General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Toolbars.cfg Mods
Posted by: Peabody
Date: November 20, 2006 11:40PM

Greetings,

I am new to K-Meleon. The past several days I have been seriously learning my way around the browser and overall I am quite pleased.

I already have performed several mods to the various text-based *.cfg files, but I am unable to resolve some remaining layout preferences.

Currently I have placed the Layer/Window Buttons toolbar to the far right of the Layers toolbar and on the same line/level. I would like to move the New Layer button to the far left of the Layers toolbar while keeping the Close button to the far right of the Layers toolbar. From a usability perspective, separating these buttons makes sense to me, especially because I have not discovered a way to add individual close buttons. However, I find no Layers toolbar section in the toolbars.cfg file.

I am aware of the double-click option to open and close Layer tabs, as well as Ctrl-T and Ctrl-W/F4. But old habits are mentally tough to break and I am long-accustomed to using Firefox in this manner with separate New and Close buttons at opposite ends of the Tab/Layer toolbar. Perhaps new habits are in order, but I first would like to investigate available remedies.

Similarly, I would like to move the Up Level button from the Go Buttons toolbar to the immediate left of the URL Toolbar, but I find no URL toolbar section in the toolbars.cfg file. This location mimics the Diggler extension for Firefox, as well as the Konqueror browser.

As a note, for whatever reason I am unable to use the bitmap or rebar plugins. Solutions involving those plugins will not work on my box.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toolbars.cfg Mods
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 21, 2006 07:41AM

You can split/edit up the layer bar into two small bars, start the browser, unlock the 2 little bars and drag them into place (have a backup of toolbars.cfg that U can copy into place if something goes wrong!).

AFAIK the2 bars look like this after editing them 2 sekonds.
No prgraming skill requiered - the cfg are text files.

Layer/Window Buttons1{

New{
%ifplugin macros
macros(New)|Open
New Page. Right-click for more options.
%else
%ifplugin layers
layers(Open)|New
New Layer. Right-click for more options.
%else
ID_NEW_BROWSER
New Window
%endif
%endif
layerwindowhot.bmp[2]
layerwindowcold.bmp[2]
}

}

Layer/Window Buttons2{

Close{
%ifplugin layers
layers(Close)|CloseButton
Close Layer. Right-click for more options.
%else
ID_FILE_CLOSE|Close
Close Window
%endif
layerwindowhot.bmp[3]
layerwindowcold.bmp[3]
}

}

The url toolbar - can be also moved around when unlooked. You can also move the up toolbar towards it either together with go or U also make a new little bar.

Up to You - hope i understood what You wanted - prety tired - just back from job.
call that a day now, off key.

Date: November 22, 2006 02:27AM

Yup, splitting the toolbar into two new toolbars did the trick. I thought I had already tried that, but if I did, I did something goofy that prevented things from working. This time all went smoothly in less than 30 seconds.

Thank you!

Regarding the Up button with respect to the URL bar, I solved that challenge after I posted my question. smiling smiley I merely moved the button to the Main toolbar and placed the button to the far right, which visually in my configuration, places the button to the immediate left of the URL bar.

Date: November 22, 2006 03:07AM

Oops! This solution does not work!

Well, actually the idea DOES work, but I thought I'd post a caveat for other future new users. After making this kind of change, AND you use user.js to lock certain preferences, then be sure to copy the new toolband preferences from prefs.js to user.js.

I use user.js to lock a lot of browser settings and the first time I restarted K-M the new toolbars did not place correctly because I had not updated my user.js with the same changes. smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 22, 2006 06:01AM

I place things into user.js that do never change - such as speed-tweaks :-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.