General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
You Destroyed My Netscape Bookmarks
Posted by: Pi$$ed OFF
Date: October 29, 2001 10:54AM

You are supposed to copy and add to kmeleon bookmarks.

I installed kmeleon and then when tried kmeleon for the 1st time and saw how bad and slow it was I closed it to run Netscape....

Only to find most of my bookmark toolbar destroyed... only folders remain and inside the folders 1000's (LITERALLY) of bookmark sites have been deleted.

I did a crtl-b to check if it had moved stuff around, but it had not just moved stuff BUT DELETED 1000's of BOOKMARKS.

YES THOUSANDS!!!!

You aren't supposed to @!#$ WTTH FILES... YOU SUCK!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You Destroyed My Netscape Bookmarks
Posted by: Brian
Date: October 29, 2001 03:44PM

Yes, we suck, get over it.

Re: You Destroyed My Netscape Bookmarks
Posted by: john w
Date: October 30, 2001 09:35PM

it's a beta version buddy.

I have but three words....
Posted by: JudicatorX
Date: October 31, 2001 12:50AM

"Keep regular backups"

and what do you expect? It is a beta, after all.

-JudicatorX

Re: I have but three words....
Posted by: Pi$$ed OFF
Date: November 09, 2001 09:18PM

What a f$%cking copout Brian... Not enough testing, Beta software... BULLSHIT!! [Re-Your comments in Bugs Reply]

I am a very rational, patient and intelligent person and while I may swear a lot hear I believe I have just cause.

You can't say deletion of bookmarks and just leaving empty folders in the bookmark files an error.

An error would be if they weren't copied into kmeleon correctly.

I believe you DELIBERATELY set out to DESTROY BOOKMARKS so that once people started using kmeleon they would have less chance of effectively returning to their previous browsers due to missing important bookmarks.

You only needed to copy the bookmark files and then play with them in your own directory OR simply open the file in READ ONLY.

You did not copy the file... You OPENED in READ+WRITE MODE... You copied over the URLs from the bookmark files THEN DELETED them in the original files...

I believe BLATENTLY... Only mistake you made was not also deleting the folders to make it look like you thought you were using a copied file... But if you had a bug and thought it a copied file you would've also deleted it after the importation of bookmarks.

Lets pretend for a moment that this was a bug.

Lack of testing is BULLSHIT in that one of your KEY CONS for getting people to try Kmeleon is your saying "HEY We can import your bookmarks for use with Kmeleon"... Being a key feature it would have been tested... Please don't pretend otherwise.

Beta software is supposed to be buggy... But it's only supposed when a browser like this to be buggy and make mistakes in writing or reading in it's own directory or to files it owns... And of course to memory and allow Windows to crash.

That's buggy beta browser software.

But a simple import of bookmarks... THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN TESTED Thoroughly... LESS COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT... IS BEYOND EXCUSE!!!

There were no warnings to users that you may completely f$%ckup their browsers... ELSE do you really think we would have even THOUGHT to try your software.

I believe this act deliberate...

If a Crappy SLACKASS piece of code writing then to have BEEN KNOWN ABOUT... Cept you didn't wish to inform us NOR fix it.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES... ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU DID

PUT A NOTICE ON THE FRONT PAGE OF YOUR WEBSITE ABOUT BOOKMARK & OTHER FILE DESTRUCTION ON INSTALLATION.

AND ALSO PUT THIS DISTRUCTION NOTICE ON A WARNING PAGE BEFORE THE INSTALL OF THE KMELEON PROGRAM.

Less you prove what you did DELIBERATE!!!!!

Re: I have but three words....
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 09, 2001 10:47PM

It's not our job to backup your data. Crap happens all the time with computers for all kinds of reasons. That;s why you should have a backup of your data, it's as simple as that. Yes, it sucks that your bookmark file was destroyed. We apologize for that.

But this conspiracy crap that we deliberately set out to destroy the bookmarks is just that: A bunch of crap. We don't have to prove anything to anyone. You are the one making the claims, so you provide the proof. Otherwise, go back to using whatever browser you used before and let the satisfied users of this product continue to work with us to make it a better browser.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.