General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon v1.7a2 Question
Posted by: duffy98
Date: September 04, 2011 01:41PM

Just found out about this newer Alpa version yesterday. I am using it on Windows 98SE with KernelEx as I also am able to use KM v1.6 Beta 2 with KernelEx. Back to KM v1.7 ... so far everything seems to be working OK but I have a question about installing extensions with the KM Extension Manager. For example, when I try to install Flash Video Saver I get this pop up box with the following information: Could Not Initialize XPCOM. Perhaps the GRE is not installed or could not be found.

... what exactly does that mean and is there a way to fix it? What does GRE stand for?

Also, I don't see very many questions here about this newer version of KM ... is there another forum just for this particular version. I wasn't aware of this version until yesterday when someone mentioned it at the MSFN Windows 98 forum.

Thanks ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon v1.7a2 Question
Posted by: FAQ
Date: September 04, 2011 02:15PM

duffy98
What does GRE stand for?

GRE = Gecko Rendering Engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko_(layout_engine)

duffy98
Also, I don't see very many questions here about this newer version of KM ... is there another forum just for this particular version. I wasn't aware of this version until yesterday when someone mentioned it at the MSFN Windows 98 forum.

Announcements forum: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,113496
Sticky thread in Development forum: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,113613

For your other questions please use the search feature.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 04, 2011 02:33PM

Duffy, I don't have that error. But sounds suspiciously like it may not have a KernelEx-setting yet... :cool:

Date: September 04, 2011 02:55PM

Hi siria ... yes I have the k-meleon (exe) set to Windows XP SP2 but that brings up an interesting question. In this 1.7 version there is a "k-meleon exe" and also a "k-meleon original exe" ... this was not in the KM 1.6 version, just a "k-meleon exe" by itself. Wasn't sure what to do so I went ahead and set them both to Windows XP SP2. I take it you must be using this newer version also. How do you like it compared to KM 1.6 with Windows 98SE?

thanks FAQ for the information ...

... OK, just read that the "k-meleon original exe" was mistakenly left in the 1.7 version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 03:09PM by duffy98.

Date: September 04, 2011 04:02PM

No I'm not really using it, just played a bit with it when it was posted. That was half a year ago, don't really remember much ;-) Had took a few little notes, specifically it had some bug with javascript macros, which could be worked-around when throwing out "gzip" in that pref:
network.http.accept-encoding gzip,deflate
But suppose that was in the other thread too.

Well, perhaps your xpcom prob has something to do with those neverending vcredist probs? Hmm... just remembered, I just finally find the time and update Kex to the latest version, it's been awhile *blush*

Posted by: snuz2
Date: September 06, 2011 08:39AM

Yeah, I had the same problem, it has to do with the directory the KM thinks it's launched under. IN my case I can launch it from the .exe itself, but it fails from a shortcut. I'm not sure I used the same version as you have, but there was some problems with javascript based macros, maybe siria's solution will fix that. It had some other bugs, especially the random mouse select, i went back to Fred's 1.6 build bcuz it was too much trouble.

I believe jujuland posted a solution to the shortcut problem, but i could never get it to work. I don't think it has any more kernelex problems than the other versions though...

Date: September 10, 2011 05:09PM

Thanks snuz2 for the information. I played around with it for 2 days but gave up on it. Still use KM 1.5.4 and KM 1.6 Beta 2. They really still work OK for me most of the time ... use 1.6 Beta 2 more though, that may be the last version to work half decent with Windows 98SE and KernelEx. I've not had much luck with Fred's 1.6 versions but I haven't tried any versions lately.

siria ... I also just put the new KernelEx version on my computers in the last month or so. It's nice that you can just install it over the old version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 05:13PM by duffy98.

Date: September 10, 2011 07:00PM

KernelEx: Some day I'll get around to update ;-)
But will certainly not install it "over". Did once the mistake to first uninstall, then directly afterwards install an update, without a system restart in between - bad idea :cool:

Don't quite know what that shortcut prob is about with KM1.7a. Yep I dimly remember there was some discussion... hum... hum.... it starts dawning... there was one of the link properties fields empty, right? But personally I'm always just unzipping and creating my shortcuts myself, and that has worked quite normally so far. Perhaps it's only a prob on newer systems, or perhaps only if the links are setup-created, no idea.

Date: September 10, 2011 07:37PM

siria ... I have installed the new version of KernelEx over the old version on 3 computers and have had no problems. I only did this because the author of the program said it was OK to do so ... from the KernelEx thread by Xeno86:

Additional information:

Compatiblitity tab has been added to ease configuration – no more editing configuration files manually. Also the installer is now more familiar and supports installing new version on top of previous installation.

KernelEx won't be loaded if system is booted into safe mode so the user can safely diagnose and fix potential problems.

.... I didn't post everything in the list. I will also add that this "installing the new version over the old" is maybe only for the last version of KernelEx. I don't remember seeing that statement before on "older" versions so this might only apply to to the very last (latest) version of KernelEx (4.5.1) but I can't say for sure. It seemed to work OK for me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 09:38AM by duffy98.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: September 18, 2011 05:10AM

For W98 and KernelX users, I recommend downloading Fred's KM-16-S2014. Based on Seamonkey, everything works except URL bar history ( kernel X bug i think). Faster and more stable than 1.6b2 on my system.

The newer releases by Fred are faster because of more recent Geckos, but not everything works, lots of macros fail and some add-ons. Not totally stable either. But they are usable and faster, the incomplatibilities seem to come from the KM 1.7 that was used to build them, but who knows... I stick with the release above, definite improvement from 1.6b2 and no funny business.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.