General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Changing menu width
Posted by: c.g.
Date: August 30, 2006 10:23PM

Hi there,

I use a very small-screened laptop, and I'd like to know how one might go about shrinking padding on the drop-down menu items (File, Edit, View, etc.) so that they take up less horizontal space on the toolbar and their submenus take up less vertical space on my screen. Specifically, I'd like to imitate the menus from Firefox's Minifox theme.

A screenshot of what I'm talking about:
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5506/minifoxgj7.gif

Thanks,
c.g.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing menu width
Posted by: CaptnBlack
Date: August 30, 2006 11:46PM

You can edit menus.cfg and change the names of the menu to make them a little bit smaller.

For example find the "Main Menu" in menus.cfg, and edit the file menu like this:

# ----- File

&File{
!New
-
Ne&xt Window\tCtrl+F7=ID_WINDOW_NEXT
Pre&v Window\tCtrl+Shift+F7=ID_WINDOW_PREV
-
&Open...\tCtrl+O=ID_FILE_OPEN
%ifplugin layers
macros(OpenLast,Open &Last Session\tCtrl+Alt+L)
%endif
&Save Page As\tCtrl+S=ID_FILE_SAVE_AS
-
!Print
-
Work O&ffline=ID_OFFLINE
-
!Close
}

You could shorten Window to Win, and shorten other names to make the menus smaller.
Just don't remove the "&" or the letter after it, or "\t", or remove any of the commands such as "Ctrl+F7=ID_WINDOW_NEXT" or you will lose functionality of some features.

Re: Changing menu width
Posted by: c.g.
Date: August 31, 2006 02:33AM

Hmm. That will work for the width problem, but i want to decrease vertical padding too. I poked at a css file in chrome\classic.jar and managed to get my submenus to slightly overlap their parent menu. Interesting, but still not really what I want.

'm new to this stuff. Is classic.jar the right place to be looking? And are there any other files (besides menu.cfg) that modify the way menus work?

Thanks,
c.g.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.