General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Opera Portable OneUse 9.23
Posted by: incrediblehulk
Date: September 03, 2007 11:21PM

Fastest and more secure in privacy than K-meleon.

Opera Portable OneUse 9.23 leaves no navigation traces.

http://www.kejut.com/operaportable

Highly recommended!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opera Portable OneUse 9.23
Posted by: incrediblehulk
Date: September 03, 2007 11:41PM

It works in a single file of 4.58 Mb and it requires no installation.
100% portable and safe!

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: September 04, 2007 12:36PM

The website states that this version of opera writes information to the computer (I suppose at least the cache information), then overwrites and deletes the data when the browser is closed. If the browser crashes during use, it seems very likely then that the files would be left behind on the computer. This would seem to defy today's widely held view of what a piece of "portable" software truly should be.

Neither Pocket K-Meleon or Portable Firefox (in their as-provided forms) write any information to the computer's drive.

Posted by: lisboa
Date: September 06, 2007 01:31AM

gvgerman
The website states that this version of opera writes information to the computer (I suppose at least the cache information), then overwrites and deletes the data when the browser is closed. If the browser crashes during use, it seems very likely then that the files would be left behind on the computer. This would seem to defy today's widely held view of what a piece of "portable" software truly should be.

Neither Pocket K-Meleon or Portable Firefox (in their as-provided forms) write any information to the computer's drive.

Disk cache is able to be set to zero in any recent browser.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 06, 2007 05:57PM

AFAIK only the portable K-Meleon by alain ( and some not so recent portable K-Meleons by Douglas and a 0.9 version for Bart's PE by Gerhard Broeske) does not write at all onto hdd.

lisboa
Disk cache is able to be set to zero in any recent browser.

True - but there seems to be more than just cache info winking smiley

[url=http://www.kejut.com/operaportable
kejut.com/operaportable[/url]] Doesn't make your USB drive tired - all code and data are stored in a temporary place on host computer

gvgerman
Neither ... or Portable Firefox (in their as-provided forms) write any information to the computer's drive.

I sure agree with You that Firefox writes less than Opera, and it has some other merrits besides but: Portable Firefox creates at least an empty profiles folder in %apdata% folder ( FirefoxPortable.exe, the launcher, by John T. Haller takes care of that and other spoardic write actions ).

FirefoxPortable/Other/FirefoxPortableSource/readme.txt

The WaitForFirefox entry allows you to set the launcher to remain active until Firefox has closed. This is useful if you wish to have another process wait until Firefox Portable has closed. The launcher will automatically wait for Firefox to close in cases where it needs to clean up after firefox.exe (for instance, to clean up %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox when there is no locally-installed Firefox)

p. s. You would only notice that portable Firefox insists to create this %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox folder when You have not installed a Firefox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 06:02PM by guenter.

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: September 06, 2007 08:24PM

guenter,

Thanks for the info and clarification.

From experience I can state that Alain's Pocket K-Meleon 1.1.2 works very well, indeed.

Cheers,

Date: September 06, 2007 11:26PM

gvgerman
From experience I can state that Alain's Pocket K-Meleon 1.1.2 works very well, indeed.

Thx for commentsmiling smiley I use it infrequently and found mentioned differences merely by chance.

Maybe You know better and can answer to this post.
AFAIremeber stanadard settings are still the same?

I would install below an new application folder name, since the portables are self contained. But I am not sure sad smiley

p. s. yes "CHEERS" - it is nice to have not only what we are used to have but the BEST smiling smiley

Posted by: kolt
Date: September 07, 2007 05:54PM

"Opera, which was formerly adware, is now free. (It comes with no help file or support. Support is $29 per year.) Opera has a good reputation as a solidly built program, but it is also known for being inflexible in the way it renders HTML, causing poor display on many websites. Also note, Opera is spyware. When starting up, Opera attempts to contact xml.opera.com (213.236.208.95), for no apparent reason and without notification. To use Opera without being tracked, the 213.236.208.x range must be blocked."

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/foxtips.php3#warn2

Date: September 09, 2007 12:31PM

@kolt, Thx for info and nice link.

p.s. I would not name Opera spyware. They probably only try to find out the number of regular users.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.