General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon 1.6 and Windows ME?
Posted by: Aaron
Date: December 29, 2010 12:17AM

Right now I'm using 1.5.4 to surf the web, but is this the last version of K-Meleon to work on Windows 95/98/ME systems without installing KernelEX?

Just curious. I hope somebody knows. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 1.6 and Windows ME?
Posted by: snuz2
Date: December 29, 2010 09:54AM

Yes.

Date: December 30, 2010 07:31AM

Okay thanks.

I downloaded the KernelEX gizmo. And I also download FireFox 3.6 for testing purposes. What do I do now?

Do I just double click "KernelEx-4.5Final.EXE" and it takes care of itself, or do I have to overwrite/copy some of the files myself?

Are there any simple instructions I have to follow? I know my way pretty well around DOS, if that matters. Actually I'd prefer to do the whole procedure in DOS, that way I know exactly what's going on. Or whatever, I don't know.

Date: December 30, 2010 07:33AM

Another thing which just crossed my mind: if this is something where I'm replacing the "kernel" of my computer, would it be safer if I used my emeregency boot floppy disk, and then do everything then?

Posted by: siria
Date: December 30, 2010 09:37AM

"FINAL"...? :O Oh, they posted the new version just tonight, wow!! What a timing for you grinning smiley

It IS a bit risky, although the recent versions are probably much improved. But just in case, better first make a backup of your system.
So "All I Know About KernelEx" I've thrown together here: ;-)
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,112558

Date: January 01, 2011 03:55AM

I think i'll just buy Windows XP off ebay and save myself the trouble. My computer is 866MHz 128MB RAM, so it should be able to handle it. Especially if I upgrad the RAM up to 512MB.

Thanks anyways.

I guess this is the end of using WINDOWS ME for me. :-(

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 01, 2011 09:47AM

ME starts fast and is lite compared with XP.
IF You buy XP anyway - maybe set up a dual boot system.
Double boot facilitates system backup. Which is IMHO needed before You use KernelX.

XP setup can be easily customized with "nlite".

Posted by: isch bins
Date: January 01, 2011 11:38PM

hab noch w98 mit k-meleon, der unterstützt noch die aktuellen webseiten-dinger, wegen e-mails usw. firefox geht nur bis 2.0.20 un man kommt ne mehr in seine postfächer rein damit. aber mit k-meleon :-)

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: January 08, 2011 02:38AM

guenter
ME starts fast and is lite compared with XP.
IF You buy XP anyway - maybe set up a dual boot system.
Double boot facilitates system backup. Which is IMHO needed before You use KernelX.

XP setup can be easily customized with "nlite".

which is what I was using, guenter. WinXP SP3 on the primary hard drive on the HP Pavilion computer and WinME on the secondary hard drive. both had KM 1.6b2 on them and worked fine. on the ME OS, I already updated KernelEx to 4.5 final.

Note that I'm using two hard drives, not just one.

Date: January 17, 2011 10:18AM

I deleted K-Meleon and went back to using Internet Explorer 6. And I'm shocked really at the performance.

It's actually much faster than K-Meleon or Firefox, and hitting WAY BETTER at having multiple windows open. K-Meleon starts to crumble pretty quickly with more than 1 tab or window open. Which always annoyed me.

I think the only reason why I ever had problems with Internet Explorer was because I visited too many p0rn sites and didn't have any spyware protection. But that was years ago. Who would've figured a ten year old browser would still work better than K-Meleon?

What a huge difference it makes just to add Spyware Blaster 4.4 and Tiny Firewall. If I had thought of doing that back in 2005 then I probably would've never bothered with FireFox or K-Meleon. Both of which I think are slow crap now. Sorry.

I simply wasn't protecting my computer well enough back then. If I had taken some precaution Internet Explorer would perform much better.

Adios, K-Meleon. NO wonder nobody uses that piece of crap.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 17, 2011 06:19PM

Aaron
I deleted K-Meleon and went back to using Internet Explorer 6. And I'm shocked really at the performance.

It's actually much faster than K-Meleon or Firefox, and hitting WAY BETTER at having multiple windows open. K-Meleon starts to crumble pretty quickly with more than 1 tab or window open. Which always annoyed me.

I think the only reason why I ever had problems with Internet Explorer was because I visited too many p0rn sites and didn't have any spyware protection. But that was years ago. Who would've figured a ten year old browser would still work better than K-Meleon?

What a huge difference it makes just to add Spyware Blaster 4.4 and Tiny Firewall. If I had thought of doing that back in 2005 then I probably would've never bothered with FireFox or K-Meleon. Both of which I think are slow crap now. Sorry.

I simply wasn't protecting my computer well enough back then. If I had taken some precaution Internet Explorer would perform much better.

Adios, K-Meleon. NO wonder nobody uses that piece of crap.

Funny... I've used KM for quite some time in W98se, W2000 and now XP PRO SP3... on an average surf I have, oh 30 tabs open. nada problems.

IE6, FWIW, is no longer a secure browser, but HEY, if that floats your boat, go and enjoy the ride.

N

Posted by: snuz2
Date: January 17, 2011 08:44PM

IE looks faster because it does not delay drawing the page and constantly "reflows" it, giving you something to look at while it loads. Mozilla likes to wait a while before drawing the page, which makes it look slower, but you can read the page as soon as it draws. You can make Mozilla browsers just like IE if you'ld like by changing the initialpaintdelay pref in about:config. Just set it to zero and there is no delay. The default delay is 250 msec although they've been making it shorter lately.

IE starts faster because it's already started when you boot your computer, your desktop and explorer windows are IE. FF takes a long time to load, Kmeleon much less, and if you use the "loader" and load it at boot time it will take the same time as IE, that is, nothing.

The only other typical difference is in the network settings. If IE6 and beyond is up to date, they can overwrite the default tcp/ip settings with something more sensible. This means only IE will get the good settings. You should go to speedguide.net (or .com?) and download their tcp/ip tuning tool. Most important setting is the Receive Window, if it's set for dial-up and you're on broadband, will definitely slow you down. IE can overwrite this and get a speed advantage over other programs that use the network connection.

The newer browsers, chrome, opera, recent mozilla have made big improvements in javascript speed. It's noticeable on some pages with a lot of script.

But basically, there are no real differences in speed on a modern computer, the advantage of newer browsers over IE is security and configurability, sometimes better UI.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.