General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
'Foreign" bookmark file warning msg
Posted by: Somersault
Date: December 20, 2005 06:05AM

For convenience, I pointed my bookmarks to my existing Firefox bookmarks file. Gives me a matched set of bookmarks, including the Personal Toolbar, on both browsers.

But every time I close K-Meleon, whether or not I've changed bookmarks, it gives me a warning that "The bookmarks file was not created by this plugin" and asks if it should be saved or not.

Now, this was a handy reminder the first time, but after the 100th time it's a bit redundant! Two clicks are needed instead of one to exit K-Meleon.

Any way to turn off the warning?

Somersault

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Foreign" bookmark file warning msg
Posted by: Douglas
Date: December 20, 2005 08:39AM

As far as I've found, once you say 'yes' to saving an initially "foreign" bookmarks file, K-Meleon shouldn't issue the message ever again. However, if you have modified the file with another browser in between using the file in K-Meleon, K-Meleon may detect the change and issue the message again.

K-Meleon inserts this line into a foreign bookmarks file:
<!-- Generated By KMeleon -->
and maybe uses its absence to trigger the message, but I'm not sure of the facts.

And, of course...
Posted by: Somersault
Date: December 20, 2005 03:47PM

Every time I use Firefox it saves bookmarks.html on close, regardless if it's been changed or not. Since I use Firefox a lot, I keep getting the message.

OK, thanks. If you, or anyone else, think of a way to nuke the message altogether it would be handy.

Somersault

Re: 'Foreign&quot; bookmark file warning msg
Posted by: Drahken
Date: December 21, 2005 08:54PM

This issue has been brought up several times in the past. The bookmakrs plugin needs updated, and that annoying (and quite pointless, really) message needs to be removed. You don't get that kind of message if you share a file between moz and FF or FF and netscape etc, so there's no reason for KM to have it.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: December 22, 2005 01:55AM

How would K-Meleon check to see if it is a valid bookmarks.html file?

Brian

Posted by: Drahken
Date: December 22, 2005 11:55AM

The same way all the other browsers do, silently.
The point is that none of the other browsers that use the same kind of bookmarks file need to nag the user about it (hell, the others don't even know (or, apparently, care) whether they created the file or a different browser created it. They just look to see the "this is a netscape bookmarks file, do not edit" stuff at the beginning of the file and accept it as a legitimate file.) Additionally, KM itself doesn't even care if it's a valid bookmarks file. If it did, it would nag you when it went to OPEN the bookmarks file. When it's saving over the original, it makes no difference at all whether or not the original was a valid file, therefore the nagging at save/close makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 22, 2005 03:08PM

Kmeleon doesn't support all the data a bookmark file can contain (like site icon). If you save the bookmark with it, they will be lost, that's why it's warning you.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.