General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
how to turn off flash entirely?
Posted by: Ed L.
Date: August 19, 2005 02:55AM

Hi, I'm running Win ME with a slow AMD K6-2 processor, and flash ads on K-Meleon can really freeze the whole system. Though for some reason Opera 8 lacks this problem.

I'm sure I didn't install Flash Player for K-meleon, but the plugin is still detected if I go to 'about:plugins'. I can't delete the flash plugin file 'NPSWF32.dll' from the plugins directory because for some reason only the default plugin 'npnul32.dll' is there. This is wierd because I also have java, adobe acrobat, and windows media player as plugins in about:plugins. I turned on "Show hidden files in Explorer" but that didn't show anything else.

I don't want code (like stuff in usercontent.css) that will disable flash ads, i'd like to get of flash altogether. Can anyone help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to turn off flash entirely?
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: August 19, 2005 03:48AM

Default flash block should work in your case. It will block flash to be loaded.

Hao

Posted by: kko
Date: August 19, 2005 11:07AM

That's because Opera usually comes with the flash plugin. K-Meleon (or any other Gecko browser) will find the plugin and will embed it. To prevent that, add the following to your user.js (in your profile directory):

// Controls the scanning of the Navigator 4.x directory for plugins
// When pref is missing, the default is to pickup popular plugins such as
// Flash, Shockwave, Acrobat, and Quicktime. If set to true, ALL plugins
// will be picked up and if set to false the scan will not happen at all
pref("plugin.scan.4xPluginFolder", false);

That works fine for me. You can also try this:

// Locate plugins by the directories specified in the Windows registry for PLIDs
// Which is currently HKLM\Software\MozillaPlugins\xxxPLIDxxx\Path
pref("plugin.scan.plid.all",false);

Posted by: Carson
Date: August 20, 2005 12:48AM

I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me Fred's K-Meleons come with an extra step required to set up Flash. As a result, his K-Ms won't automatically grab Flash when it is not wanted.

I have no Flash whatever on my four-XP system on this machine. Originally I found Flash extremely hard to get rid of--more difficult than some trojans. However, there is a Macromedia uninstaller available that does the job very well. (You may have to use it a number of times, alternating with registry cleans via RegSeeker or another.)

This uninstaller is put out by Macromedia itself, so I guess the company does not really intend its intrusiveness. ("What, doesn't everybody love us??")

To avoid stretching this page sideways, I'll break the following URL into 2 parts. To use it, you have to take out the space between them, following Uninstallers/:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/ Macromedia-Flash-Player-Uninstaller.shtml

Posted by: Drahken
Date: August 20, 2005 02:01PM

On the about:plugins page, look underneath the name of the plugin, you'll see something like "filename c:/some-folder/some-other-folder/NPSWF32.dll". That tells you where the plugin is located on your system. Now you can go and remove it if you want (keep in mind though that if it's not in a KM-specific directory, then removing it will also remove it for all other non-IE browsers on your system, and may also remove it for IE if you have an older version of IE (5.5 ad earlier if I recall correctly) since they used to use (or at least accept) the netscape style plugins).

Date: August 20, 2005 06:30PM

Well I followed the instructions in
KMeleonWiki > Documentation > TipsAndTricks > Flash Block

or the link

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=FlashBlock&PHPSESSID=
c2aa62294b7d59e22a8020c898cec27c

and it works well enough.

I didn't want K-meleon to stop probing for ALL plugins as kko suggested, because I thought Acrobat or Windows Media Player would be disabled, and those plugins aren't as intrusive.

Thank you for replying Drahken, although as I said, the flash plugin isn't in my plugin directory. In about:plugins it doesn't tell me the exact path for the plugin so if it is anywhere else, I wouldn't be able to find it.

Thanks anyway Carson, because I was unsure if your program would uninstall flash for all browsers. I need flash occasionally (you know for all those artisty music sites).

Date: August 20, 2005 06:34PM

Oh I forgot...

I'm using the 'default' flash block, so I see a banner with the words (click here to show flash) in place of the old flash ads.

Will the flash block still take up the same amount of resources as before? I'm thinking the flash will just load in the background anyway and will show instantly if I click the banner "show flash".

Date: August 20, 2005 08:36PM

I believe it doesn't load the flash unless/until you click the link.

On my about:plugins page, it shows the file name and location of the plugins, like this: http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/about-plugins.png

If you make KM stop scanning for plugins, you can have more control over the plugins. If you want adobe or whatever, just navigate to adobe's plugins folder (should be something like C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\browser\ ), then copy the np(whatever).dll file from there and paste the copy into your KM plugins folder. Do the same thing for real player, windows media, whatever else.

Another way to block flash (or anything else that you want) is to use a PAC file. Create a text file, name it flashblock.pac or anything else you like (just make sure it ends in .pac), insert this as the only text in the file:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {

if (
shExpMatch(url, "*swf") ||

) {
return "PROXY 127.0.0.1";
}
else {
return "DIRECT";
}
}

Then save it. Now go edit->prefs->proxy and check the box next to automatic configuration, then put in the full path to where you saved the pac file (ie file://C:\K-Meleon\no-ads.pac ).
What this does is tell the browser that all files which end in ".swf" are located at proxy 127.0.0.1. However, there is no server there, which means that the .swf (aka flash) file isn't loaded. You can block many different things with the same PAC file, just add more of the
shExpMatch(url, "*swf") ||
lines, and change .swf to whatever else you want to block (use * as a wildcard).
Here's my current pac file if you want to see how one is setup (I had to add the .txt extension for uploading purposes): http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/no-ads.pac.txt

Posted by: Carson
Date: August 21, 2005 12:21AM

By now, I've read quite a few of these nifty-keeners tips by you, Drahken. :-) I like them because they tend to come out of thin air--meaning, a person simply would NOT know them unless he DID know them!

I think you should consider putting together something like

Drahken's Dragons

in which you collected together as many as possible of these. They are very very useful, and just going through the collection for fun would be instructional.

----------------------------
By the way, a favourite of mine for searching (as above) without need of the MS search utility is Agent Ransack. Freeware, very fast, very good. At
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download

Posted by: Fred
Date: August 22, 2005 10:09PM

To turn off Flash .swf files completely, add to userContent.css the lines :

embed[type="application/x-shockwave-flash"][src*=".swf"]{
display: none !important;
}

Close the browser and save as "all files".

Fred

Date: August 31, 2005 07:28PM

Note: That will not actually turn off flash files, it will merely hide them (they will still load, and may still run).

I think I found why you couldn't see the plugin paths, there's a pref called plugin.expose_full_path on the about:config page. I'll bet yours is set to false.

Re: how to turn ON flash entirely?
Posted by: Jia Qi
Date: January 06, 2007 12:21AM

After i installed somthing my flash player seems like it was turned off, How Can i make it on again?

Re: plzz help me
Posted by: John
Date: May 21, 2007 03:37PM

when i was opening some sites like friendster i click the pictures of my friends and the picture was not showing ..........plz help what is the problem my computer? or not...

Re: plzz help me
Posted by: John
Date: May 21, 2007 03:41PM

i can't download the flash player 9 because the active x warning is not appearing below the address bar ............please can anyone help me

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 21, 2007 05:07PM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.