General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
New Project
Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 04, 2006 01:23AM

I have now successfully registered the "k-meleon" (not "kmeleon") project on sourceforge and I am trying to figure out what needs to be done now.
Should I send support an e-mail and tell them I want to take over this project ("kmeleon") or are we going to start fresh over there?

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Project
Date: January 04, 2006 01:43AM

I decided I'd do both. I requested an APT (Abandoned Project Takeover), but like it said in the other thread... It will take 2 to 3 weeks to fully process.
I think we can wait 2 to 3 weeks, right? I mean we've already been waiting for quite some time (over a year, if i'm not mistaken), so why not just a little more?

Brian

Posted by: Culpeper
Date: January 04, 2006 02:17AM

Good job!

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 04, 2006 02:37AM

smart move.

Posted by: gray49
Date: January 04, 2006 03:01AM

My continued support...
Peace,
Stuart

Date: January 04, 2006 03:01AM

You can probably also join the existing devs crew
- but by this U probably make k-m more sure.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 04, 2006 06:34AM

Why doing that ? The official devs are still posting in the mailing list. What is needed is just a new admin. They have no reason to refuse it, since they don't plan to work on kmeleon again.

Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: January 04, 2006 02:10PM

Dorian:

We are trying to contact them to ask them to post (not to develop just to post one of the existing ones) an simply GRE updated K-Meleon to replace the old official one, but it's impossible to contact them.

This is the reason for looking for the new k-meleon page and not keeping this..

If you know how to obtain administrator rights please do it, we need someone active and "contactable" and also we need a new updated version right now (we can use one of the Fred's latest or take the official and simply install the latest Brian's patch over it).

IMHO the actual situation is worse than horrible, we need an official simple update (call it 0.9.1 or whatever you want) now to carry on, we could discuss later what to include on the next version (0.9.5 or whatever).

Posted by: Midas
Date: January 04, 2006 05:15PM

Well done, Brian, you have my full support as long as the new project is accountable before the community.

I think Enaitz Jar described the present predicament quite well. We shouldn't expose K-Meleon to sudden demise just because we can't seem to be able to find our way out of the proverbial paper bag.

The Gods... I mean, the devs, can keep doing their thing however and wherever they see fit; its the KM support base that desperatly needs some coherent and reasonably updated /locus/ to gather, chit chat and be filled in on the latest hype, not to mention getting the current wares.

Peace

Posted by: Christophe
Date: January 04, 2006 06:12PM

What the... I just received this. Why not send me an email asking me to add you to the list of admins to the existing project instead of creating a new one? (ps: chris@aegis-corp.org)

-Christophe

-----

Greetings,

Notice sent on: 2006-01-04 11:52

As follows is a time-sensitive (14 day expiry) notice from SF.net Staff
to all administrators of the kmeleon project.

As per SourceForge.net policies, this message is being sent to notify you
that a request has been received to take over the kmeleon
project, for which you are presently listed as an administrator.

See the links provided on your My SF.net page for further details
on the nature of this takeover request.

SourceForge.net Staff have reviewed the current usage of this project
space and have determined that the project has not yet made any substantial
file releases or produced any other materials that we consider vital to
retain.

If you intend to continue development in this project space, it is vital
that you login to the SourceForge.net site and go to the My SF.net page
for additional details on how to opt-out.

If you (or another member of your project team) do not opt-out of this
takeover in the next 14 days, control of the kmeleon
project will be transferred to the submitter of the request.

The My SF.net page may be accessed at: https://sourceforge.net/my/

Thank you,

SourceForge.net Staff
staff@sourceforge.net

Date: January 04, 2006 07:00PM

I'm sorry if we have taken you by surprise but this projects looks like a horse with no rider. If you and the other developers would have been in the foruims more frequently we should have asked directky fot administrators rights but trhe problem is that is difficult to contact you.

I gently ask for if you could choose anyone of the most active users of this forums (preferibly someone who make releases as Fred, Dorian, Hao, Guenter, Brian or whoever you consider) and give him the rights to substitute the old official K-Meleon for a new GRE updated one.

I'm sorry that things may have gone too far but this project is too good to die, and this is what it looks now to be doing.

Date: January 04, 2006 08:16PM

Yes, Christophe. We are not necessarily looking to take power away from you, but just to have someone in there that is actively developing K-Meleon. I don't think that I need to be an administrator as I do hardly anything other than comment on the forums. I think we just need to add the developers that would like to be added.
The reason I did this was not to go behind your back, but rather to try to help push everything along. I will cancel the APT (abandoned project takeover) request if you'd like. Is this what you would like?

Brian

Date: January 04, 2006 08:49PM

Never mind. I didn't need to ask if you'd like me to cancel it as you have already done the work for me. :-).
Anyway, like I said in the last post, we just need to have someone in there, in my opinion, that will push things along a bit. We are losing credibility from not putting out a new release for such a long period of time.

Brian

Posted by: rob
Date: January 04, 2006 08:51PM

Brian.
Dont even think of canceling APT until you get administration rights.
And then we will see. Enough sweet talks, were yaking for years, and they dont give a flying @!#$. Lets do hostile takeover and be done with that.
They have two weeks to produce a release, Id like to see how they do that.
Of course Chris wrote km in one day, so everything possible.
Brian, after youre in, you can assign somebody from here, and then quit.
But not before.

Date: January 04, 2006 09:27PM

Wow.

I see that there are some angry people. I can understand it but we must not forget that these people were the creators of the beast and the same people who have kept it alive for years, it has not passed two months since they saved all the data in this web from being lost and being agressive with them is not the best way to pay the efforts done to save a browser on which they don't believe and which they don't use.

We can not ask them to do what they don't want to do, if they want to leave we will miss them (and thank them for the previous work) but that's all.

IMHO they only have the responsability to designate new administrators and give them the rights and the info or files needed to continue the work.

And this is what we are asking here.

Date: January 04, 2006 10:21PM

I don't know if you were referring to me, Enaitz, but whether you were or not, I didn't mean for what I said to be taken as me being angry.
I am very grateful for the wonderful work they have done with K-Meleon. I just think it's time for someone else to step up, considering that none of them want anything to do with developing it any longer. It would help the community to grow more quickly if there was someone that was actually interested in developing K-Meleon and keeping it going in charge, rather than people who are not interested (afaik) in such activities.

Brian

Date: January 04, 2006 10:50PM

At all.

I was refering to Rob's last post, who was IMHO a bit too agressive.

I may have misunderstood him.

Date: January 04, 2006 11:02PM

@ All - i think all understand the reason of Brian - nobody here is ungratefull -
or angry with old devs - we know that lack of time or technical problems can lead
to problems. Brian wants the problems solved.
greetings guenter

@Christophe (---.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net) part of the problem might
come from a question that i have asked before.

When has anyone reached Andrew´s page and Andrew?
I can not from here = DE. He is the listed Admin.

IMHO Just add a few more volunteers - if there are any that feel they can ship in time on a regular basis.

- ppl here feel unsecure because of circumstances that lead to forum downage.
greetings guenter

p. s.
everling from .MY afaik asked wheher he can do forum maintenance.

Bartolomej from .PL also mentioned willingness to work for forum technology/maintenance in dev list.

I am not sure whether these ppl were answered or kept up their offer
when emerency was over?

I would volunteer but lack knowledge and possibly time to help.

Date: January 05, 2006 12:01AM

I can be an all around helper. I can't write code or do anything on the website that everling or Bartolomej aren't able to do. I can help out with administration as I seem to have a lot of time on my hands these days. I can do those tedious, repetitive tasks that nobody else seems to want to do (i.e. keeping the Unofficial Builds page in the wiki up to date). Just stick me where you want me, basically. What I'm saying is that I have plenty of time to help, but not a ton of skills like some others.
I am pretty sure we are not going to switch to the other project that I set up, but just in case... I will not delete it until I see some action taken.

Posted by: Fred
Date: January 05, 2006 12:10AM

I am glad that Christophe has taken part in the renovation process.
He is still an administrator, and has already saved the forum from
disappearing some weeks ago.
He could certainly help to put new versions on the download page.
It is not necessary to split the Kmeleon work in progress.
May be Dorian would be the right person to assist him.
His K-MeleonSM beta will soon be ready to become K-Meleon 1.0.,
and I will very soon be offering a renamed version K-Meleon0.9.12RC3
to contnue the 1.7.x Gecko series as a version 0.9.12.
Hao is working on his tab version, which also will be ready.
I am sure, that with Christophes help the renewal can take place now.
Fred

Date: January 05, 2006 12:14AM

So Brian, isn't it time to send an e-mail to Cristophe? :-)

Posted by: Christophe
Date: January 05, 2006 12:23AM

Just email me the sourceforge IDs of the person(s) that want to manage the already existing project on sourceforge and I will do it.

-Christophe

Posted by: Fred
Date: January 05, 2006 01:00AM

@Christophe
I have sent an email to Dorian, asking him to
do the administrator job, and gave him your
email address.
I hope, that he will answer soon, although
it may take a while, because in France it is
half past 2 in the night now, and he might
be sleeping.
Thank you very much for your help in this
necessary updating of the browser.

Regards
Fred

Date: January 05, 2006 01:39AM

Brian.
Email Chris your sourceforge ID this second, and get the key.
There will be plenty of time to chit chat later.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 05, 2006 01:50AM

Just an aside on how K-Meleon and Sourceforge have gotten to this impasse.

Because Ulf and Andrew walked away without turning over keys to any successor, SourceForge, while performing an update to MySQL turned off the lights here because nobody responded to their request to update the server dbase.

Christophe, an original developer, was pulled back into the project simply because there was nobody else to turn to. Andrew and Ulf were either not available, or not answering emails and definitely not paying attention at all to what was going on at Sourceforge with K-Meleon.

As Ulf and Andrew continue to not be available, the frustration level has escalated. K-Meleon needs to have a bugfix release available on the main download page here. Can't be done without administrator rights. So Brian did the logical thing. Without any responses from the Andrew or Ulf, he went to look for a new SourceForge and K-meleon collaboration.

The shame, to my mind, is that Christophe had to be yanked back into this whole thing when he is not the one responsibile for the breakdown in communications and actual project management.

Now that he is reinvolved, I for one, would say to him that we appreciate greatly his efforts to keep K-Meleon going long after his days as a developer are over. And would like him to understand that the K-Meleon project has evolved in new ways preciselye because of the lack of successors to Ulf. K-Meleon as a project has evolved into a very active group of interested users and some coders. Direct Democracty, as Guenter says, and it is a messy process. So one hand may not know what the other is doing, but the process, messy as it may be, does have one virtue. The problems on the table get aired out in the public eye and after discussion, the problems always find some kind of solution.

If Dorian will take the job as administrator and get the keys to the K-Meleon Sourceforge "shop," then we will be in far better shape than before. Other keys should be given out too and I suggest that debate can follow once we get this issue of a bare minimum succession from Ulf and Andrew resolved with the great help of Christophe.

Only then can Fred, Hao and Dorian and everyone else who cares talk about finalizing a K-Meleon 0.9.5 from the release candidates that have been posted here and on unoffical K-Meleon websites.

IMO, we are very close to a 0.9.5. Let us have an open period to discuss it and get silly and serious about all those little things everyone wants in and others want out and then put it up. Knowing, that soon, thanks to the work of Dorian and Hao too, that we will also have a new version K-Meleon 1.0, to add to the download page here at Sourceforge.

N

Date: January 05, 2006 03:02AM

@rob
I don't feel it is my place to be an administrator. I don't really help K-Meleon in that sort of way. I mostly just help in small ways (writing tutorials, helping on forums, etc.). If I were to become an admin, it would only be to help Dorian with any sort of troubles he might have. I suppose I will e-mail him, but if Cristophe feels that it is not my place, that will be fine as well.

Brian

Re: New Project/& New Admin - or co_admins
Date: January 05, 2006 03:03AM

thx for long explanation (ndebord);

New Admin - or co_admins
Apart from smeone that speaks English and has time and initative = Brian.
And Dorian as c coder of next k-meleon version.

IMHO possibly Fred & alain also should apply & get rights
because of their recent works on renovating the 0.9.
Hao - ra several others that possibly also code -

Possibly all the ppl that created national issues
should also inform Christophe of their existance.
(maybe ask for rights?)

That is kko, clickfish, Sebastian & rumpel. from DE
2 ppl from .PL (afaik main language & 1 dialect); one from CZ.
Hao also makes Chinese & EN_test versions
apart from one person that made ES browser and posted here ; - )
also ppl from RU (but i can not read their letters/Cyrillic names)

I am not sure how much time any single one can spend? But...
Please: all that have time and knowledge should concider it.

I say this becuase in some countries it might no be polite to nominate oneself -
and also tell me if i have forgotten to mention one that is active and has time ...
and possibly sufficiant knowledge.
Yours guenter

p. s. since Andrew & Ulf names were mentioned:

with the Spam amount i get into one of my accounts i am not sure whether we want to mention any one by name singly for overlooking or not answering e-mail.

& as said here before - there were and there are problems to reach some ppl.

For practical purposes this results like going away but
- maybe let us put is as "missing" or/& "no time now".

Date: January 05, 2006 03:10AM

Looks like we were posting at the same time, eh?

Yes. I heard something about a russian version of K-Meleon somewhere... maybe we could get them to let us post their version on here once we are sure it is bug-free. Maybe we could even get them to help us with translations of future versions.

There are so many people that I believe that should be administrators. If I listed all of the names, you would think the list to be ridiculously long... so I will not list them all. Instead, I will say that I think that you should personally e-mail Christophe (chris@aegis-corp.org) and ask if you believe you are up for the task of being an administrator.

Brian

Date: January 05, 2006 03:26AM

we have posted at the same time.

As Brian said:

& Christophe needs sf account details.
Which all must send themselves.

& if Your local mores require encouragement
i hope i have said the needed things/words.

Russian: http://kmeleon.ru/download.html

link is also in Wiki:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=ResourceLinks

possibly there are more languages.

Date: January 05, 2006 03:41AM

Brian.
Get the fricking key now!
Chris will be hit by the truck tomorrow or will be deported, and we will be in limbo again.
Dont read those posts, its all distraction.
I know you have issue, so be a man . Do it now.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.