General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Un-underlining links
Posted by: John
Date: September 06, 2005 12:14AM

I have installed the past two versions of K-meleon on two desktops and one laptop and never had any problems. Very pleased with this uncluttered, sleek and fast browser.

Just one thing, I simply can find no way of getting rid of the line underrneath all html links. If anyone knows of one, please share.

Incidentally, I don't believe all the messages in the forums asking for God knows what all to be added to K-Meleon. I thought the whole idea was to have a simple browser. Even Firefox has become bogged down and feels heavy. The latest version repeatedly crashed my computer, so I got rid of it and just use K-Meleon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Un-underlining links
Posted by: Carson
Date: September 06, 2005 12:41AM

Ha ha! Hi, John, welcome to K-Meleon.

I'm laughing becuz you have nothing to fear in terms of "God knows what all to be added to K-Meleon."

Your sentiments are the same as the guys who work on the browser endlessly. That is why Hao Jiang, for example, brings out his ME (minimal editions) as well as his more play-around CCF line.

Most of the guys here have experience with Firefox. Most have other browsers besides K-M, and so there is a lot of knowledge about FF and Opera, for example, on this forum. That is one reason why most posts are refreshingly objective in their comparisons and contrasts of various browsers.

So the idea that Firefox became heavy and slow is well-known. AFAIK, a new, powerful system has much less trouble with FF speed than does an older system such as Windows 98. My Celeron 1.7/512 has a lot of trouble with Firefox, taking about 20 seconds to start it cold, versus about 7 seconds to cold-start K-M. When the two browsers are compared on warm starts, K-Meleon retains a great advantage, because restarts can be made very quickly.

Personally, I don't like everything in this universe being marketed and promoted. I love K-Meleon's quiet, unassuming way of doing things. I left Firefox partly becuz I couldn't stand the seeming need to "spread the word," which sounded to me more like the spreading of a plague.

But despite efforts to turn K-M into a poor-man's Firefox through overburdening the poor thing as well as loving it to death, I see that K-M is in control of its own destiny. Just as this wonderful forum, which is so elemental and antique that it doesn't even have running water, has persisted through God knows how many attempts to modernize it and plasticize it and promote it and to make it exactly the same as every OTHER forum in the universe--so K-Meleon the Browser maintains a very similar, endearing obstinacy to everything except bare-naked quality, light and fast and just what we always wanted.

Thank God.
:-)

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.