General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Cache not caching.
Posted by: caktus
Date: April 28, 2011 06:54PM

I think I have managed to goofed up my mem cache, disk cache or both and I hope someone can help me fix it with out having to create a new profile.

The path to the cache is
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cache

I have tried removing what appears to be an extra cache folder but that did not help. I have also tried removing the other cache folder instead but that too did not help. I am sure that the cache (either the mem or disk cache, I don't know which) is not working because the latest entry is 3/24/2011 when it should be 4/28/2011.

The size of the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache folder is 6.94MB.

The size of the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cache folder is also 6.94MB.

The mem allotted to both the mem and disk caches in Preferences is 128MB.

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cache not caching.
Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 29, 2011 01:21PM

caktus
I think I have managed to goofed up my mem cache, disk cache or both and I hope someone can help me fix it with out having to create a new profile.

The path to the cache is
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cache

I have tried removing what appears to be an extra cache folder but that did not help. I have also tried removing the other cache folder instead but that too did not help. I am sure that the cache (either the mem or disk cache, I don't know which) is not working because the latest entry is 3/24/2011 when it should be 4/28/2011.

The size of the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache folder is 6.94MB.

The size of the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cache folder is also 6.94MB.

The mem allotted to both the mem and disk caches in Preferences is 128MB.

Thank you.

Charlie,

Looks like your profile info is in the registry, meaning a multiple user install???

* You might want to consider backing up your profile, creating a profile.ini file in K-Meleon folder and editing prefs.js manually, to put the cache inside K-meleon, not in My documents. For example, this is what I have. I manually edited the profile info to use a setting that I use on multiple computers. I don't use the random number folder name, rather the older SLT settings:

c:\Program Files\profiles\everyman.slt

Where everyman.slt replaced the numbered default created by K-Meleon during install, as shown in PROFILES.IN.

[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=everyman.slt
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

I then put the cache there.... later moved it to a ramdrive (drive R: ), shown here from pref.js.

user_pref("browser.cache.check_doc_frequency", 1);
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.capacity", 8192);
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "R:\\TEMP");
user_pref("browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl", true);
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 8192);

* after changing profiles.ini and creating a profile.ini, you can copy your prefs and bookmark files back. You can also create a new password file by going to one site and entering your userid and password, then copy and paste old password info from your old random number password file. All a kludge, of course.

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 01:23PM by ndebord.

Date: April 29, 2011 04:26PM

Thank you ndebord for responding.

I too have RamDisk (R) that I use for IE. At one time I also had KM's cache in RamDisk (R) TEMP but I moved it to o3j9gbh7/cache(?) as I figured that is was redundant. I now think perhaps I should have just deleted it from RamDisk (R) as I now realize that KM's original cache folder stayed in o3j9gbh7, perhaps that is where I goofed it up. Using Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cache > Browse I put the cache folder back to R/TEMP and the cache is now working again.smiling smiley

I have Profile Backup with Auto Backup selected but I don't know how it works or how to use it.

The Profile.ini used an entry similar yours but was empty for some reason. I entered the same entry as yours:
[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=everyman.slt
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

I am not sure if I need the "Path=everyman.slt" line as I am the only user and I only use one instance of KM (1.5.4) but I am guessing it doesn't matter.:s

Charlie

Posted by: siria
Date: April 29, 2011 10:57PM

Uhm, that path name should be the same as your current profile (sub)folder, it certainly matters ;-)

Date: April 30, 2011 12:45AM

caktus
Thank you ndebord for responding.

I too have RamDisk (R) that I use for IE. At one time I also had KM's cache in RamDisk (R) TEMP but I moved it to o3j9gbh7/cache(?) as I figured that is was redundant. I now think perhaps I should have just deleted it from RamDisk (R) as I now realize that KM's original cache folder stayed in o3j9gbh7, perhaps that is where I goofed it up. Using Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cache > Browse I put the cache folder back to R/TEMP and the cache is now working again.smiling smiley

I have Profile Backup with Auto Backup selected but I don't know how it works or how to use it.

The Profile.ini used an entry similar yours but was empty for some reason. I entered the same entry as yours:
[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=everyman.slt
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

I am not sure if I need the "Path=everyman.slt" line as I am the only user and I only use one instance of KM (1.5.4) but I am guessing it doesn't matter.:s

Charlie & Siria,

My bad for not completely explaining myself. After changing the profile info as above, you must also CHANGE the sub-folder name to the same exact name. The idea here is to get away from having any of your info in a windows sub-folder and to keep it instead in your program folder structure. The idea behind using a name instead of random numbers is to be able to use the same browser on different computers and know that all the info is saved in the same place. Helps when trying to synchronize info.

:-(

N

Date: May 01, 2011 12:46AM

Charlie,

I hope my scattered posts did actually help you with your cache?

N

Date: May 02, 2011 08:19PM

Thanks, Guy's. I deleted the R: Temp\Cache folder and the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cachefolder
and in Preferences set the Cache folder back to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache.

After restarting KM the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner~~~Cache\Cache folder was recreated and KM is back to caching files and running fast as ever.

saria, do you mean
I should change Path=everyman.slt
to
Path=o3j9gbh7.default\Cache
?

Thank you.

Charlie

Date: May 03, 2011 01:30AM

caktus
Thanks, Guy's. I deleted the R: Temp\Cache folder and the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cachefolder
and in Preferences set the Cache folder back to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\Profiles\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache.

After restarting KM the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner~~~Cache\Cache folder was recreated and KM is back to caching files and running fast as ever.

saria, do you mean
I should change Path=everyman.slt
to
Path=o3j9gbh7.default\Cache
?

Thank you.

Charlie,

I am confused by your settings. I think you should change your profiles settings back to the random number instead of everyman.slt now... It appears (to me) that your settings are in windows sub-folders, not in K-Meleon folders.

But I want a second or third opinion here????

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 03, 2011 11:34AM

I just let KM handle everything when I set up. My profiles.ini file is:
[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=65ebj79c.default
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
I don't think you need "\cache" on the path statement. Mine does not have it. Note, I do not have multiple KMs using the same profile. Each KM has its own profile on my system.

Date: May 03, 2011 08:01PM

Charlie,

One more thought for you. If you go to Add/Remove Programs, does K-Meleon show up in the list?

N

Re: individual profile folder name config
Posted by: siria
Date: May 03, 2011 08:30PM

Oh well, everyone has his own preferences and tricks and that's the great thing about KM.
And some people like to customize the names of their profile folders. That's fine and certainly helpful if they know what they're doing exactly, but frankly, uhm, if that's not the case anymore... To me it just seems getting a bit too complicated now, if you're already confusing yourself by all the different manual 'tricks' ;-) And perhaps confusing the browser itself too, who knows, I can remember a bunch of 'weird' bugs in the past?
And often people get weird probs, if their profileS.ini is somehow messed up, as it happened to me too once when I had created a "new" profile, but at next startup used another one, so that this new profile folder was never really created, yet the ini file thought it were there, or some such. Can't remember details at the moment, but have seen a few people with exactly that same prob in the forum, with some inexplicable (en?) fault in that profile settings block, causing them some strange problems, which vanished after fixing that ini.

It depends from one's needs obviously. Personally I don't bother with manual edits in that ini and let it handle KM automatically. That means when creating a new profile, I make sure to also open it at next startup, so the new folder gets really created and this sensitive, slightly touchy ini file stays clean. Then if I want to use the 'same' profile elsewhere, I just copy over the folder contents, from one profile folder into the other. Have no prob with different bookmarks files, since I'm using external favorites anyway, and my other personal stuff doesn't get much changes anymore. Except for the adblock.css, which I update quite often, must admit there I was lazy with copying changes constantly to the other profiles and meanwhile have a mess with different adblock version, oh well :cool:

Date: May 04, 2011 07:53PM

ndebord
Charlie,

One more thought for you. If you go to Add/Remove Programs, does K-Meleon show up in the list?

No, I have KM and it's main directory installed on the Desktop. I guess it doesn't really matter much but it just seems more handy for me this way.

Charlie

Re: individual profile folder name config
Date: May 04, 2011 08:09PM

siria
Oh well,...:cool:

I now have the profile.ini set as:
[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\KM 1.5.4en-US\profilebackup\o3j9gbh7.default\Cache\Cache
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Perhaps a bit much but it seems to be working out alright. I forgot I had no rendering tweaks in the user.js on the current install. Added some tweeks I have in an old backup file and that made things all the better.

I'm going to make a new backup of KM for if, or rather WHEN I goof things up again.:cool:

Charlie

Date: May 04, 2011 08:32PM

Charlie,

On the desktop? (lightbulb) and that is why the settings show up in documents sub-folder. OK... got it... you should be OK now and the backup is a good idea.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.