General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Minimalist setup
Posted by: Walt Stanley
Date: September 06, 2005 11:02PM

Well, after some tweaking, I have managed to get everything on one bar. I have Go, Search, Zoom, Mail & News, Main Bar, Layers, Url bar and Status Bar enabled. In the Main Bar I have Back, Forward, Stop, Reload, Home, History, Print, Privacy, Full Screen, View in IE, Preferences and Bookmarks.

I am using Wald Wolf rev. 1.7.11 (thank you Guenther) with help from Hao and Fred and Amboy Guy and jsnj and others.

You would think with all this help I would enjoy my KM and shut up, but, I do have one little question. It is not of great importance but I would like to have the "View Preferences. Right click to view Compact Menu" and "Edit Bookmarks. Right click to view bookmarks" reversed. If this is not possible, I
wonder if I could have only a "Compact Menu" and "View Bookmarks" buttons in their place?

Am I crazy or what? I spend hours trying to save having to move my finger from the left mouse button to the right mouse button. It's the challange of course :-)

Walt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minimalist setup
Posted by: Douglas
Date: September 06, 2005 11:29PM

I can understand the challenge! My own current K-M setup at:
http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/6282/kmin8ug.png
must seem very wasteful compared to yours, Walt!

Posted by: Carson
Date: September 06, 2005 11:40PM

Sure, Walt, you can easily move those around.

They are INSIDE your present skin (I am trying to avoid saying you have them "under your skin"). Um--just so I don't contribute to your wrecking the joint, I should ask you to get out of your K-M and go to the file and make a copy of it first. Then if something bad happens--after which your browser will not start--you can rescue your K-M with that backup copy.

I would copy the whole darnned K-Meleon. Of course, you can choose to just copy the files in question. Depends how much space you have on your hard drive.

The file in question is in wherever you have your K-Meleon: I'll suggest:
C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon\skins\phoenity[u]toolbars.cfg[/u]

Something like that. Yours won't be exactly the same as that. For example, you might easily be using a different skin. What does matter is that you select the skin you ARE using, which might not be the skin your K-M came with.

Right-click, select Ctrl-C (for COPY) and then do a Ctrl-V (for PASTE), and you'll get a new file called "Copy of toolbars.cfg". To do it properly, you can then go somewhere far, far away on the computer and do another Ctrl-V so you have a duplicate file well out of harm's way.

-------------------------------------------------------------
You can do the job itself in or out of K-Meleon.

That file you just copied can be OPENED WITH. . . [another right-click] any text editor, such as Notepad or EditPad or NoteTab or heaven knows what. It will open as a TXT [text] file, and you can sit back and have an excellent time juggling stuff around in it.

Then you save it and close it, and then you start up the browser, and life is grand.

If it works.

One wrong move and your browser won't start. But you can fix things by going back and doing more work on that file, or replacing the original.

NOTE: If you use the Loader, you must right-click on K-M in your taskbar and kill the Loader while you do this work, 'cuz as long as the Loader is running, you are really not properly out of K-M.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you choose to access the file (having made your backup already) INSIDE the running browser, it is

PREFERENCES >Plugins >Toolbar Control Plugin >Configure

That opens up the same file in a text editor.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, once you are there, how do you do it?

The list of stuff you see represents most of your K-M toolbars. The items you see are listed in the same sequence they appear along your toolbars.

Some are preceded with a hash # mark, which stops them from functioning.
Others are preceded with /* or followed with */ which also stops whatever is enclosed from functioning.

The items that come naked of those marks to the left margin are very much alive. Handle with care.

You can make 20 or 30 changes, save your file, and be in oodles of trouble. Try making just one or two changes at first and then saving and closing. You MUST RESTART YOUR BROWSER for changes to show up. If you have made just one or two changes, you can fix things much, much more easily than if you made a bunch of changes in one fell swoop.

Individual toolbar items begin with } and end with { . At the very end of any particular toolbar, you'll get a { and another { below it. Be careful. You must not accidentally wipe those out.

However, within any one toolbar, the work is fun and easy. Take a look at part of one of mine:
----------------------------------------------------------
Main Bar{
Back {
ID_NAV_BACK
Go back one page
mainbarhot.bmp[0]
mainbarcold.bmp[0]
mainbardead.bmp[0]
}

Stop {
ID_NAV_STOP|up
Stop loading this page. Right-click for more options.
mainbarhot.bmp[2]
mainbarcold.bmp[2]
mainbardead.bmp[2]
}

Forward {
ID_NAV_FORWARD
Go forward one page
mainbarhot.bmp[1]
mainbarcold.bmp[1]
mainbardead.bmp[1]
}
-
Reload {
ID_NAV_RELOAD|Reload Options
Reload page. Right-click for more options.
mainbarhot.bmp[3]
mainbarcold.bmp[3]
mainbarcold.bmp[3]
}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one has been customized. I've changed the sequence from
BACK
FORWARD
STOP

to
BACK
STOP
FORWARD

by moving things around, saving the file, and restarting my browser.

See that tiny hyphen - that comes just before RELOAD? That will insert a little separator line between clusters of icons, as you like.

To disable a command, I would hash it out, viz

# Stop {
# ID_NAV_STOP|up
# Stop loading this page. Right-click for more options.
# mainbarhot.bmp[2]
# mainbarcold.bmp[2]
# mainbardead.bmp[2]
# }

. . . which would be a pretty dumb thing to do in this example, but which makes sense with functions you don't want.

Okay, that is the end of your Intro. As you can imagine, it goes way, way further than that. If there is the slightest thing you're unsure about, ask. Your browser WILL NOT RESTART if you make a mistake.

You can change your toolbars, like, TOTAHLLY, if you want to.

Have fun!

Posted by: Carson
Date: September 07, 2005 12:04AM

That's a pretty blue background on your toolbars, Douglas. Nice. :-)

Forgot to mention, Walt - The menu bar that is just text with no icons, beginning with "File" (it shows on Douglas') -- you can remove that, and I suppose you did, right? Access via VIEW >Toolbars >Menu/Throbber. I remove both that menubar and the throbber.

Then you do need your Compact Menu (Preferences) operational. In the absolutely most minimal minimalist method, you would use ALT-X (an easy tweak in Accelerators) and press ALT and X to get a drop-down Compact Menu. You can run K-Meleon with not one single toolbar or icon visible. Not one!

My long thing above includes a few mistakes. I think I reversed the { and } marks, didn't I? Sorry. It's that darned brain rot again. :-)

Posted by: Walt Stanley
Date: September 07, 2005 02:52AM

Douglas: Your 2 bar setup is just about what I had and it works well. My trouble is sloth and never leaving well enough alone. I also like to make my own backgrounds.

Carson: That was a great explanation but did nothing to help me :-) I like to sit back with my feet up and run my computer with only the left mouse button.

The Main Bar in Toolbars.cfg has two items I would like to change-

Options {
ID_PREFERENCES|Compact Menu
View Preferences. Right-click to view Compact Menu.
history.bmp[5]
}

%ifplugin bookmarks
Bookmarks {
%ifplugin bookmarks
bookmarks(Edit)|&Bookmarks
EDIT Bookmarks. Right-click to VIEW Bookmarks list.
%endif
hottool.bmp[23]
}
%endif
}

In the item Options, I would like to change it to aCompact Menu only button, without the View Preferences and Right-click to view Compact Menu.

In the Bookmarks item, I would like the button to View Bookmarks with a left mouse button click.

What do you think? Can it be done?

Walt

Posted by: tech10171968
Date: September 07, 2005 03:34AM

tried some of the suggestions here, and this is what I came up with:

[/url]

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 07, 2005 05:37AM

Walt,

You can make them left-click menu buttons only as long as the rebarmenu plugin is enabled and of course yours is. Here's the result without the conditionals which you personally don't need. You should be fine with the code below.

Options {
rebarmenu(Compact Menu)
Compact Menu
history.bmp[5]
}

Bookmarks {
rebarmenu(&Bookmarks)