General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Update K-Meleon
Posted by: Hatschi
Date: December 03, 2010 10:03PM

Hi, i did change some preferences and insalled extensions while using k-meleon 1.54.
Is it posible to transfer them if i install k-meleon 1.6?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Update K-Meleon (but keep old version too)
Posted by: siria
Date: December 03, 2010 10:30PM

Well, everyone will have his own prefered way.
The easiest would be to just "overwrite everything", but frankly I'd rather leave the old version as it is (never change a running system!) and instead produce an independant new version. It's a bit more complicated if you don't really know what you're doing, but anyway, that would be my personnally prefered way:

Click in your current browser on Edit > Manage profiles > Ask at startup.
Click Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory. Leave it open.
Close browser and loader.

Make a copy of your current K-Meleon program folder (which has the macros in it), and name it e.g. K-Meleon16beta1.
If you have customized default files (perhaps added own useragents in
K-Meleon/defaults/pref/I10n.js) copy those to a new name, but disable for now by changing the ending to ...js.bak (you don't want to overwrite all new settings, just manually add your few changed lines later)

If you're using the "Klassic" skin and have customized buttons, make a copy of that folder (skins/Klassic), name it e.g. Klassic(mine). That avoids that your changes will be overwritten accidentally. You can later switch to that skin "Klassic(mine)" in the Preferences.
If you're planning to use an older skin that wasn't updated for 1.6 yet, you'll have to manually add the menus on the back-forward buttons (see desga's announcement post for KM1.6beta).

At the moment (beta-1) there are no translations yet for this version.
If you're currently using non-english menus, the outdated translation files may cause bugs, so it would be better to delete them, but they are a bit shattered in various places. So perhaps just keep this in mind, switch to english and wait for new stable translation files. Sure you can still try the old ones if you like, but probably buggy.

Okay, now unzip or install the new KM version into that folder and let it overwrite the old default stuff.
Delete the 2 .dat files in the components directory.
Replace the buggy beta-1 bookmarks.dll (in kplugins folder) with the version from 1.6preBeta.
Start the new version by clicking on its k-meleon.exe

If the profile manager pops up, click on "NEW" profile.
If it doesn't (more likely), that means your new profile is created inside the KM program folder. If that's a problem for you, in case you may not know how to give yourself writing rights there, tell KM to place your profile in your windows-user appdata directory, do this by deleting or renaming the file "profile.ini" in the KM folder. Restart again.

Now you have a default profile with your macros from the global macros folder.
Suggestion to leave that "default" profile as it is, for testing purposes later, but add a second profile for your own settings.
Make sure your profile manager is set to "Ask at startup".
Restart browser again, the profile manager will pop up, click "NEW" again, name new profile e.g. "mine".
Use clipboard to copy over your old profile contents (folder still open, see line-3 above).
Open your new "mine" profile:
Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory, and paste those files from the clipboard into it.
Restart browser and see... ;-)

Uhm okay, must say this looks quite a bit complicated now, but really it's not as hard as it looks :cool:
Yes, there are easier ways, but as long as it's the first beta, that's not yet the stable version, therefore a bit risky to just throw away your current version.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 11:06PM by siria.

Posted by: Hatschi
Date: December 03, 2010 11:22PM

tx for working this out. sry, ure right. sounds complicated. I´ll wait for 1.6 and look how comlicated it´s to adjust.
Perhaps than i´ll come back to ure instruction. I hope it´ll help some people anyhow. smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 04, 2010 11:51AM

Dein Nick klingt wieder mal so wetterbedingt erkältet. grinning smiley

Kann ich davon ausgehen, dass du beim Installieren die Standard Pfade belassen hast?

Installationsverzecihnis: ./Programme/K-Meleon/

Profileverzeichnis: ./Dokumente und Einstellungen/Hatschi/Anwendungsdaten/K-Meleon/

Dann:
1.) Sicherungskopie des Profileverzeichnisses erstellen.*
2.) K-Meleon Ikone auf dem Desktop in 1.5.4 umbenennen.*
3.) Unter: ./Programme/K-Meleon1.6beta/ installieren.*
4.) Die Skins vom 1.5.4 zu 1.6 kopieren und umgekehrt.*
5.) Das Verzeichnis ./K-Meleon/locales nach ./K-Meleon1.6beta/ kopieren.*

Backup der Daten immer wichtig.
Der neue legt eine neue Ikone mit Namen K-Meleon an.
Dann hast du zwei die funzen. Die Profile werden gemeinsam benutzt.
Du brauchst z.B. alle Skins, falls du die Browser abwechselnd benutzen willst.
Gibt dir einige Teile von K-Meleon1.6 auf de-DE statt en-US.

* Nicht zwingend aber besser. Ich z.B. mache es so (oder so ähnlich). smiling smiley

Du kannst 1.6 theoretisch auch oben drauf in ../K-Meleon installieren.
Es sollte funzen. Nur. Es kann immer mal was schief gehen, was machst du dann?

Wenn du die Profile im Installationsverzeichnis hast?
Profile.ini und Profiles Verzeichnis nach 1.6 kopieren.
Sonst wie vorher machen.

Du kannst auch die 1.6Portable /zip version nehmen und installieren.

Die Ikonen Eigenschaften auf dem Desktop zu 1.6beta.en-US\k-meleon.exe -new
ergänzen, Beim 1.5.4 auch -new zu den Eigenschaften hinzufügen,
dann kannst du beide gleichzeitig starten und benutzen. Das ist ein Vorteil von unabhängigen nicht gemeinsamen Profilen.

Deine Einstellungen bekommst du in diesem Fall rüber, indem den Inhalt vom Verzeichnis

./Dokumente und Einstellungen/Hatschi/Anwendungsdaten/K-Meleon/

nach ./K-Meleon1.6/Profiles kopierst. Nicht vergessen für das Verzeichnis Profiles Schreibrechte zu geben.

Wenn Du Vista oder Win7 hast, mußt du meine Pfade den neuen Namen anpassen.
Ich habe für XP erklärt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 01:14PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.