General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Differences between tabs and layers?
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: July 24, 2007 10:59AM

Good morning.

I'm not sure to really understand the difference between layers and tabs. Can somebody please deliver a shine of light over this dark and obscure subject?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Differences between tabs and layers?
Posted by: kko
Date: July 24, 2007 12:41PM

Well, as far as I understand it, a Tabbed Document Interface (TDI, Tabs) is usually seen as a variation of a Multiple Document Interface (MDI).

K-Meleon up to version 1.1 has a Single Document Interface (SDI). With the Layered Windows Plugin, several windows can be grouped together and are then layered above each other (except the layers bar and the displayed document, the window properties are all equal). In this sense, Layers are a simulation of a TDI for a SDI.

See also here.

Posted by: D555
Date: July 25, 2007 02:51AM

enaitzjga
When you use a lot of opened sites in layers ... - it take more system resources, instead of tabs.

Posted by: manutdfan
Date: July 25, 2007 07:50AM

so if i plan on using a lot of opened sites in tabs (firefox) or layers (k-meleon), which one will use less resources?

in general i always have a bunch of tabs/layers open instead of multiple windows.

Posted by: D555
Date: July 27, 2007 07:57AM

It looks something like that.. from much to less resources (about 40 tabs):
firefox(because of heavy xul interface), k-meleon(layers), k-meleon(tabs) - perhaps in future.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2007 09:02AM by D555.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.