General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
w98 essential files
Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 30, 2006 02:37AM

Having had more than a few crashes, both in KM 1.0xx and KM 0.9xx that are the result of my running a legacy operating system (W98se), I would like to see a list of all the relevant DLLS that you should use in place of what ships with the regular distributions. Make it a nice zip file, with a little read me file and put the info in the Wikki with a download link.

What do you think?

<g>

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: w98 essential files
Posted by: rmn
Date: May 30, 2006 03:37AM

Please consider first, how legal this will be. (I'm not saying it's illegal, because I don't know.)

Date: May 30, 2006 03:44AM

O.K. If this is not legal, and I don't pretend to know, one way or the other, then links to the appropriate files somewhere on the web would do the trick, no?

As for KM specific files like gkwidget.dll and gklayout.dll, that is a different story I would think.

N

Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 30, 2006 02:42PM

M$ has redistributable files available on their site for the various OS's that have different options for making them available. Let's figure out what is needed first and then go from there to see if they can be made available here or pointed to from the web site.

Date: May 30, 2006 03:36PM

Yep, agreed. Better start the list first and see if MS allows redistribution of those files.

> As for KM specific files like gkwidget.dll and gklayout.dll, that is a different story I would think.

I dunno, they come from Mozilla and are covered by whatever licence they're covered in (GPL? MPL? NPL?). The GPL, at least, requires the source code to also be made available, yadda, yadda.... This is quite frustrating.

Posted by: vpowell
Date: May 30, 2006 03:39PM

The most important thing is to find out the minimum group of files needed.
The best thing would be to find open-source files (maybe ReactOS or Wine files, but both of these would require someone familiar with those file sets). Next best would be redistributable M$ files.

Date: May 30, 2006 05:07PM

rmn,

rmn>> I dunno, they come from Mozilla and are covered by whatever licence they're covered in (GPL? MPL? NPL?). The GPL, at least, requires the source code to also be made available, yadda, yadda.... This is quite frustrating.

Geez. What a can of worms. After a reinstall of KM 0.9 with Brian's patch, I had to go back and find the older gkwidget.dl and gklayout.dll to make it all play nicely with W98se.

<sigh>

N

Date: May 31, 2006 03:13AM

Yeah, (assuming that what I said about requiring the source code is correct) the GPL is quite unweildy for small things like that. But I think this can be worked around by linking to the Mozilla (source) package that contains the source code for that version of Gecko. But, really, I don't know. K-Meleon has been distributing binary Gecko files without providing their source code and so far AFAIK nobody has said anything.

By the way, what's the problem with those new Gecko .dll files?
Do they cause the same problem in SeaMonkey / Firefox?

Cheers,
rmn

Date: May 31, 2006 04:58PM

rmn,

Well if Mozilla's distributing withhout source code, I think we don't have to worry. Your solution of linking is an elegant solution to the problem of bundling I would think.

I can't speak to the problems in SeaMonkey and Firefox, as I don't run either. I run the last Mozilla Suite 1.7.13 as it handles the old extensions I want instead of orphaning some of them. (I run Chatzilla, Composer and Composer, along with InfoRss...not the best of the rss readers out there, but one that works O.K. with the Suite).

N

Posted by: Tor
Date: June 02, 2006 02:17PM

Are these links listed anywhere yet?

Date: June 02, 2006 04:35PM

Tor,

<<Are these links posted anywhere yet?>>

Not yet. Stil in the talking stage about which files and how to proceed. I would hope, soon though.

N

Posted by: Blowser
Date: June 04, 2006 04:52PM

@ ndebord. Yes I would hope soon too
These http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=71476 help but are not enough

Date: June 04, 2006 09:53PM

Blowser,

Yes, it does look promising, but very early yet. Version 0.2.5 is by no means ready for prime time! (unfortunately)

N

Posted by: Still Using Win 98
Date: June 17, 2006 01:11PM

Any new prospects for this?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.