)
# Resources : -
# Preferences : -
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AppAbout{
$OpenURL="about:"; &OpenURL_InNewWindow;
}

# ----- PRIVATE

_AppAbout_BuildMenu{
setmenu(KMAbout,macro,"About &K-Meleon",AppAbout,ID_APP_ABOUT);
setmenu(KMAbout,command,"",ID_APP_ABOUT);
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_AppAbout_BuildMenu;";

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."AppAbout;";

Date: November 20, 2010 10:12PM

Thanks guenter smiling smiley
I thought I'd look how I had done it in KM154, had a vague memory of messing a bit with main.kmm for such stuff :cool:
So I open the 16beta main.kmm, the un-messed pure native version yet, and what do I find??
Those lines! grinning smiley

# ----- Help menu options open in new tab if tabs are enabled and the preference is true -----
$pref_helpmenu="kmeleon.plugins.macros.helpmenu.openintab";

Just toggled that pref and tried with "Help/About", and - YES! It opens in a normal tab as a normal page grinning smiley grinning smiley

Now, where is that very nice setting again in the prefs, hmm... must take a closer look... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 10:14PM by siria.

Date: November 20, 2010 10:22PM

Why thank me? I have the macro by default - ever since kko posted it for ppl that want the ancient default behaviour. Which is IMHO better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 10:22PM by guenter.

Date: November 20, 2010 10:45PM

Then we're already two :cool:
Have meanwhile looked a bit closer at that new setting, and there are 6 commands from the help menu that check that pref and adapt their behaviour. If the pref is set "false", then they call the "ID" commands. Funnily, all except "About" open *always* in normal new pages, obviously this is also the ID-command setting. I like that, thanks to desga or whoever did it smiling smiley
The difference between 'false' and 'true' is, that 5 of the 6 commands open either in the current tab or in a new tab. The plugins page opens either in a new window or a new tab. The about page opens either in a confusing menu-less new window or as normal page in a new tab.

Now if only the error console could become 'normal' again too, when opening it in a link or as my 'home page', instead of resizing the window incl. all tabs to some tiny fixed size, which isn't even my "last used" size...
(never completely happy, sorry ;-P)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 11:14PM by siria.

Date: November 20, 2010 11:41PM

siria

The about page opens either in a confusing menu-less new window or as normal page in a new tab.

Now if only the error console could become 'normal' again too, when opening it in a link or as my 'home page', instead of resizing the window incl. all tabs to some tiny fixed size, which isn't even my "last used" size...

1/2.) Ask desga2 to joins us. smiling smiley A dev can make the behaviour default again. smiling smiley

3.) Error console: there is an error in sizing of XUL currently, IMO. I would not waste a thought.

4.) We'd be still in stoneage (+/- K-Meleon 0.6) if all ppl had been completly happy. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 12:11AM by guenter.

Date: November 21, 2010 05:16AM

4td8s
ndebord
4td8s
4td8s

4td8s,

i see. but KM 1.6 beta seems to work perfectly under Vista. I haven't seen it crash under Vista yet.

on my XP computer I received a different crash in KM 1.6 beta, this time referring to the macros.dll file:

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module macros.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000e9b9."

wonder if I should replace the macros.dll file with the pre-beta release?

on the other hand, I seem to have gotten rid of the "other" XP crashes with KM 1.6 beta by replacing that bookmarks.dll file with the prebeta cp4 version.

4td8s,

The thing is, I've not yet had a crash, so I can't judge. I've not seen a macros.dll file fault yet.

The bokmarks.dll replacement fixed that particular problem perfectly, so far as I can tell with limited testing.

N

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 21, 2010 07:17AM

siria
Have meanwhile looked a bit closer at that new setting, and there are 6 commands from the help menu that check that pref and adapt their behaviour. If the pref is set "false", then they call the "ID" commands. Funnily, all except "About" open *always* in normal new pages, obviously this is also the ID-command setting. I like that, thanks to desga or whoever did it smiling smiley
The difference between 'false' and 'true' is, that 5 of the 6 commands open either in the current tab or in a new tab. The plugins page opens either in a new window or a new tab. The about page opens either in a confusing menu-less new window or as normal page in a new tab.

Tab All Windows handled these issues (Help menu items, Error Console etc...) for versions 1.5 - 1.6 pre-beta. Desga2 added Help link options to 1.6b. Browsing - Window Diversion - Open Help menu options in a new tab. The extension has to be adjusted now because the default Help menu items which the extension hides have now changed. So the Help menu items will be displayed twice in 1.6b.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 07:20AM by jsnj.

Posted by: phenix
Date: November 21, 2010 09:51PM

Don't know if I am allowed to post here. So please excuse.

I tried KM 1.6 and got nowhere. Then I put KM 1.5 back on and
spent an hour trying to get my home page. Finally figured
it out. Right clicking on the Home icon didn't do it.

Just info. Will stay with 1.5 for awhile.
Thanks for K-meleon.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 22, 2010 02:12AM

Yes, you are allowed to post. Sorry that you did not have a positive experience with 1.6. Was the version that you loaded the 1.6 beta?

Just a couple of pointers on how to have two versions. For the 1.6 beta create a new folder and use 7Zip to extract the package to that folder. Note, use a different name like 'k-meleon 16 beta' for the new folder. When you click on the k-meleon.exe file the program will set up a new profile for you. You can find that profile by using the menu items EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY.

You cannot use both KMs at the same time unless you start the second one with a command line option of -new.

Post back here with any progress or questions. There are many users on the forum who can provide answers to your questions.

Date: November 22, 2010 02:25AM

phenix
1.) Don't know if I am allowed to post here. So please excuse.

2.) I tried KM 1.6 and got nowhere.

3.) Then I put KM 1.5 back on and
spent an hour trying to get my home page. Finally figured
it out. Right clicking on the Home icon didn't do it.

4.) Just info. Will stay with 1.5 for awhile.

1.) Sure ok to post the problem here.

2.) Check that the Firewall lets the new 1.6.exe out into the net.

3.) By default the new version used the same profile as the old. When You had changed things while trying to get 1.6 going You had to undo them for 1.5.

4.) Just in case You feel like experimenting again. smiling smiley

You could experiment better with new things with the portable 7z version.
It has a completely independent profile in its install folder - best set it up in Your personal files folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 02:27AM by guenter.

Posted by: phenix
Date: November 22, 2010 02:30AM

Hi Guenter.
I wasn't complaining. Just stating facts.
I downloaded the .exe version.
I then uninstalled 1.5 and installed 1.6.
When it didn't work for me I unistalled 1.6
and reinstalled 1.5.
Worked ok after I found out how to get my home
page again.
Thanks for K-meleon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 02:30AM by phenix.

Date: November 22, 2010 02:49AM

I merely tried to show what I thought might have gone wrong and how to solve.
Hope it is ok that I answered like it was a support question.

You will not be the only one that has a problem when testing a beta.
It can perhaps help someone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 02:50AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.