General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Making "Use my colors" work as well as in IE7
Posted by: Ascaris
Date: December 08, 2006 11:50PM

I have a certain disability which, among many other things, makes my eyes very sensitive to white background colors. As such, I have Windows (XP sp2) set to use a light grey background color. Seeing the default white color hurts my eyes and makes them tear up, so that I can't read what is on screen. My LCD display brightness will not go down far enough to allow me to read with a white background.

As such, I have K-M (1.02, En-US) set to override the colors set by the web page, and to always use my windows colors (hidden prefs set with about:config). I have IE7 set the same way (Internet Options/Accessibility/Ignore colors specified on web pages).

The problem is that with K-M, or any other Gecko based browser, I get many popup menus (DIVs usually) that have transparent backgrounds. They are difficult to read.

One example of this can be seen at http://www.acronis.com . If you mouseover any of the links like "Products" at the top of the screen, you get a popup menu that blends in with what is behind it, leaving it unreadable. Try the same thing in IE7 set to use my colors, and you get an opaque popup menu that is very legible and easy to read.

I tried adding a line to the usercontent.css file to set the bgcolor of DIVs to -moz-field, but that causes problems with sites that layer div over div, with the intention that the divs be transparent. I end up getting a lot of pages where the content is totally hidden.

Is there any way to get K-M to set the BGCOLOR of a div to my color if it is not transparent, and if it is transparent, to do nothing? This is what IE seems to do.

I realize this invisible-div thing a limitation that is in the original Gecko engine, but K-M has options (macros, etc) that are not part of that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.