General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
SHOCKWAVE FLASH Crashes K-MELEON (w98)
Posted by: SUNFLOWERSUIT
Date: November 27, 2010 01:49PM

Hi there again,

I'm usung windows 98. And installed Adobe Shockwave flash plug in (I think 9).
I did it because i wanted to see clips on youtube. It didn't work sad smiley
Now crashes K-Meleon with some sites.
Can you help me with this problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 09:29PM by JujuLand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SHOCKWAVE FLASH Crashes K-MELEON
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 27, 2010 02:58PM

I move this topic to General - it has more chance to get answers there.
Plus - this Forum is about K-Meleon development. smiling smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 27, 2010 03:58PM

the np 9 series is not very stable and occasionally crashes.

try using the np plugin directly from the kmeleon plugins folder instead of routing it through the registry

first try this 10 version that should work on 9x
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-10.0.45.2.zip
extract the dll directly in the kmeleon\plugins folder and restart kmeleon

if the above doesn't work or gives you problems, try this 9 version
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-9.0.277.0.zip
extract the dll directly in the kmeleon\plugins folder and restart kmeleon

Date: November 27, 2010 05:14PM

I downloaded direct in the K-Meleon plugin map. It's now hidden. Do I have to unzip it? You know, I'm a bit of a noob. How do I do that?

And thanx for the effort you put in it. grinning smiley

Posted by: slayer
Date: November 27, 2010 10:21PM

Put the dll inside the plugins folder, with no sub folders. Use a zip utility to manage zip files, 7zip for example which is free.
If it still crashes try changing your display bit depth to 32. Try the version 9 first.
Remember to close K-Meleon (and close the loader if you have it) while doing these changes.

Date: November 30, 2010 07:48PM

Hello again,

I cant get it working.

Tried 10. with Zip. Extracted only the .ddl to kplugin. Result one hidden file. and seemed to work with add's (click here to get plug in ) on pages. But not with Youtube. It crashed K-Meleon again.

Then i tried 9. Extracted the whole zip to kplugin. Result 16 hidden files. and didnt work with add's (click here to get plugin) on pages. And Youtube crahed K-Meleon.

The i tried 9 in plugins (without the "K") in K-Meleon. No adds (click here to get plugin). 2 hidden files. Youtube Crashed K-Meleon.

Can you give a step by step guide?
And how do I remove/uninstall all the extracted files?

reminder! Its WINDOWS98 !

Futher more: Its a beautiful day !!!!!!!!!!!smiling smiley

Date: November 30, 2010 09:08PM

I'm in win98SE too.
Basically you need a single file called NPSWF32.dll that file should be inside the plugins folder not in the "K".

In example:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins\

You will need to do this with KM and the loader closed.

Start K-Meleon, then type about:plugins in the url bar and hit enter. You will see a list of the installed plugins.

You should see something like:

Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl

I don't know what you have installed, because you mention a lot of files.

DLL files are usually hidden, that doesn't really matter.

If you don't have KernelEx installed (or you don't know what it is) try the version 9 of the flash player first.

Date: November 30, 2010 09:32PM

NPSWF32-10.0.45.2.zip contains = 2 files: Npswf32.dll & FlashPatchreadme.txt

NPSWF32-9.0.277.0.zip contains = 1 file: Npswf32.dll

Best set Your system options to show all files including hidden files so that You know what You extract and that You do not work in the dark. BTW. the system attribute of the bold files is archive not hidden. So You must at least set Your system to show archive dll files.

I do not know what extractor You are using. With 7zip You copy the archive into the plugins folder and chose extract HERE.

p.s. "click here to get the plugin" meens no plugin installed. disrupted knows win98. And I know that the NL can be very nice in winter too. smiling smiley

To see where the plugins are that K-Meleon is using, go to

Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration

Type into filter pat to see "plugin.expose_full_path" toggle it to true.

Then go to about:plugins. Now it will not only show You the plugin version but also the path.

File name: C:\OS\system32\Adobe\Director\np32dsw.dll
Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5.9.615

Or in Your case C:/programme/K-Meleon/plugins/Npswf32.dll

plus version & number when it is correctly installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 09:48PM by guenter.

Date: November 30, 2010 09:58PM

About:plugins says

Shockwave Flash
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl

are all enabled

For the rest of your post(s) I will come back soon. Very soon.

Date: November 30, 2010 10:37PM

After activating plugin.expose_full_path: about:plugins says here =

File name: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta_en-US\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45

If I installed disrupted's patched file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 10:39PM by guenter.

Date: November 30, 2010 10:50PM

You will need to do this with KM and the loader closed.
I extracted to plugins (without K) it with K-Meleon closed. By "loader closed" you mean (?) the downloader closed?

I don't know what you have installed, because you mention a lot of files.
In Kplugins are a few files for example: full screen, bookmarks etc.

DLL files are usually hidden, that doesn't really matter.
I can see clearly now (the rain has gone) View>folder options>view>hidden files

If you don't have KernelEx installed (or you don't know what it is) try the version 9 of the flash player first.
I don't know what KernelEx is, for I am a noob. And probably stay a noob. But I have used 9 and there is NPSWF32.dll in K-Meleon>plugins (should be mission completed)

PART 2:

PSWF32-10.0.45.2.zip contains = 2 files: Npswf32.dll & FlashPatchreadme.txt
NPSWF32-9.0.277.0.zip contains = 1 file: Npswf32.dll

Used the niner.

Best set Your system options to show all files including hidden files so that You know what You extract and that You do not work in the dark. There is still a light that shines on me, shines until tomorrow, let it bleed

BTW. the system attribute of the bold files is archive not hidden. So You must at least set Your system to show archive dll files.
We commanded "ALL FILES"

I do not know what extractor You are using. With 7zip You copy the archive into the plugins folder and chose extract HERE.
I use Winzip 9.0 SR1 (evaluation)

p.s. "click here to get the plugin" meens no plugin installed. Really tongue sticking out smiley
disrupted knows win98.????What do you mean by this??????

And I know that the NL can be very nice in winter too. smiling smiley
I go skating (ice) in two days or Windsurfing on ice.

To see where the plugins are that K-Meleon is using, go to
Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration
Type into filter pat to see "plugin.expose_full_path" toggle it to true.

CHECK until "toggle it to true"

Then go to abouttongue sticking out smileylugins.
you lost me here. I tried to type about:plugins in the url:bar. I only see installed plugins

Now it will not only show You the plugin version but also the path.
I cant see the path. So lord help me in this moment of darkness

File name: C:\OS\system32\Adobe\Director\np32dsw.dll
Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5.9.615

Or in Your case C:/programme/K-Meleon/plugins/Npswf32.dll

plus version & number when it is correctly installed.

Date: November 30, 2010 10:55PM

The add's are now working well but youtube is hanging after two seconds of loading.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 30, 2010 11:12PM

SUNFLOWERSUIT
I cant get it working.
Tried 10. with Zip. Extracted only the .ddl to kplugin. Result one hidden file. and seemed to work with add's (click here to get plug in ) on pages. But not with Youtube. It crashed K-Meleon again.
Then i tried 9. Extracted the whole zip to kplugin. Result 16 hidden files. and didnt work with add's (click here to get plugin) on pages. And Youtube crahed K-Meleon.
The i tried 9 in plugins (without the "K") in K-Meleon. No adds (click here to get plugin). 2 hidden files. Youtube Crashed K-Meleon.

Can you give a step by step guide?
And how do I remove/uninstall all the extracted files?

Sorry, but why did you create such a mess, instead of reading and following this simple step-by-step explanation??
Note there is nowhere a "k" before the "plugin" folders given below, and the zips contain only a single dll, plus a readme text:

disrupted
the np 9 series is not very stable and occasionally crashes.

try using the np plugin directly from the kmeleon plugins folder instead of routing it through the registry

first try this 10 version that should work on 9x
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-10.0.45.2.zip
extract the dll directly in the kmeleon\ plugins folder and restart kmeleon

if the above doesn't work or gives you problems, try this 9 version
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-9.0.277.0.zip
extract the dll directly in the kmeleon\ plugins folder and restart kmeleon

By the way in my own win98 things got buggy if flash was fully 'installed' in the windows system and at the same time a copy of the plugin in the K-Meleon folder, so it was double. So I uninstalled flash completely from my system and only put disrupteds dll in the KM/plugins folder, and since then all works fine. But that seems to be different on each machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 11:18PM by siria.

Date: November 30, 2010 11:14PM

File name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\K-MELEON\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r277

Date: November 30, 2010 11:46PM

What happens with other flash sites, other than youtube?

Try goear.com to listen some music, and tell us if it works. Does it crash but the music keeps playing?

Date: December 01, 2010 12:34AM

SUNFLOWERSUIT
File name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\K-MELEON\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r277

Ok, that should should do the trick, except that the flash content can be a little heavy to stomack for old machines. It can be heavy on its own included JavaScript and optically sophisticated = resource hungry. Win98 tends to run unstable on pages heavy with content because of its IMHO inadequate memory management.

I just mention that because we had PPL that were insisting it was the browsers fault when others with better armed machines had no or little problems.

BTW. Looks good for skating here too. Lots of frost and no snow to cover the water. Press thumbs that weather stays like that smiling smiley

siria

So I uninstalled flash completely from my system and only put disrupteds dll in the KM/plugins folder, and since then all works fine.

K-Meleon should in theory use the plugin in his own plugins directory and not the one installed in: OS\system32\Macromed\Flash\. For all other mimetypes the one in his own plugins directory are prefered if two can handle the same file type.

But theory is gray and it is always good to travel lite - and to delete not needed files that can interfere grinning smiley. IMHO.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: December 01, 2010 07:30AM

Flash 9 always hangs for like 20 seconds on youtube in win98. Hang (no response) is not the same as crash. crash means program exits with error or computer will not work. Just be patient.

after first video is loaded and playing, it usually gets quicker.

if you download one at HD quality, that can cause hang for many minutes. you will need to ctrlaltdel and restart the browser.

your hardware is just too old. and that software is now almost 15 years old too.

you can get better performance from the machine if you install kernelX and use kmeleon 1.6prebeta with flash v10 release 45. just replace the npswf. but this prebeta has other problems, mostly cosmetic.

Date: December 01, 2010 09:43AM

Thanx, for those posts slayer, quenter and snuz2 smiling smiley

I will get into it.......

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 01, 2010 10:18AM

SUNFLOWERSUIT
Thanx, for those posts slayer, quenter and snuz2 smiling smiley

I will get into it.......

Guenter, not quenter. grinning smiley

Date: December 01, 2010 10:25AM

Flash 9 always hangs for like 20 seconds on youtube in win98. Hang (no response) is not the same as crash. crash means program exits with error or computer will not work. Just be patient.
You are right. The PC doesn't crash but hangs. I have be patient and tried a youtube clip for 20 min loading. It hung. I tried it for 20 seconds and it hung. Ctrlaltdelete said: doesn't response (translation from dutch)

after first video is loaded and playing, it usually gets quicker.
Are you sure?

if you download one at HD quality, that can cause hang for many minutes. you will need to ctrlaltdel and restart the browser.

your hardware is just too old. and that software is now almost 15 years old too.
Sssst (quiet), the pc can read to! I know but my Dell Dimension 3100 Harddrive is gone to hardrive heaven after using Combofix (Hijackthis was a "great help" with this) (I don't mean that smiling smiley ) Zo I need a harddisk with Windows cause I didnt get a OS disk with it.¬_¬

you can get better performance from the machine if you install kernelX and use kmeleon 1.6prebeta with flash v10 release 45. just replace the npswf. but this prebeta has other problems, mostly cosmetic.
Is this do-able for a noob like me? I don't care about cosmetics. I want a stable and fast (a possible) system. And Youtube. God, I miss all the new Brittney Clips.

What is the highest Windows I can run on this baby (Compaq Pressario from about 98)?

Date: December 01, 2010 10:30AM

Guenter, not quenter. grinning smiley

This is unforgive-able! In dutch the q looks like the G (should he (or she) buy this?)

Date: December 01, 2010 10:52AM

Try goear.com to listen some music, and tell us if it works. Does it crash but the music keeps playing?

At first, when I opened Goear.com from google a message apeared with Invalid bla bla and i had to restart the browser.

When I opend directly music (Kate Perry yeah) from Google it started allright but after 20 seconds it hung an the music stopped (maybe it doesnt like Kate Perry?).

Then I tried Goear.com again and it opened normally (although it was Espanish).

Overall: Is it worth to go on with this quest?????????????

Date: December 01, 2010 05:45PM

The site is in Spanish, but is for testing only, youtube requires more memory.

Please post your computer specs. CPU and Memory.

My computer is 12 years old too. Youtube works but it's slow, so I play the videos off-line. But the site doesn't crash on my PC, just loads slow.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 12, 2010 03:49PM

wow slayer. it looks like you and SUNFLOWERSUIT need to get newer & faster computers if you can't install faster processors and/or more RAM into your old computers. geez.

need at least an Intel Pentium 3 1GHz (Intel Core Solos/Duos or faster recommended) & 256Mb of RAM or more [1Gb RAM or higher recommended] to use Shockwave Flash version 9.x, 10.x & later. many flash-based web sites require computers with newer/faster CPUs. Intel Pentium 2s and slower just won't cut it in today's computing world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 03:50PM by 4td8s.

Date: December 13, 2010 12:30AM

Yeah, it's true I need a new computer.
On the other hand, I can watch videos off-line without much trouble. It's the adobe plugin the culprit of the slow-downs.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 13, 2010 04:03AM

4td8s
wow slayer. it looks like you and SUNFLOWERSUIT need to get newer & faster computers if you can't install faster processors and/or more RAM into your old computers. geez.

need at least an Intel Pentium 3 1GHz (Intel Core Solos/Duos or faster recommended) & 256Mb of RAM or more [1Gb RAM or higher recommended] to use Shockwave Flash version 9.x, 10.x & later. many flash-based web sites require computers with newer/faster CPUs. Intel Pentium 2s and slower just won't cut it in today's computing world.

4td8s,

I have an old P3, 768Megs RAM and XP PRO SP3 on my Thinkpad T40... the site works just fine for me. Am listening to nice Spanish music now... have no idea what they're saying, but when it comes to ballads, the Spanish and Chinese have some of the best in the world, imo!

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.