General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to install Spellchecker ?
Posted by: leegold
Date: April 22, 2011 03:01AM

Hi,

New to K-Meleon and can't figure out how to install spellchecker. There is a wiki entry on how but I can't figure out exactly what the procedure is. In the spellcheker download there are six folders:

components
dictionaries
kmextensions
kplugins
locales
macros

Some of these folders name already exist in the K-Meleon installation folder - which adds to my confusion. I don't want to hurt anything pre-existing...

Exactly how do I install spellchecker?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to install Spellchecker ?
Posted by: pointer
Date: April 22, 2011 06:13AM

Extract the contents of the archive (7z or zip file) into your main K-Meleon installation folder. Make sure your zip/7z extracter doesn't extract into a newly created subfolder.

Important: afterwards delete the compreg.dat & xpti.dat files from the \Program Files\K-meleon\components\ folder in order to register spellchecker components; those files will be recreated upon next K-Meleon restart.

FAQ/Help

Posted by: siria
Date: April 22, 2011 07:03AM

Yes that's the method for K-Meleon 1.5.x
In KM 1.6beta it's much easier, spellcheck extension contains less files, and no deleting of dat files necessary anymore.
In KM1.6 stable I have hope the spellchecker may already be included in the browser, but that's the devs decision.

Don't worry about "overwriting folders". Yes it sounds a bit worrying, but that's the usual method to just ADD new files to a folder. Or to overwrite only those of the files in a folder, which exist already with the same name, but that usually isn't true with extension files (with rare exceptions).
And in KM it's normal that the very few extensions which need more than just a single kmm file to function, like spellchecker, cannot keep all their new files in one own folder together, but e.g. must put additional dll files or such in kplugins or components folder, and also all language-dictionaries must be collected together in the KM/dictionaries folder.

Just for understanding, most other KM-macros (perhaps 90%?) are extremely simple filewise, and need nothing but a single kmm-file to work. Those are 'installed' by just placing the kmm into one of the "macros" folders, or to 'uninstall' it, have that kmm-file removed again from that folder.
That all macros from the kmext site also contain a "kmextensions" folder doesn't mean it were needed for the function of an extension itself, it's just for convenience if you later want to uninstall it again. It's a collection of little info files to tell which files exactly an individual extension brought with it, meaning which have to be deleted again if you uninstall it later. That's quite helpful for those few extensions which contain several files, like spellchecker.

TIP: Not just if you're unsure, but in general, it's greatly recommended to make a backup copy of at least your customized profile folder (which you find via Edit>Configuration>Profile directory). That contains all sorts of personal settings and bookmarks etc. And if you install extensions/macros or customize your skin buttons, you're on the safe backup side if you also copy the k-meleon program folder.
That gives you all freedom to try out all sorts of customizing and experimenting, even if you're not sure what you're doing exactly ;-) In case anything doesn't work as you thought, just take your backup copy and replace it, and all is exactly like before smiling smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 07:52AM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 22, 2011 01:54PM
Posted by: leegold
Date: April 22, 2011 04:49PM

The "tutorial" is the wiki entry which I cite. It does not IMHO have enough details. Again, I need step by step complete instructions on how to install spellchecker for 1.6.. Many of the folders are preexisting and overwriting them would wipe-out functionality. Some folders in the spellchecker 7Z download do not preexist...

I need per the current 7Z spellchecker download and K-Meleon 1.6 - what is exactly the install procedure and how is used after install? Is there a button I should look for or are misspelled words automatically highlighted and then right click for suggestions like Firefox?

Please I need a step-wise procedure cited - the wiki entry is not enough.

Thanks

Posted by: siria
Date: April 22, 2011 06:37PM

Sigh. Another try. The link in the wiki does point you here:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm

And on that page you find this download and description:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/spellcheck0.8.7z

Spell Check 2
spell checks your spelling as you type. misspelt words get highlighted with a red underline, right clicking displays word suggestions to choose from. supports many languages/dictionaries.
menu entry: text-input context>spell check
extra notes: -
versions supported: 1.6.x

Obviously you downloaded the wrong version, the one for 1.5.x, while now you say you're using KM1.6 (beta2 probably). For this you need the 1.6 version, obviously...

Pointer explained you this:
pointer
Extract the contents of the archive (7z or zip file) into your main K-Meleon installation folder. Make sure your zip/7z extracter doesn't extract into a newly created subfolder.

And I told you that this:

Many of the folders are preexisting and overwriting them would wipe-out functionality.
simply is your wrong assumption, sorry. It's perfectly normal for KM-extensions that some folders exist already and others not.

So just follow the few simple step-by-step instructions that I quoted again here. If you keep saying that you don't WANT to follow them, because it involves adding files to pre-existing folders, then it's your own decision and has nothing to do with instructions...

And if you don't want that folder overwrite warning, you could still extract the single files one-by-one and place them into the corresponding folders manually. But that's a bit more difficult:
Place "spelltest.dll" into folder "k-meleon/kplugins" and
"spellcheck.kmm" into folder "k-meleon/macros"

Those two are needed for the function.
The locales are optional, only needed for foreign languages.
The source folder is only included for licensing reasons.
"spellchecker.ini" is a simple text file and contains only uninstalling information: which files were included with that extension and in which folders you find them to delete.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 06:52PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.