Re: Firefox myths, KMeleon marketing.
Posted by: nexous
Date: November 10, 2006 03:22PM
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: An Anonymouse User
Date: November 10, 2006 05:14PM

Thanks for posting this Marcopolo.
I believe many of us have been wondering about this.
So what can be done about this lack of marketing?
Hopefully there can be much input here.
Then we will be able to look like this smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 10, 2006 05:19PM

The links has a nice layout but the message suffers from errors & missconceptions.

Example: the author seems to think that activeX support is part of web standart
because he slanders browsers that lack of support for that. Obviously activeX
is platform specific and not part of what a browser must be able to do well
= render web standart compliant pages.

Last not least he does not compare IE to k-meleon :-D

k-meleon has always had the optimum mixture of low RAM and CPU usage and high capabilies that made him my default browser some years ago. After using k-meleon for some time i have also learned to use and value his flexibility.

Each of the modern browsers ( FFox 1.5+, Opera9+, and IE 7, k-meleon ...) has merrits but k-meleon is my fast workhorse everyday browser.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 10, 2006 05:23PM

guenter

k-meleon has always had the optimum mixture of low RAM and CPU usage and high capabilies that made him my default browser some years ago. After using k-meleon for some time i have also learned to use and value his flexibility.

Each of the modern browsers ( FFox 1.5+, Opera9+, and IE 7, k-meleon ...) has merrits but k-meleon is my fast workhorse everyday browser.

That's the reason why we all are here, isn't it? ;-)

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 10, 2006 05:29PM

What's that link got to do with your questions?

Date: November 10, 2006 06:25PM

I understood as if we should canvas so also - but IMHO we should not.

Sufficiant to be good & better on some fields & try to do a good "customer" support in our multilingual forum (because there is not the ideal browser for everthing // yet! ;-) // k-m has quickly improved since Dorian is core dev, by him, kko, alain ... & our community )

So I merely stated why i am here; i would post the same in any other place if the topic is talked about ( with a little more detailed reasons:-) hola Enaitz i knew i can cut myself short here - because we all know ).

Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: November 10, 2006 08:29PM

That web page is dangerous. It encourages people to go back to IE, and while it does have a point in half of its points, the other half of his points are twisted or have subtle or obvious errors.

Posted by: Fred
Date: November 10, 2006 09:49PM

We must accept the fact, that while Internet Explorer 6
and its predecessors were impossible to use for an intelligent
person, because of its horribly low security level, IE 7
has become much safer. The impossibility to use javascript
without using Axtive X at the same time was the main danger.
It will now become more difficult to convince the masses
of average users to prefer an other browser. Many people think
anyhow, that the best thing for this world would be one
single Microsoft, offering only one product in every sector,
that then everybody would use, and that it would be so beautiful,
if everybody would use the same product. This is ridiculous,
nobody would like to have the same car as all others.
So the target for a browser like K-Meleon must not be to
conquer the market, but to offer a browser for individualists
who like its advantages, for example the fact, that it is easy
to customize by users with a little experience, or simply the
fact, that a user has something special to browse with, that
not everybody else uses. At the same time, it must be at least as
safe and as fast as its concurrents, which is the case at present.

Fred

Posted by: marcopolo
Date: November 11, 2006 12:07AM

I think that K-Meleon is one of the best browsers, but the community needs to spread the K-Meleon philosophy everywhere. Firefox is like a tale for the children, you begins to tell it to your sons and finally, after repeating the tale four hundred times, the children must remember you that the tale is not true. You finally believes what you want to believe, not the real thing it is. Who remember us that K-Meleon is a very good and valious piece of software? Ourselves, every day, every time. One example of I wanted to say is how I find K-Meleon on the net. I searched for a light browser, and I found it at http://www.download.com/. Do you want to know what version of K-Meleon they are offering actually? K-Meleon 0.9.2! When I discovered that the current version is the 1.2, I did not believed it. Why this delay to offer the most recent version of K-Meleon in these web pages?

In www.download.com I read that K-Meleon was downloaded 117103 times, 99 times last week, being added on january 2006. Twelve months! I supose there is a reason to maintain this delay, but however, what is happening here?
In http://www.click-now.net/ K-Meleon can not be find.
In http://www.filehippo.com/ K-Meleon can not be find.
In http://www.oldversion.com K-Meleon can not be find.
In http://shareware.search.com only K-Meleon 0.9.2 is offered...

KMeleon rules!

Posted by: Carson
Date: November 11, 2006 12:12AM

6.5 billion people, and you could count their OSs and their browsers on your fingers!

Somebody in Africa buys a laptop computer, and it has Windows on it, and Bill makes a profit. How totally weird. I wonder how many laptops the 6.5 billion of us purchased today?

But I have always loved K-Meleon for its lack of marketing.

I detest marketing of any kind. Choose the saddest or most horrific headlines you wish today, and see how far behind them you find money motives. We are the only species that uses the stuff, and it never was a necessity. I don't know if it is possible to extricate human thinking from that concept, though. It's the worst pitfall our species evolution has encountered, and it could turn out to be our last. I don't mean capitalism versus anything else: I'm just talking about the way we choose to trade things.

If you find this confusing, consider the five or six best things you have ever done in your life. If you were ever a hero—if there have been times when you feel very, very proud of what you did—ask yourself how much money was involved. Chances are, no money at all was involved in the finest moments of your life.

K-Meleon doesn't try to change anybody's mind. Unlike marketing, it exists with no agenda to modify somebody else's agenda. IF ONLY people worldwide could learn that art! In our world, to pull that off—to offer your very best, with no strings attached—is extremely rare, and is really noble. I think K-M is brilliant twice over: one, in what it is; and two, in how it presents itself.

Date: November 11, 2006 12:22AM

carson
But I have always loved K-Meleon for its lack of marketing.

Your life is full of marketing. Your clothes. Your shoes. Your smile. Your religion or your politic ideas. Everywhere you look is full of dreams made by the marketing.
I only want share my happyness... where is the mad problem?

carson
I don't know if it is possible to extricate human thinking from that concept, though. It's the worst pitfall our species evolution has encountered, and it could turn out to be our last.

O.K. Then you do not need to aid Africa, because the marketing have done that you believe they are not happy there. Firefox Foundation ears more money than all the people than maintain the Firefox Project, a GNU piece of philosophy.

Finally, Carson, are you making marketing to us or you are only spreading your ideas? smiling smiley

Date: November 11, 2006 12:58AM

carson
K-Meleon doesn't try to change anybody's mind.

It's a joke, isn't it?

Date: November 11, 2006 01:20AM

marcopolo, i agree to Your findings. Web is ignorant about k-meleon.

I found that most German PC Magazines still claim K-Meleon English browser and even offer English not German version for download. I mailed them - no success. So i started to post in their Forums (Foren) , i tried to give accurate answers to k-m questions, like we try to do here and said German & international browser: Native Language & Forum Support available in English, French, German, Spanish ( sorry about the alphabeth ).

Guess You are right - we have to go out and preach.
But what we IMHO should not preach on low level like the linked IE page does.

I have a message on my homepage. Sort of "best browser for applet viewing" & Hope that s visting ppl think k-meleon is better then my little applet page.

btw. Your observation that all relies on Advertising is right - & Carson wants to stress that this way is not always correct & that is IMHO right too.
I respect both of Your attitudes.

greetings from Hannover Germany to Spain & Canada and all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 01:41AM by guenter.

Date: November 11, 2006 01:48AM

Thank you Guenter for your valuable contributions and thoughts.
Greetings from Mallorca, Spain, to Germany and all.

Danken Sie Ihnen Guenter für Ihre wertvollen Beiträge und Gedanken.
Grüße von Mallorca, Spanien, nach Deutschland und allen.

Date: November 11, 2006 02:35AM

nexous,
"quote" is refereing to advertisement. Carson probably means that advertising sometimes twists the mind - & k-m can compete without that.

btw. Carson is very good at English
;-) aún más que otros monos des los islas :-)

I personaly try to clearly see & state that under certain circumstances & uses other browsers e. g. Opera; FFox can effect more. But ... normally k-m = most effective.
greetings to maropolo on isla de Mallorca, plus You @ your place in Spain. guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 03:09AM by guenter.

Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: November 11, 2006 07:01PM

I agree that K-Meleon isn't known well enough. When I first heard about the project a couple years ago, I got the impression that it didn't perform too well and was mostly unmaintained.

Then last August MozillaZine posted about K-Meleon 1.0, and that all changed. I don't use K-Meleon, but I agree that it's a very fast browser, and I'm willing to contribute. I've done that with building, and trying to make a VC6-built K-Meleon. I also mention K-Meleon when I see someone whining about the start-up speed of Firefox.

In case anybody is wondering, I use SeaMonkey. I prefer its philosophy.

Date: November 12, 2006 04:20PM

guenter
aún más que otros monos des los islas

Los monos están en Gibraltar xD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.