Posted by: Al.
Date: May 13, 2005 07:03AM

How to update K-Meleon v0.9 to a newer GRE:

http://www.holgermetzger.de/kmeleonupdate.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Update
Date: May 13, 2005 09:16AM

As this info was quite handy I've copied it over into a new tutorial available here on the Wiki for future reference:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=KmeleonUpdate

Tested the method out myself and it works, albeit without a functioning history.dll (which is the usual problem with the unofficial builds as well). Can't win them all I'm afraid.

Date: May 13, 2005 09:17AM

Might just add, download dialogue works fine, and also about:config as well.

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 13, 2005 11:38AM

Tha'ts great instrtuctions. Thanks. Al.

Hao

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 13, 2005 02:01PM

Al - History does not function when certain redundant dll are in components
- make sure that You use &update only the dll that are present in a version where it works (that is easiest) and leaves You normally with everything working.
A wholesale update of all components has disadavantages.
(but = still better than unfixed GRE).
regards

Posted by: everling
Date: May 13, 2005 02:05PM

Here's a useless little tidbit. :-)

Personal experience: Trying to paste Mozilla 1.8b2 components into a K-Meleon 0.9 using the instructions above won't work. ^_^

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 13, 2005 02:16PM

The above instructions only work for Mozilla 1.7.x series.

Hao

Posted by: everling
Date: May 13, 2005 02:20PM

I know. ;-)

Date: May 13, 2005 03:04PM

i never leave out trying anything & everything either
& ?
found that useless tit bit too ; o )

there are some by 0.9 hao that work with 1.8.x .
there are also some dynamic 0.8.2 that do with 1.8.x.

it would be nice to have a k-m that works with several GRE like e. g. sylery does.

Date: May 13, 2005 05:31PM

Just occured to me when i started the update of wald_wolf to GRE 1.7.8
(because i sometimes forget that too - specially when i started to experiment with it)

if Components folder or any item inside is renewed

- please remember to delete (yes!)
compreg.dat and xpti.dat so that k-m makes them new and knows the new items.

If Chrome: any item is renewed it is usually & if a new item is introduced -
- please remeber to delete (Yes!)
overlayinfo (folder - but can be rdf in some gecko driven apps) and chrome.rdf
so that k-m makes them new and knows the new items.

Posted by: simpleinventor
Date: May 13, 2005 06:43PM

How about a batch copy script?

Date: May 13, 2005 07:05PM

we are all volunteers - do so, if You have the experiance.
(U can base Your work on mine = U are free to use it).

Personally i think there is not much demand - so i do not intend to do a bat or cmd.
Many here prefer to use a file manger and want to see exactly what they are doing.
i would personally not us an automated script and normally want to look at files first.
& greetings & good weekend to You from Hannover, guenter

Date: May 13, 2005 07:06PM
Posted by: Carson
Date: May 13, 2005 07:36PM

Guenter, you can do both. I would not want to try it right now, because I have not done it for years--but I remember it is easy.

Your bath file can contain PAUSE commands.
Each pause command can have its own TIME.

If the batch file runs past, say, 20 or 50 commands, each one can wait for the user to react. They might wait for just 5 seconds, or for 15.

If the user does nothing--if he leaves his computer and makes a cup of coffee--the entire batch file will execute. If 40 commands were set @ 10 seconds each, it would require an extra 6 or 7 minutes, but that would not matter.

If the user wanted to watch the batch file progress, he could keep his finger close to the button and make it work faster. Maybe he just wants to watch one or two specific items.

It is an excellent system. The nice thing with batch files is that you can put a good ending on them, such as:

"Well done, Guenter. You are very clever."
;-)

Date: May 13, 2005 07:46PM

: o ) remember thread about age - i also used novel and older doses.

i even made bats (with alain tutoring me a little) last year - but here it is =
You either want 2 look at it or expand it and copy it into place fast
// preferably using a backup?

p. s. though i somtimes catch myself even at editing life install dats - i do not recommend working without backup // safty net // greetz

Date: May 13, 2005 10:04PM

Al - History does not function when certain redundant dll are in components
- make sure that You use &update only the dll that are present in a version where it works (that is easiest) and leaves You normally with everything working.
A wholesale update of all components has disadavantages.
(but = still better than unfixed GRE).

I'll look into the components folder later on when i have a little more time and do the old file comparator thingie. If I can figure it out I'll add the instructions to the tutorial.

How about a batch copy script?

That'd work, provided that the user had the same folders set up as per the batch file, however having said that it's also quite easy to alter the batch file accordingly.

Date: May 13, 2005 11:43PM

Al, agreed - but with a great, great cave... (care- be warry)

better not to have that MS way update without thinking - naturally it will work.
we could even use things in our macros to guide the way (i have just seen things that work or almost that way in k-m alain´s great French version)

- i personally would prefer another way =
to have people look - compare file list with file commander (function compare files).
(or leave it because it comes from good/trusted source?)
but keep them looking and thinking do i (can i) trust upload that is possibly from Hannover - or do i think - "it is not from a forum person & possibly not good
because all can be faked".

= i do not want any to switch off their thinking and looking - by using automated things = they take a first step towards that not thinking attitude = my opinion.

naturally all are free to use my upload to alter things done by me -
and use it for making it automatic.
but i just do not smother thinking -> though: maybe i am wrong?

Date: May 14, 2005 12:12AM

Don't worry I'm of the same philosophy myself, I prefer to teach people how to do something rather than hand it all over on a silver platter.

As for the update I think I have a solution. I'll do the file comparator thing myself and just post some instructions on the tutorial for those willing to experiment with the methods described (file differences etc). They should be able to follow the steps to remove unnecessary files to make History work. As for your update that'll of course remain as a link here in the forum for the duration of the shelf-life of the posting, however long that may be before it dissappears into the archives, and thusly your instructions will still be part of the tutorial in a way so people can learn from it.

Once Brian's happy with his small and quick update that'll be placed as an alternative solution on the Wiki for those who do not wish to experiment but want to quickly update things due to time lacking etc. It will be good if he does an installer as it isn't going to be a huge file for anybody to download.

Date: May 14, 2005 12:20AM

brians work is good - 4 all that want it that way. (this forum is a save place!)

for my things - i am working to update
"Lake Applets by..." to include that the place has k-m things & not just applets.

I looked into time schedule 10 h morning in au. 2 night here -
i will be back after 12 hours - & now go = bed time. greetz

Posted by: Brian Bruns
Date: May 14, 2005 12:27AM

Alright, heres my release so far - its pretty simple, and deletes the two dat files that need to be:

http://downloads.sosdg.org/kmeleon/kmeleon-geck178-update.exe

If you have good results with it, let me know. If not, let me know too.

Brian
bruns@2mbit.com

Date: May 14, 2005 01:10AM

Tutorial's now been updated:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=KmeleonUpdate

If people are happy with your update Brian I'll upload the package to the Wiki and change the link on the tutorial page to take the load off of your server, also ensuring the package will always be available as well.

Posted by: Brian Bruns
Date: May 14, 2005 01:21AM

Sounds good to me (to upload to the wiki), though it doesn't really matter to me either way. I think the update in its current form should work ok - though if anyone has any other files they think I should include, now is the time to tell me smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2005 04:15AM

Let me make a guess.

I think you will not see a great big lot of reaction. My guess is that a lot of peopla are reading this, but changing the GRE? No-o-o-o-o . . . . ;-)

There are so many things to learn in K-Meleon. People are tripping over the config files. They are trying to make it make sense. You guys seem to be geniuses. Maybe you are.

Anyway, a word of caution here. I saw Ulf's clear disappointment expressed when he said no one seemed to care about K-Meleon. There was no feedback, he said, and he thought it was not of any real interest. And yet, at the very same time, lots of people were asking questions in the forum (he doesn't read the forum, he said) and lots of people were saying they loved the browser.

My guess is you'll get a quiet response to this thread. I think people are reading it and are interested, so please don't make Ulf's mistake. I agree that it is good to show people how they can do it themselves. But, change the GRE? Omigosh. In Vancouver I am sure more people would change their sex than change the GRE. Heck, God would have made the world in just 5 days and had the whole weekend off, except he screwed up the GRE and there went his Saturday . . . .

Thanks for your endless contributions, guys. Your work is definitely appreciated, so on this one maybe you should anticipate a quiet response, but just agree it's the GRE that's keeping 'em quiet.
:-)

Date: May 14, 2005 11:07AM

i agree - when it is finished program/product that works there is not much feedback any more. since jsnj made new macros there are less questions in forum ; o )

i always thought that Ulf is very aloof. & does not care?

Including new files? i have included those i knew that we might need them already.
(some xpt where we use dll = the matched pair works better - &mime-edit)

regards

Date: May 14, 2005 12:20PM

-- Very aloof, yes.
-- Does not care, no.

Most people mix easily with other folks. Some don't. It is important to understand that people who seem aloof may give us different signals that they do care. One such signal might be to give us a nice new K-Meleon for a Christmas present. :-)

Date: May 14, 2005 01:14PM

a new k-m for x-mess is a great present to get
// for me anyway because it is my favorite browser and one of my most used pc tool.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 14, 2005 01:28PM

Guenter,

There is an old saying here in the States that goes like this.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Without Ulf, we would not have the K-Meleon of today. He has put in the work over the years and another old saying we have here goes: "He is what he is."

He has always maintained that we need more than one developer. If Dorian is interested in coming aboard in that role, then more power to him. I am really quite amazed that in the past year or so, some kind of energy flow has enfused the K-Meleon community to produce this massive output of creativity.

Since I'm in the mood to repeat folk sayings, you could say this about K-Meleon.

"You've come a long ways, Baby!"

<g>

N

Chatting about: K-Meleon Update
Date: May 14, 2005 04:08PM

@ndebord,
I have never complained about anyones work and do not look into the mouth...
(German proverb 2). but: i consider it a great present.

when i say someone seems aloof
It is not animatversion - it sounds only cross becuase English is not my language.
(to me jnsj also made real big work and time effort but appears less aloof)
but also there are several people trying to learn to build k-m - it would be sure nice
if someone was there to answer their questions too.

Dorian is a wizzard with compiler settings.
For all there is a time problem - making a new k-m is a big time problem.
more people can share work & reduce that problem.

k-m community: many here have learned something since they came (e. g. me).

The making of the automatic update 1.7.8 shows that even non devs can create
things when each knows a piece of the puzzle and adds it to a community effort.
(but this has been observed before and also is encouraging to do/try more).

p. s. a pitty for community that some e. g. Jan and Monkee-Sage have gone Linux.

Date: May 14, 2005 05:47PM

The gift horse was a real, honest-to-goodness horse, given as a gift. People would estimate the age of any horse, and therefore its worth as a work animal, by looking at the condition of its teeth.

If the horse had been a gift, that was considered a bad idea. It might be taken as an insult. Or it might cause the benefactor to take back his horse.

The expression is pretty old. It was used in the 1600s as we use it today. But records of it exist in Latin from, would you believe, as early as 300 A.D. Those are written records, so the expression could be way older than that. Cool, huh? :-)

Date: May 14, 2005 07:05PM

did not know that Romance laguages had it too
- can mean older than language split between their branch and ours else loaned word.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.