General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Page/Internet file caching.
Posted by: Charlie
Date: September 05, 2007 12:50AM

Does KM 1.1.2 cache Internet files at all? When I cleanup TIF files it seems the only such files are related to IE 6.

Actually what brings me to this topic is that due to being limited to 200 hrs dialup access per month I often load several or more news pages and then disconnect until I'm done reading them, then reconnect to load more reading material. This greatly reduces the time I spend online. I realize there are other inexpensive dialup ISP's that do not limit access time, but I am very happy with my current provider and do not want to switch.

Using IE the pages remain cached until the windows are closed. However, with KM often pages rather in new windows or layers, do not seem to remain cached except for the top window or layer.

With KM, is there a way to keep pages cached while disconnected until the windows or layers are actually closed, other than saving them as some type of documents? If I can get this accomplished I beleive I will finally have KM the way I want (or at least need) it to be.

Thanks.

Charlie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Page/Internet file caching.
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 05, 2007 01:21AM

I am not sure about cache, but there may be another solution to your needs. Under the file menu there is a "Save page as" option. That works for me. I have folders full of saved pages. Some I keep for a few hours and others I have kept for months.

You can save just the HTML or you can save the HTML and the files that go with it.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: September 05, 2007 02:24AM

The cache is in the K-M directory, nested within your profile folder. Files are all anonymous mystery-meat with no extensions, but in an emergency cache-dipping with various programs that will read anything can help recover lost items that you wish you had saved.

The "Save page as..." is in the right-click menu too, very handy. I save hundreds of pages for later reference. It does a nice job of saving whole (with all the images, etc.) or just the plain html.

Posted by: Charlie
Date: September 05, 2007 05:05AM

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to stick with "Save Page As." Not really that big of a convenience thing, I guess.

Charlie

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 05, 2007 08:44PM

So, you mean you want to see the cached files and then open, right?

Well, as Arual said the cache in Gecko based browsers doesn't do that. It is created a database of files cached and then the files chached are saved in random files.

But I tried now what you are telling and believe me, I can navigate going offline in K-Meleon.

An example: I was this afternoon (about 3 hours ago GMT+1) on Youtube and except the videos in flash, that aren't cached, I can navigate the website or the part of the website I already visited. Only one note: I have a 150 MB cache and that helps to store a lot of pages and I'm planning to make it bigger.

Note: I meant in the above paragraph that if I type the url www.youtube.com I can open it setting offline K-meleon (File menú > Work Offline)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2007 08:46PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.