General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Flash player 10.2
Posted by: jemmi
Date: December 03, 2010 12:37PM

Hi,
I just come back from some Adobe confs where they were talking about Flash Player 10.2 beta and Adobe Acrobat hot smiley10). So, Adobe did a few enhancements to these products. Seems they had some pressure of new techs like android, ipad and Google TV... So, what is interesting for us here is the enhancement brought to Flash Player 10.2 : the video acceleration. Recently, i was used to use K-Meleon to reduce the amount of ressources allocated on my computer so i can play Flash more efficiently but now with this flash version, the internet is amazing. Now, by example on youtube, it seems that only the donwload time is a problem LOL... Well, beware because this is a beta version but seems to work fine. You can find it here : http://labs.adobe.com/

okay, i'm going to try Adobe X with kmeleon now.
Have a nice end of year!

PS: from my previous posts at the beggining of the year, i talked about creating hard disk partitions dedicated the kmeleon cache and the system memory with dedicated block size. So you people were right, it is true that on windows if we move the virtual mermory files, a tiny virtual size is still required on hard disk C:. So i have a fixed size for my virtual mermory on my disk M: and a variable size allocated on drive C: This for preventing system crash...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 12:39PM by jemmi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flash player 10.2
Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 03, 2010 03:00PM

jemmi
Hi,
I just come back from some Adobe confs where they were talking about Flash Player 10.2 beta and Adobe Acrobat hot smiley10). So, Adobe did a few enhancements to these products. Seems they had some pressure of new techs like android, ipad and Google TV... So, what is interesting for us here is the enhancement brought to Flash Player 10.2 : the video acceleration.

Recently, i was used to use K-Meleon to reduce the amount of ressources allocated on my computer so i can play Flash more efficiently but now with this flash version, the internet is amazing. Now, by example on youtube, it seems that only the donwload time is a problem LOL... Well, beware because this is a beta version but seems to work fine. You can find it here : http://labs.adobe.com/

okay, i'm going to try Adobe X with kmeleon now. Have a nice end of year!

PS: from my previous posts at the beggining of the year, i talked about creating hard disk partitions dedicated the kmeleon cache and the system memory with dedicated block size. So you people were right, it is true that on windows if we move the virtual mermory files, a tiny virtual size is still required on hard disk C:. So i have a fixed size for my virtual mermory on my disk M: and a variable size allocated on drive C: This for preventing system crash...

Jemni,

Give... tell me more about dedicated partitions for KM. Right now I use a ram cache for the disk cache and have thought about profile info there too.

What you're doing sounds interesting even if I don't quite get it. <weak grin>

N

Date: December 03, 2010 05:21PM

Well, I posted this in the subject'The real memory hog'! (i'm the 14th post i guess) smiling smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,105037,105612#msg-105612

Well, the result of this really fit my expectations. So, this was before Flash player 10.2 and its new video support. With Flash player 9 and 10 i had to do that :
Using WinXP pro, I first created a hard disk partition with a size = computer memory size * 2(2,5 the best). I used a block of 4K for the format.
(I found interesting infos about it this webpage : http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm)
After that, i change the virtual memory settings into the computer properties(Advanced tab/Performance/Button about settings/Advanced/Virtual Memory/Button modify).
Here i had to set both partitions to 'personal settings' both having a lower size of 2Mo. I set the max size of my 'virtual memory' partition( M: ) with 512Mo and the max size of my C: partition to 100Mo. I tried to set up the C: and M: with the 'let the computer decide' setting but it didn't work fine with me. But i saw it working fine on a WinXP 'family'. It even worked fine even with a Win9X and Win2K even if 32Ko block is required for a Win9X...

About the temporary file dedicated hard disk. I created a partition(4Go) and formatted it with 4K blocks. After that i changed the settings of the disk cache of KM with my new disk( T: ).

The final trick here is to use flashblock, so i can avoid the advertising and select only the flash i want to play. I don't have a workbench but with this trick, Flash videos are working with full screen (800*600) on my P3-700Mhz with 256Mo memory. But now, with flash player 10.2 i can desactivate flashblock!!!

PS:My partitions(Virtual memory M: and temporary T: ) even improve speed when using other programs. So just have to change the cache or profiles to my T: disk. By example, Java, openoffice.org, IE7, Gimp and more smiling smiley

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 10:02PM by jemmi.

flash = spy
Posted by: informative
Date: December 03, 2010 08:09PM
Re: flash = spy
Date: December 03, 2010 08:18PM

oh no! not for me : Flash = httpstreaming ... tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley
Another one : Flash = little stupid games i like grinning smiley
But this is an interesting thought, i mean : KM must keep the Flashblock features.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 10:00PM by jemmi.

Date: December 04, 2010 12:44PM

@ndebord : I just have read another posts where you're talking about ram disk. Really interesting!!! cause you are on the way of the 'Netbook' concept(no mechanical drives). But my having 10 years old pc and xp sp3 pro, I only got 256MB and none of the 512MB required... sad smiley So the solution i found out was : for improving speed the main idea for me was to reduce the hardware 'read/write' on my hard disk. I tried to improve the size of windows's read/write caches but no result... Fortunatly once i had to study filesystem basics for school and i understood that windows disk's C: is overloaded with too many features : virtual memory, temporary files, backups & restauration, setup & installs, profiles & cache, registries, ...). All this fighting with the 'My Documents' folder and the fragmentation making drive 'C:' a living nightmare. So with dedicated partitions and with a smaller filesystem tree in the temp partition : this helps a lot. So, coming back to my subject, i was suspicious about Flash for overloading not only the CPU but the hardware read/write too... but the video acceleration was the thing i wasn't expecting for : maximum performance on flash httpstreaming. Since SP2 support was cancelled by MS this summer, i thought XP of becoming the new win98 soon but now, i don't care! Without the flash problem : extra-time with XP and KM! i don't need to save FLV files on my hard disk any more, i can enjoy fast surfing and real full screen httpstreaming! That's why i'm so happy!!! smiling smiley tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley Happy end of year! smiling smiley

Date: December 04, 2010 04:46PM

jemmi
@ndebord : I just have read another posts where you're talking about ram disk. Really interesting!!! cause you are on the way of the 'Netbook' concept(no mechanical drives). But my having 10 years old pc and xp sp3 pro, I only got 256MB and none of the 512MB required... sad smiley So the solution i found out was : for improving speed the main idea for me was to reduce the hardware 'read/write' on my hard disk. I tried to improve the size of windows's read/write caches but no result... Fortunatly once i had to study filesystem basics for school and i understood that windows disk's C: is overloaded with too many features : virtual memory, temporary files, backups & restauration, setup & installs, profiles & cache, registries, ...). All this fighting with the 'My Documents' folder and the fragmentation making drive 'C:' a living nightmare. So with dedicated partitions and with a smaller filesystem tree in the temp partition : this helps a lot. So, coming back to my subject, i was suspicious about Flash for overloading not only the CPU but the hardware read/write too... but the video acceleration was the thing i wasn't expecting for : maximum performance on flash httpstreaming. Since SP2 support was cancelled by MS this summer, i thought XP of becoming the new win98 soon but now, i don't care! Without the flash problem : extra-time with XP and KM! i don't need to save FLV files on my hard disk any more, i can enjoy fast surfing and real full screen httpstreaming! That's why i'm so happy!!! smiling smiley tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley Happy end of year! smiling smiley

Jemm,

I don't think at this time I'm willing to play with partitions and settings, as I don't have a reliable backup in case I muck it up and I don't have the luxury of playing with what is a working computer that I use all the time (freelance and such). As for Flash, flashblock works just fine for my needs. And jsnj's little icon is nice too for that odd site where you need to have flash enabled all the time (very seldom, but still out there).

Good to hear that you ahve managed to get it all working with just 256megs RAM. That is pretty astounding! Most who do that have to run things like IE6 and it runs slow as a slug. I've saved your FAQ to a file for future reference when I can afford to shut this thing down for a bit and after I get a full backup.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/27/free-ramdisk-for-windows-vista-xp-2000-and-2003-server/

Above is the site where I picked up rramdisk, which is a rework of the Windows test bed. Guenter discovered, some time ago, that K-Meleon works best when the disk and memory caches are the same size and after some experimentation, I decided (subjectively) to make each 8 megs in size. IF you were to use the ramdisk, the default settings are R: Drive and 16 Megs size, which is what I left it at. I use 8 megs of it for KM and 8 megs for IE8.

Thinkpad T40 XP PRO SP3 P3 768Megs

N

Posted by: JohnHell (unlogged)
Date: December 04, 2010 07:50PM

jemmi
Flash Player 10.2 : the video acceleration
Have they, finally, made a real hardware acceleration like ShockWave? (ShockWave used Direct3D and OpenGL to render) Are you telling this?

I'm not a beta tester, as it is well known here, but it would be awesome if they really accomplished that. I've got not patience waiting for that to be released.

Date: December 05, 2010 01:48PM

@ndebord : Jeez!!! :O you have 768MB RAM? Gosh, i understand why you are lonking around ramdrives winking smiley

Date: December 05, 2010 01:57PM

@JohnHell : Yep, they call that 'Stage Video' but as they exlplained it, it's the beginning of integration into Flash player from a bigger project called 'Mohehill' where rendering perfs are equal to playstation 1... don't know if it's true about ps1, but this new video acceleration works on my old pc. As I'm a big fan of tv series :p, you can't imagine how big this is to me LOL tongue sticking out smiley This is Xmas before Xmas LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 10, 2010 10:16PM

this beta version is no doubt eeasier on resources..thanks jeemi for the update
for those who want to try it without installation routine:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-10.2.151.49-beta.7z

Date: December 11, 2010 06:04AM

jemmi
@ndebord : Jeez!!! :O you have 768MB RAM? Gosh, i understand why you are lonking around ramdrives winking smiley

jemmi,

Yup!

Been using them just about forever... makes a huge difference, but KM 1.6 and Gecko 1.9 is much, much faster than KM 1.5.4 and Gecko 1.8.

N

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 10, 2011 05:05PM

disrupted
this beta version is no doubt eeasier on resources..thanks jeemi for the update
for those who want to try it without installation routine:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-10.2.151.49-beta.7z

forget that beta version, disrupted. the final release of Flash Player 10.2 (v10.2.152.56) is now available at the Adobe Flash Player web site.

And with FP 10.2 final being released, Adobe abandoned support for FP9.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 05:06PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: Matt
Date: February 10, 2011 07:01PM

Standalone Flash Player dll-file (v10.2.152.26) not patched. Unzip NPSWF32.dll to K-Meleon plugins folder; usually C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins.
DDL (=direct download) from MultiUpload recommended smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 01:12PM by Matt.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 10, 2011 10:04PM
Posted by: deadlock
Date: February 11, 2011 06:39PM

with Version 10.2.152.26
those changes would
start at 0x47D4B0.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: February 12, 2011 06:02AM

Reporting it works in W98 with KEx and KM 1.6. Did not test accelerated video, but this computer is so old, I wonder if it really has any significant video acceleration in its video driver....

Posted by: deadlock
Date: February 12, 2011 10:31AM

@Matt

Your linked file has dll-version:
and not
typo?

Works fine with & without patching
on Radeon X1200 @WXPSP3.

Date: February 12, 2011 01:13PM

Yes, v10,2,152,26 is currently the latest build.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks deadlock for reporting.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 12, 2011 02:25PM

@Matt,

How to patch this version ? I haven't found the string given there is a few time.

Does anybody knows how to patch Linux version ?

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: February 13, 2011 03:44PM

@JujuLand
Don't know; I've never done this. disrupted always makes a patched version and puts it on kmext. So I guess we have to wait.

Date: February 14, 2011 12:38AM

Matt
@JujuLand
Don't know; I've never done this. disrupted always makes a patched version and puts it on kmext. So I guess we have to wait.

Matt,

Quite right. Disrupted will, sooner or later, provide us with a very nice patched Flash player DLL and as I am addicted to his feats, I shall quietly wait!

N

Posted by: 888
Date: February 15, 2011 11:26PM

...but what is the problem with flash player 10.2?
(I have just upgraded it to 10.2.152.26 and I haven't notice anything)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 16, 2011 12:07AM

Problem? No one, AFAIK.

Well, right now, you won't notice anything. It's to hope that in the near future the mayor video sites in flahs add the stage feature and then you'll notice better performance with the hardware accelerated graphics, but, right now... nothing in the horizon.

Date: February 16, 2011 06:11AM

I think the patch they are speaking of is to prevent the deletion of downloaded flash from the \temp folder. This is one way of saving flash content such as music or video to a portable device. I don't like it because it really clogs up your disk with flash files. I like to use ClipConverter.cc to extract flash, it's free and offloads the computation to somebody else as well...

The other patch would be to stop flash from saving "information" on which sites you visit on your computer, sometimes called "supercookies". I think there are kmeleon extensions which clean these up without patching flash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 09:46AM by snuz2.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 16, 2011 04:09PM

Yes, we're speaking of the way not to delete video.

Clipconverter.com is not free, and the services we can grab is really small (youtube, dailymotion, ...) but it's not what I want to grab.

Clipconverter.cc is free, but has the same default than clipconverter.com, only major sites ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: March 01, 2011 10:29PM

you'll need to update flash player 10.2, again, 888.
adobe has just released version 10.2.152.32 of their flash player.

Date: March 02, 2011 04:22AM

snuz2
I think the patch they are speaking of is to prevent the deletion of downloaded flash from the \temp folder. This is one way of saving flash content such as music or video to a portable device. I don't like it because it really clogs up your disk with flash files. I like to use ClipConverter.com to extract flash, it's free and offloads the computation to somebody else as well...

The other patch would be to stop flash from saving "information" on which sites you visit on your computer, sometimes called "supercookies". I think there are kmeleon extensions which clean these up without patching flash.

snuz2,

I find the pain minimal.... when I'm done browsing, I just run a batch file to delete all TMP files in my c;\tmp folder where disrupted's hexed flash dll saves files.

N

Date: March 03, 2011 09:43AM

Yes, the pain is basically nonexistent if you know what you're doing! I have a program that runs at startup that cleans all the temp files older than a few days old. But is your batch distributed to users of hacked flash? Does anyone warn them of the problem of endlessly storing files on their machine? I was just warning them in case they don't know. It's a surprising side effect for naive users. But if you want to rip flashes from sites, no alternative!

If anyone wants my temp cleaner it is on msfn. Some programs used to store things there between boots ( like back in the 90's) which is why I don't just delete them on startup. HOpe nobody still does that.

A lot of people just want to download mp3 from youtube, I fall in that category, the clipconverter.cc is one of several sites that do it now that dirpy is gone. Grabs the clip and converts to audio in one shot. Just letting those who only need this know that there is an alternative.

Date: March 03, 2011 02:11PM

snuz2
Yes, the pain is basically nonexistent if you know what you're doing! I have a program that runs at startup that cleans all the temp files older than a few days old. But is your batch distributed to users of hacked flash? Does anyone warn them of the problem of endlessly storing files on their machine? I was just warning them in case they don't know. It's a surprising side effect for naive users. But if you want to rip flashes from sites, no alternative!

If anyone wants my temp cleaner it is on msfn. Some programs used to store things there between boots ( like back in the 90's) which is why I don't just delete them on startup. HOpe nobody still does that.

A lot of people just want to download mp3 from youtube, I fall in that category, the clipconverter.cc is one of several sites that do it now that dirpy is gone. Grabs the clip and converts to audio in one shot. Just letting those who only need this know that there is an alternative.

snuz2,

Yes, there are always plenty of newbies out there, including myself often. <weak grin> Would be interested in another batch file though! <VBG>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.