General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A list of available KM builds
Posted by: fast sjonny
Date: April 10, 2005 09:32AM

Although I am not a Windows-user anymore I am still following the KM forums. But, at this moment I have no idea which builds are available, except of the standard builds. I see Hao is making builds now, I see Guenter has made a build, but may be it is good to make this topic available for all those unofficials, with a short explanation and link to the topic about the build or a link to the build itself...

So, please post a link and a short explanation of your unofficial build here for new KM users and users which are not following all posts in detail.

Greetings from Holland,
Jan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A list of available KM builds
Posted by: fast sjonny
Date: April 10, 2005 09:35AM

I will start with two links myself.

The official builds can be found under download in the menu, or by clicking on the following link: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14285

The unofficial 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg build, the first unofficial static build of K-Meleon, can be found at: http://www.hch.uwnet.nl/k-meleon
This build has some options which are not available in the official 0.8 builds as for example Google-search. Because it is a static build and build on the 1.8a Mozilla Gecko rendering engine it is faster then the official 0.8 builds.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 10, 2005 12:49PM

an standard 0.9exe by the official devs with upx(made smaler for download)exe,
with an update of Gecko backend libraries to mozilla 1.7.7,
a boxed classic skin updated by fast sjonny,
a Throbber donated to w-b+ project by Eyes-Only,
a mimetypes editor made by Monkee-Sage,
Aggreg8 RSS Newsreader made by Philip Roch,
a built in Qjot editor (idea from German issue by clickfish),
slightly altered menus (ideas from Sebastian and w-b+) available at:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1181247/dire_wolf.exe.html

p. s. simply the "theme" that i personally use - only that i use German menus.
nothing as pretentious as a built - merely an update to my tastes and knowledge.
I do not claim that this work is of any use except to consume UR download time.

Posted by: Fred
Date: April 10, 2005 04:27PM

My K-Meleon Express B5 modified is based on Hao's B5 build
with a static exe.
It has been updated to 1.7.7 security standard.
The history is as history.txt in a box, not in xul.
Many search engine macros have been added.
It works with the usual skins.
Download address :
http://rapidshare.de/files/1202139/K-MeleonExpressB5Modified.zip.html

My earlier K-Meleon Express Modified is based on Hao's B3 build
with a static exe and a non-static exe.
I have updated it now to 1.7.7 security standard.
The toolbar configuration has been changed, it consumes less
space on the screen, but this version works only with the
included skins. I've added two new skins, now four skins are included.
Many search engine macros have been added.
New download address :
http://rapidshare.de/files/1210143/K-MeleonExpressModified.zip.html

Fred

Posted by: Carson
Date: April 10, 2005 05:47PM

I mentioned in Hao's thread this morning that there are (as of this morning) four K-Meleons that would be the "main" ones at the moment. Because you've included the classic Wechselbalg, fast sjonny, we would have these five builds, or versions of builds:

As mentioned above, in the second post:
1. The basic 0.9
2. Wechselbalg 0.8.2+

Guenter's, above, in the third post:
3. Guenter Giant
-- Guenter has been characteristically modest concerning his K-M, which I call "Guenter Giant." I didn't get the impression that many people understood its significance, but I would think that anyone seriously interested in K-M would want to look at Guenter's work. Very capable, quiet, professional expertise, IMHO. :-)

Fred's April 9 version of Hao's Express b5 {1.7.7} static rendition of 0.9, above, in the fourth post:
4. Fred's b5 -- (It needs a name, Fred! :-) )
This might be considered the most relevant current rendition of Hao's Express series. Fred acknowledges it as Hao's work, but he adds excellent search references and the other items detailed in the previous post.

Hao Jiang's switch back this morning to his 0.020 series:
5. Hao Jiang's 0.9 {1.7.7} CCF 0.020 pr3, April 10-05 - State of the art work by Hao, available from his blog at http://kmeleon.blogspot.com/

6. From the same source, Hao's Express beta 5, which Fred's work is based on.

Those would be the key K-Meleons as of this morning, fast sjonny. I think newcomers are well advised to begin with the basic K-Meleon 0.9 (second post, above). Hao's work attracts people with all sorts of special interests and requests, which Hao has worked hard to make available. The advantage in beginning with the "official" 0.9 is to get a good, clear, working knowledge of what K-Meleon IS. The other work represents the far-reaching potential of the best browser the world has ever seen. Um, until this morning, anyway.
:-)

Posted by: Penang
Date: April 11, 2005 07:09AM

At Hao's Chinese blog - http://kmeleon.blog.edu.cn/ - I asked the following question: "What's the difference between the *CFF0.0x0 series and the *CFFexpress series ?"

Since I got no reply there, I am asking it here.

Can anyone help out, please ?

Xie Xie, Mucho Gracias, Dankeshen, Thank You, Merci Beaucoup, Spaciba !

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: April 11, 2005 07:19AM

Hi, Penang,
I did answer this question on that blog. You can check it again.

Express 版本的宗旨是简化浏览器功能. 方便普通用户使用

0.0x0 Seris是集成更多功能,为高级用户定制方便.

之前的Express 0.01 Beta版本的另一个用途是测试新的引擎. 这点看来还是很成功的.

现在0.0x0 Series也启用了这个新的更加安全的引擎.

今后的Express 版本将更加简化. 并且还会为 Gecko 1.8b2的新引擎进行测试

Hao

Date: April 11, 2005 07:30AM

Ever since I was a kid, I've thought Chinese characters were beautiful. The traditional Chinese especially. Here in Vancouver, this lettering is everywhere on buildings and throughout downtown displays all over the city. The official second language is French, but actually Mandarin would be the most useful language after English here. :-)

Date: April 11, 2005 12:21PM

The German built by clickfish is also updated to 1.7.7 and was always very
innovative: http://www.cappoodoo.de/download.php?id=126&s=info

The German issues by Rumpel - i do not know current location - are very good too.

Posted by: Penang
Date: April 12, 2005 04:58AM

Xie Xie Ni, Hao Jiang Ge Ge !!

Date: April 12, 2005 07:15AM

what is that in German - i hope approval? yes? (ja)

Posted by: Nicholas
Date: April 12, 2005 08:05AM

Can someone please point me in the right direction to get the latest build that has the security holes plugged.

I downed this:
Fred wrote:
My K-Meleon Express B5 modified is based on Hao's B5 build with a static exe.
It has been updated to 1.7.7 security standard. The history is as history.txt in a box, not in xul.Many search engine macros have been added.
It works with the usual skins.
Download address :
http://rapidshare.de/files/1202139/K-MeleonExpressB5Modified.zip.html
------------------------------------------------
but when I do a Help | About K-Meleon I get this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050319 K-Meleon/0.9

It states Mozilla 1.7.6 and not 1.7.7 Or is that just a typo from Fred?

Date: April 12, 2005 02:08PM

Yes that should have newest dats - You only have too exchange tree dats.

(as we found out) - look inside security thread about newest holes and how 2.

else take mine or download newest engine from mozilla and kopy needed files into it.
German version from clickfish and mine contain more new dats - so they say 1.7.7
but that is only a surface thing. Fred´s is secure also.

p. s. and look here:
http://www.cappoodoo.de/downloads/secu_browser/
about browser ; o ) safty.

Date: April 12, 2005 02:17PM

For some reason, Fred's shows Gecko 2005-03-19, and is labelled 1.7.6.

I thought that was just because he or Hao forgot to change the information. But something is strange. Hao's is labelled Gecko 2005-04-06, and is labelled 1.7.7.

Hm. Bit of a mystery, because Fred's was supposed to be based on that one.

Date: April 12, 2005 02:31PM

no that is done automatic by k-m about page
- left hand top after FAQ - will inform about core dat (but i do not know which.

the min to security update is AFAIK 3 dats - 1 grafic plus two js engine.
(or maybe only 1 grafic and 1 js?)

Date: April 12, 2005 02:48PM

For about: page, KM just automatically recognize infos in the .dlls at components folder. I think Fred use 1.7.6 components dlls. And I was using 1.7.7 ones.

Hao

Posted by: rob
Date: April 13, 2005 06:07AM

Hi Gunter.
I tried your build, not bad, not bad at all.
UPXed exe feels sluggish, so I replaced it with standard 0.9 exe, and everything flies again.
I don't like Q-jot. You know that it collects your system info.
http://rapidshare.de/files/1246148/Q-jot2.jpg.html
Heimbuch said its not true, but....
http://ryxi.com/general-software/3-338-qjot-editor-may-be-malware-beware-read.shtml
I'm using PolyEdit, its almost the same size, has better spellcheck and strong encryption, and doesn't phone home.
Now, what's the story with npmozax.dll, why km needs activeX?
And the last, did you reduce components folder to 100?
I'm running km 0.7 with 99 files in components, but they are very different from moz 1.7.7

Posted by: cartman
Date: April 13, 2005 06:18AM

Have tried consecutively all k-meleon builds and found out that all have one major problem- history doesn't work any more. The only one that's OK for me is the official one with 1.7.5 engine. Looks rather strange, because no one has mentioned it here.

Date: April 13, 2005 07:36AM

rob (---.dynamic.mts.net)
i agree spellcheck is not one of the strong points.
active x is a a matter of taste - i normally have it. but at high security level.

Yes reduced it 2 about 100 - with helps & info from Moz embed site.

but i am testing still.
I can share - U want to try?

& it feels fast but probably can do less than our normal official.
plus maybe has grave faults?! - real beta = not the secure things the official k-m devs team passes 4 beta (& = they passes almost finished things/products).

cartman (213.171.63.---) You can use history.jar from w-b and the macros to ty in?
i still wait for Hao to do a 1.8 without history fix (=fast). i do not care 4 fixes.
but i agree it is sort of a problem - at the moment we have no official update -
i cater for my own tastes. 1 = speed.

(& i understand that people that heave k-m at/2 next level spent much time = we have to wait untill they catch up with their normal routines & schedules & then next do another good job at k-m). holpe You understand that 2.
regards guenter

Date: April 13, 2005 09:16AM

. . . rather strange, because no one has mentioned it here.

Cartman, yes, the history problems have been mentioned, but I think even in Search you are right; you won't get satisfaction. I don't use History at all, and I am guessing that the problem is that a lot of people don't.

There are at least three, and no doubt more, favoured ways to move around the Internet and return to places of choice quickly. History is one. I use Bookmarks; and, um, we were just discussing another very popular technique the other day; forget what it is. Selected Searches? I forget.

As people learn, they pick up on a technique which works very well for them, and they tend to stay with that technique. :-) But that means maybe only a third of the people working on these things--and there are just a few in total, anyway--are putting much energy into History.

They'll get to it, I'm sure, but I think that's why it seems as though it's being ignored. Similarly Bookmarks are set for a remake, but that won't be anytime soon. Fortunately, Bookmarks can live without it for quite some time. I understand that History is in much more dire straits.

Considering how important it would be for you, I would suggest staying with 0.9. I think 0.9 is an excellent K-Meleon, and I use it a lot. Of the 7 K-Meleons that are operable on my desktop at this moment, three of them are 0.9 originals; the most recent one I set up less than two weeks ago, on April 1. 0.9 {1.7.5} is an excellent build, as Ulf meant it to be. The others are experimental, even though they contain admirable innovations.

Posted by: Cartman
Date: April 13, 2005 04:01PM

2 Carson.
Not that I really needed history, can pretty much do without it. The point is if I knew it couldn't work I wouldn't spent three hours trying to fix it thinking I was doing something wrong, and maybe k-meleon would have stayed on my computer.
Just curious, how much faster than opera it has to be to compensate the time wasted on tuning it?

Date: April 13, 2005 05:08PM

Mainly K-M has been compared with Firefox, which tends to be slower on machines less able to handle it. In other words, slower, older systems, or systems with less memory, seem to do especially well with K-Meleon.

People using newer, more powerful computers don't think K-M is necessarily faster than other browsers. On the other hand, you rarely hear anyone saying K-M is slow. It rates more consistently than the others as being fast or very fast.

. . . . time wasted on tuning it . . . . Well, that's too bad. I hope I haven't wasted too much time on computer systems; I'm still not sure. There is a certain delight in the quiet logic and in learning things generally. Philosophically I feel better about learning things in nature (birds are a favourite of mine; but science, ecology, astronomy . . .) as there is a sense that the subject material is "absolute" in that it will never change, or else it will change but not for millennia. I am less sure of time spent studying computer systems which change in just a few years. Give me a chance to show you a Chestnut-mandibled Toucan in Costa Rica, and you'll get the idea pretty quick. :-) But I definitely enjoy working with K-Meleon.

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 13, 2005 06:03PM

btw, I'm using KM RC2 since january. Could anyone explain to me, what RC2 means, and where this version has its place in the above list of builds?

Date: April 13, 2005 06:25PM

RC2 Means Release Candidate 2. That one is a little bit too old since it is before the 0.9 release. May have some bugs in it.

Hao

Date: April 13, 2005 07:57PM

Michael, if you wish, you can keep that one and try a newer Hao Jiang build as well. They won't work simultaneously, but they will work one after the other; i.e. seconds apart, for your comparison. Warning: it's addictive! This is why I have so many K-Ms on my computer! :-)

Posted by: realgeorge
Date: April 14, 2005 01:46AM

It`s been a while since I tried K-Meleon, so I want to go a little easy at first. I have a Win98, 300MHz, 128mb RAM, P2 on 56k dialup. Carson said, "--the most recent one I set up less than two weeks ago, on April 1. 0.9 {1.7.5} is an excellent build, --". I would like to start here, but can`t find the place to download it. Can anyone help?

Posted by: realgeorge
Date: April 14, 2005 01:53AM

Sorry guys. I thought Carson was refering to a later April 1 release of the 0.9 (1.7.5), so I`m downloading the 1-18-2005 release of the 0.09 now. Thanks

Date: April 14, 2005 03:39AM

Realgeorge, sorry I was ambiguous there. You have the right one. Keep in mind you can have additional builds--there is no need to get rid of one in order to have a second--or a fiftieth.

But every single build MUST be in its own folder.

Date: April 19, 2005 01:52PM

& unlike other Geckos they have independent Profiles by default. So it also does not matter if You butcher a k-m or a profile. it will not affect the k-m in the next folder
(like it sometimes does with other Geckos).

Posted by: J.C.A.N
Date: April 23, 2005 06:55PM

Just curious why the:
File /files/1202139/K-MeleonExpressB5Modified.zip.html has been deleted.
Reason: Deleted by uploader.

How's everyone, have been very busy with external things the last few months. Not to mention a couple of destructive recoveries and such. Good news is I have finally got a second OS on, using the "PCLinuxOS" which they have re-made into their own version called "ATL"(All Things Linux) [url="[url]http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?"[/url];][b]"Scot's Newsletters Forum"[/b][/url].

But haven't been able to find the external modem that they say is used to connectATL. Brunowho heads things up there, helped me to transfer the live cd distro and make an install to my hardrive, so presently I have the 2 OS's on my PC. Bruno:continues to insist that the "CenDyne External Serial V.92 modem is the absolute best in connectingATL to the internet, I always thought that the serial's were the slowest in connection. Spoke with a couple of others techies I know, and they say I should be able to just get another internal modem (anything other than the "Lucent Win Modems"as they are not compatible with Windows)and download the correct drivers and should be able to connect online using those. But I haven't searched yet to see if I could get those additional drivers for that modem before purchasing it. Another project I want to get finished, as I have been dying to use the Linux OS for the last year now with all the patch's aimlessly eating away at my hardrive, even though I did install another 512mb stick of ram a few months ago, soon I will have to do the same with my hardrive; presently running on 63% of 40gigs.

Getting on with it now: I am downloading Hao's: CCFO.020PR.5.exe at the moment. Had been using bangbang's (MozillaZine unofficial builds) most resent trunk build and not enjoying the speed in which he usual compiles into all his builds. Hao's builds for me always seemed to be stable and quick without any problems so since I haven't been circulating much lately; thought to myself to take a visit over here and see how things are going and how everyone is. Hope this thread finds all of you in good health and prosperity (yes the prosperity thing is rare for alot of us but it all depends on how you define "Prosperity"really, some are rich in other resources, peace, mind, etc)

Glad to see the forum is still as active and up to snuff.

J.C.A.N

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.