General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
[new user] some questions
Posted by: Lennart
Date: November 11, 2006 09:12AM

Hi all,

Because i was looking for a browser with few resources, i downloaded k-meleon. Until now, i used Ff 1.5 & 2.0. But on my laptop i've only 256mb installed (with XP pro). That's not much ...

Now i'm surfing with K-M and i like it. But there are 2 points i can't find the answer for:
1) If i'm opening a link with the thumb-button on my mouse (Logitech Cordless), a new layer opens. But also the focus is switching to this layer!!! I want that the new layer opens in background. I searched in prefs and adv prefs, but i can't find the right option ...

2) Is there any way to add a search module like in Ff? It's a clevery way to search things.

tnx, Lennart (NL)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [new user] some questions
Date: November 11, 2006 09:23AM

Ahh ... i found the solution for 2) ... jusdt rightclick etc

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 11, 2006 09:47AM

1.) Extended Preferences ( e.g. hit F2 to open the panel ) "Browsing" gives You
influence over the ways Layers & Windows open. Greetings to beautiful NL from DE

Date: November 11, 2006 10:26AM

tnx for your advise, but ... it seems that it doesn't work.
[tab general]
Open typed urls > in a new layer + sub: background is "on"

The other tabs & changes are not relevant, i think. But still, if i rightclick the focus is set on the new layer.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 11, 2006 12:28PM

This is a very common request, may we should consider making it an official fix.

You have to edit the file accel.cfg which is located in two places:

- at the K-Meleon\defaults\profile folder. This is the default config which is used to create the user config the first time you run K-Meleon. If you edit the file here you'll have to delete your current profile so the new one will be taken from here.

- at the folder where your current profile is, which depends on what you choose on the installation, could be at the K-Meleon\Profiles folder or at the documents and settings folder, you'll have to search for it.

Once located, you have to edit it, changing the place of some #s so now it should look like this:

# Middle-click links to new windows/layers:
#%ifplugin layers
#MButton = layers(OpenLink)
#%else
#MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_WINDOW
#%endif

# Middle-click links to the background (instead of the above):
%ifplugin layers
MButton = layers(OpenLinkBg)
%else
MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUND
%endif

And that's all. Just remember that if you have done it on the deaults\profile\accel.cfg you'll have to delete the current profile to make it work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 12:30PM by enaitzjga.

Date: November 11, 2006 12:50PM

Oh! You're my hero-of-the day! It works fine winking smiley

It should be indeed an official fix, because this has a lot to do how people gathering information: they search google and interesting links are opened, but not readed at that point - first, people gather information before they read closely the info.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 11, 2006 01:17PM

Thanks for your comments, less than two years ago I came here asking for the same question :-) Then somebody told me how to do it.

I use this feature mostly at eBay, it's real useful.

Did you know that IE7 has exactly the same by default ;-)

PS. To all forum users. I know this is not the best way to tell (but it's not that important to start a new thread), but I've finally manage to be able to edit the K-Meleon main page, so I've added an entry about the new forum on the news section, on the main and on the spanish main too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2006 01:20PM by enaitzjga.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.