General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Review: Internet Explorer 7 beta
Posted by: encoderX
Date: August 29, 2005 11:56AM

K-meleon is my main browser and has been for a very long time.

I also like putting KM to the test against other browsers - happily for KM it always comes out best in my preference.

I have been using the beta of IE7 for awhile now.

In all honesty it's an absolute disappointment - surprise, surprise!

Microsoft really is going to loose the browser share faster than previous as soon as IE7 is released that I am confident on smiling smiley lol

It is iust plain old M$IE but with a poor looking attempt at tabs! When in fullscreen mode you can't make favorites slide in it has to be pinned out or you have to come out of fullscreen and click the favorites icon or pin to end it. You can double click a tab to close it either.

You can't move the back and forward BIG icons stuck at the top of the screen, the address bar is next to it - that can't be moved. The tool bar and drop down menus can be moved but not to the top so it shortens the address bar - which is fixed.

I know it's a beta but this is really a poor attempt and in all honesty if your a fan of IE you are so much better with a IE browser front, ie: deepnet, greenbrowser, maxthon ...etc.

To say M$ have been saying how good it's gonna be and all this, that and the other:
don't be fooled - they have all this money, all this supposed techies ...etc and they still can't come anywhere near to compare to the look, functionality, speed and userbility of KM smiling smiley

In reality KM beats them all hands down and no contest. Well done KM.

Kind regards
--
encoderX
encoderX

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Review: Internet Explorer 7 beta
Posted by: jsnj
Date: August 29, 2005 04:09PM

I'm surprised IE7 beta has fixed toolbar/button positions now ala Mozilla suite and the old Netscape series. KM's toolbar/menu positioning flexibility was based on IE4 & 5 which at the time gave you the most options in that regard. That's one of the main reasons I tried & liked KM back in the 0.6 days since it gave you those options. Strange move on MS's part.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: January 27, 2007 02:54AM

IE7's updated engine is definitely an improvement (transparent PNGs ftw!), but the interface is absolutely craptastic. You can't rearrange any toolbars, you can't choose colors, size, or anything else for the tabs, the only customizing you can do is selecting which buttons appear on the main toolbar. The best thing to do is to update to v7 for the engine, but use any frontend (greenbrowser seems to be the best IMO).

...Actually, the best thing is to simply not use IE at all, but unfortunately that's not really an option. So.... The next best choice is to use a gecko browser like KM 99% of the time, and use the ie7 engine/3rd party frontend combo when you need IE for some reason.

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 27, 2007 03:43AM

:p IMHO C AL's ninja's interface and compre with IE 7, & Yes, I agree ' green B and other shells such as Maxton r better. IE7 Trident engines got better but I sure like 5.01 's speed which compares well to Opera & k-meleon.

sorry 4 m-eye mean comments.

Posted by: noel-pg2
Date: January 28, 2007 03:29AM

actually, Drahken, you CAN rearrange only a few toolbars, mainly the Menu Bar and Links bar in IE7. open IE7 and enable the Menu Bar and Links bar and uncheck the Lock the Toolbars option. then drag either bar up or down. too bad the URL Bar and Command Bar can't be dragged to another location.

btw, guenter - IE7 is much more secure than IE 5.01. IE 5.x & IE 6.x have so many security flaws that they require a lot of patching before they can be almost as secure as IE7. ditch the beta release of IE7 and get the final release.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.