General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
A Question About Profiles.
Posted by: Dawn
Date: January 02, 2006 12:10AM

Hello.

I hope I have this is the correct forum, I also hope I can explain my idea correctly so you can understand it.

I have been using k-meleon as my primary browser for a while now but I have always had to install two copies of it to make things work the way I want them to. The first copy contains 5 profiles for the sake of this lets call them profile 1 to profile 5. The second copy of k-meleon is configured as my primary browser so when I click on htm files or URL they open in it.

Now this set-up is firstly confusing and also a waste of space so what I'm wondering is this, is there a way for me to by-pass the profiles on the first copy of k-meleon so that when I click on a htm file or url so they automatically open into lets say profile 2 without asking me to pick a profile. Also I was wondering is there a way to make a desktop icon that will automatically open a predefined Profile.

If either of these ideas are possible I would be most grateful if someone could explain the methods that might be used to implement them.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Question About Profiles.
Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 02, 2006 04:34AM

Sorry for taking so long. Usually we're a pretty quick. I was hoping someone else would come along and say something, but kko wrote a tutorial for something that may help you achieve what you are speaking of. Here is the URL if you'd like to see:
http://people.freenet.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/multi-user.html

If you have any sort of problems with it, come back and ask :-). We'll be here ;-).

Brian

Posted by: Drahken
Date: January 02, 2006 12:49PM

1) Click edit->manage profiles (it might be under file->manage profiles on some versions, or possibly tools->manage profiles. Some of these things get changed around in some of the custom versions.) choose the profile you want as default, and uncheck "ask at startup".

2) Make a shortcut to the program, right click it and choose properties. In the "target" blank, add -P "profile-name". For example: "c:\program files\k-meleon\k-meleon.exe" -P "profile-1". This will launch KM using profile-1. This trick works with all gecko based browsers.

Posted by: alain aupeix chez wanadoo fr
Date: January 02, 2006 12:54PM

My tool Km_Profiles can solve your problem, and is automatic

It works with w9x and XP, and can be found in Km_Tools

A+

Posted by: Dawn
Date: January 04, 2006 10:57PM

Thank you one and all for your prompt response, IÂ’m not kidding I expected it to take a week or two before I saw a response to my post. Once again Thank you.

Dawn.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.