Argument *for* tabs
Posted by: xVariable
Date: October 27, 2001 10:43PM

A request for implementing a tabbed MDI style to K-Meleon has been posted already, that's why I'm not posting this note there. I'd like to make a few rational arguements here in favor of the idea. *Hopefully* this will raise the discussion to a higher level than emotional, knee-jerk responses based on personal preferences, which are in turn typically based mostly on things like habit, convention, etc.

1) A self-contained, tabbed interface makes good sense from a managing of windows on the desktop standpoint. The screen ends-up looking much cleaner and is nicer to navigate, both in terms of within individual apps and switching between apps.

2) This nesting of "resources" is being adapted at the desktop level too. Look at Linux desktop managers. They group windows of the same apps in the taskbar under a single icon. Lo and behold, Windows XP has also adopted the idea. I dislike XP for all the obvious reasons, but hey.....

Anyway, at the very least I think this should be considered as a plugin.

Re: Argument *for* tabs
Posted by: Brian
Date: October 28, 2001 10:10PM

are you willing to program it? no? me neither.

Posted by: Matthew
Date: October 29, 2001 06:22AM

Excuse the inexperience, but what's so hard about that, given what you've done so far? Or, am I underestimating Gecko/Mozilla's role in the program?

Posted by: Brian
Date: October 29, 2001 03:45PM

You are underestimating my hatred for tabs.

Posted by: Keyser
Date: October 30, 2001 11:20PM

Hehe too bad.... i wished this could be the windows equivelant of galeon. Which has what mozilla.org lacks... visions at gui level.

Anyways i like your work brian =)

Date: October 31, 2001 12:07AM

I was thinking more the Mozilla equiv of Opera, my primary browser.

Posted by: Matthew
Date: October 31, 2001 02:08AM

I can understand the like for tabs, but strictly speaking Opera has a task-bar style interface, rather than tabs, which (imho) is a tas better. I can also understand not wanting tabs, though an optional alternative k-meleon window manager would be an interesting prospect. What _type_, I don't know. It's fine as it is, though.

Posted by: TabsRule
Date: November 02, 2001 10:30AM

Tabs are pretty cool. I really like using galeon when im using linux because it has the best tab support imho.

mozilla havent made their tab support as easy to access i feel.

Date: November 03, 2001 02:51AM

Tabs, task-bar-style, we're really getting into semantics aren't we? Btw, Opera defines their interface as "tabbed" (or at least that's how most people I know refer to the interface.)

That's what I was getting at: an interface similar to Opera's.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.