General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Adding Individual Close Buttons
Posted by: Peabody
Date: November 20, 2006 10:34PM

Greetings,

I am new to K-Meleon. The past several days I have been seriously learning my way around the browser and overall I am quite pleased.

Do I understand correctly that because of the layered nature of K-Meleon, rather than a tabbed or true multiple document interface, that adding close buttons to each "tab" indicator is not possible? If I am misled, then how do I add individual close buttons?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding Individual Close Buttons
Date: November 20, 2006 10:48PM

In related issues:

1. Do I understand that, because of the layered nature of K-Meleon that drag-and-drop reordering of the tabs is not possible?

2. That K-Meleon is not able to remember the Find criteria when moving from one tab/layer to another?

Thank you.

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 21, 2006 09:30AM

Hi Peabody,

Those three things are probably related to the use of layers, but I don't think they're impossible to work around; for example, K-Meleon now retains the toolbar position between layers.

adding close buttons to each "tab" indicator is not possible

I believe it's just not done in that way; you can middle-click or double-click a layer button to close the layer.

drag-and-drop reordering of the tabs is not possible

Just FYI, there's a bugtracker entry for this request, but with little activity.

K-Meleon is not able to remember the Find criteria when moving from one tab/layer to another

Well actually this can be considered a feature, i.e. if you want to find different things in different layers, just like you can with different windows. What I don't know is whether this feature/bug was intentional.

Hope this helps.

Date: November 22, 2006 12:10AM

Thank you for your response.

I find drag-and-drop reordering of tabs quite useful. I tend to surf by reading a page and opening additional links in the background for subsequent reading. As I then browse each of those pages, often I find one page that I want to investigate further and I want to move that tab to the far left of the tab bar such that the page is out of the way but readily available for me when I finish perusing the other pages I opened in the background.

I might also have a page open to a discussion forum. After a while, after opening and closing numerous other web pages, I might find that the forum page is "in my way" and I'll move that tab to the far end of the tab bar. I don't want to close the page, just put aside for a while. Some people use multiple windows with multiple tabs in each window, but that is not my habit. Drag-and-drop is one of those features that once used proved quite useful to me. Overwhelmingly I use the web for research and not "mere surfing." Thus, drag-and-drop is a wonderful productivity enhancement tool for me.

Close buttons for each tab would be nice. As I migrate away from Firefox I find that is one of the features I miss. There are many ways to close a tab: Ctrl-F4, Ctrl-W, Layer Close button, double-click, middle click, etc. I do not use any one method solely. I use all of the methods except middle clicking. I even modified the page context menu to include a Close option because I once got accustomed to that option using Opera. I can survive not having individual close buttons, but I think having them is wonderfully user-friendly. End-users should always have the option of what to do.

Some people might argue that they prefer separate Find criteria for each page, but if so, then this is an example of where developers should allow both. End-users should always be the ones to decide. I use GNU/Linux often enough and Konqueror also does not remember the search criteria from one tab to the next. Because of my surfing habit of opening several pages in the background, with the intent to research each page, often I use the same search criteria in each page. Not having that option is frustrating for me.

With that all said, as a new user to K-M I will post my request in the Improvements section of this forum and hope that the developers agree.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.