General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Warning: unresponsive script
Posted by: Peabody
Date: January 25, 2007 04:05AM

Occasionally I receive this warning dialog box:

Warning: unresponsive script

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will continue.

Two buttons: Stop script and Continue

I almost always surf with JavaScript disabled. In this most recent case this was true. Therefore, what causes this message?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warning: unresponsive script
Posted by: Terry
Date: January 25, 2007 06:05AM

A site may be using a Java script or macro which is not the same thing as Javascript. If you have a version of java installed on your computer, the website may have a small java applet it wants to run, and your java would kick in. However, if you don't have java installed, you would get this message or if you have unchecked the java choice under Preferences-General your browser would not respond.

Date: January 25, 2007 09:59PM

Hmm. I don't understand. I have neither Java nor JavaScript enabled when I receive this message. Therefore I do not see why this message appears---the browser should ignore all such requests. FWIW, I never receive this message with Firefox or Opera.

Posted by: kko
Date: January 25, 2007 10:04PM

I don't understand either. How could there be script warnings when scripting is disabled? Can you give us a link, Peabody?

Posted by: ra
Date: January 27, 2007 10:43PM

I know this warning from Firefox. Just upload a large file somewhere and it will bug you. I have to use IE for such things because FF often locks up afterwards. (No K-M allowed there.)

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 27, 2007 11:18PM

I sometimes upload large files (up to 10 Mb) using several different K-Meleon versions and I have never received any warning message like this.

Date: February 01, 2007 05:05AM

I hadn't responded to this thread because I had no URL to post. Today I ran into this message again and here is the URL of the site that prompted the dialog box:

http://comparisonofmediaplayers.quickseek.com/

I have no other information to provide that might help troubleshooting. Java is not installed on my box nor enabled in KM. JavaScript is disabled too.

Thanks.

Date: February 01, 2007 05:07AM

I also received the dialog box at this URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_media_players

Posted by: jk--
Date: February 01, 2007 01:21PM

My understanding is these are "internal" scripts related to browser functioning.. You will usually only see this when you have either a slow computer processor or have many simltaneous processes running (or both). I think the idea is that if a script becomes unresponsive this will allow you to stop it, so that way you don't need to end the process and restart the browser.

Try setting dom.max_script_run_time to a higher integer (kmeleon defaults to 10 I believe, and FF defaults to 7). I usually set mine at 15 (so a script will run for 15 seconds before prompting whether to stop it).

Posted by: jk-
Date: March 23, 2007 09:48AM

If you use the new K-Meleon you can specify different run times for normal scripts and chrome scripts.
dom.max_chrome_script_run_time
and
dom.max_script_run_time

----------------------
- K-Meleon Macros and Extensions
- Greasify (Greasemonkey type macro for K-Meleon)
- Stylish for K-Meleon

Posted by: rm
Date: September 01, 2007 10:27PM

Warning: Unresponsive Script.... How do I stop this? It is slowing my computer to a stop...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.