General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Sorry: Off Subject Question About S.M.A.R.T.?
Posted by: DaleS
Date: December 22, 2006 06:36PM

Quite awhile back when I first started using K-Meleon, I had many questions and all were answered superbly here. So well, in fact, I have been using K-Meleon ever since with no problems at all.

So please forgive me for asking a question here that does not involve K-Meleon. You guys are so with-it in computers that I was hoping to get advice here that I have not found anywhere else yet.

I have 3 WD hard drives; 2 are 40gb and the 3rd 20gb. All 3 are S.M.A.R.T. capable which is disabled and I have no clue what all it does.

Is it advisable to enable it or best to leave disabled?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sorry: Off Subject Question About S.M.A.R.T.?
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 22, 2006 06:58PM

Best with S.M.A.R.T enabled.
S.M.A.R.T detected fisics problems on HD with time needed for make backup.
For more info search S.M.A.R.T in Google as G.W. Bush tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 22, 2006 07:06PM

Good evening.

I have also 2 WD hard disk (20 and 40 Gb).

SMART is an acronym which means Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology. It's a technology which allows hard disk performance monitoring and prevents data loss and errors by monitoring and finding the problem before the damage is done.

IMHO there's no reason not to enable it (I'm not sure about if it will slow down your PC performance due to CPU or RAM ussage, but I bet not, even on older systems).

You can find more info here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=251&p_created=1022015458&p_sid=-kNrINpi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNtYXJ0&p_li=&p_topview=1

Posted by: DaleS
Date: December 22, 2006 07:09PM

Thanks! That's enough to convince me to enable it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.