General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
how to disable plug-ins?
Posted by: dert
Date: September 01, 2011 03:55PM

How to disable MS Office 2010 and other plug-ins?And is there any possibility to use
location bar with multiple search engine like Firefox?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to disable plug-ins?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 01, 2011 10:49PM

There is a multi search function under TOOLS - WEB SEARCH.

Date: September 03, 2011 07:41AM

Ok, but how to disable useless MS and Yahoo plug-ins?Does K Meleon have this setttings?

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 03, 2011 09:22AM

dert
but how to disable useless MS and Yahoo plug-ins?
Does K Meleon have this setttings?

No K-Meleon does not. It is old fashioned and expects that users do not install rubbish.

Go: Edit -> Configuration -> Browser Configuration
Type: Path
Shows You: plugin.expose_full_path
Toggle that value to: true
Go: Help -> About Plugins & open about:plugins page
Look where the plugins are on Your HDD and rename or delete them.

To copy them to another folder works also. That last option would be my choise.
Browsers can not detect a plugin on a non default place. And the registry cannot tell them what it does not know.

& if You need a specific plugin in a Mozilla/Browser You can copy the plugin to its plugins folder. That way a plugin works work selectively only for the browser that has them in its plugins folder & not for other browsers.

p.s. This is the generic tip for all browsers: Opera, Firefox, Safari... except IE newer than Version 5.5 SP2 when Microsoft abandoned Mozilla Plugins model in favor of ActiveX technology.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 02:45PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 03, 2011 11:58AM

guenter
No K-Meleon does not. It is old fashioned and expects that users do not install rubbish.

LOL! That was evil grinning smiley
Anyway, I remembered something I had learned about plugin toggling last winter, incidentally found by yourself grinning smiley yeah I know from myself, often learning something new and awhile later it's gone poof again... only after second or third reminder can remember it more reliably. This time I remembered at least where that info could be found again: In "Learning new stuff" thread, and bingo, there it was, ha!

Okay, not sure about MS Office in particular, but certain single plugins (or plugin families) can be toggled in about:config page (=Edit>Configuration>Browser Configuration)
In the filter line type "scan"
A couple plugins will appear, e.g. "plugin.scan.Acrobat". Each with a number. That is the minimum version number. If you want to disable one of those plugins, Mozilla recommands to set that number higher than your current plugin version. Right-click to modify the number.

There's also a setting to disable MOST plugins except those in K-Meleons own plugins folder:
plugin.scan.plid.all
Mozilla: "This prevents scanning the directories specified in the Windows registry for PLIDs"

Here's the expert information:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin_scanning

----------

The above refers to EXTERNAL plugins, located somewhere in your operating system.

For toggling the plugins in K-Meleons own plugin folder, you can just open that folder and remove or rename those that you don't want.

-----------

That plugin stuff is really quite shattered in KM. Would take quite some work to pull it all together :-/

There's Help>About Plugins, but people have to figure out first how to show the full path, and before that have to get the idea that such a toggle may exist. And frankly I'd rather search for plugins among the other stuff in Edit>Configuration (same for mouse configs BTW).

Then there's the above "scan" prefs, which can only be found in about:config, and only if a user knows about it beforehand.

Then there's the special k-plugin toggles in the prefs, F2>KM plugins.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2011 12:29PM by siria.

Date: September 04, 2011 10:25AM

Ok, thanks to both of you.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.