General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon and Rikaichan Japanese dictionary plugin
Posted by: Scythe
Date: October 14, 2007 09:30AM

Hello there,

I've been using K-Meleon for quite some time now and love it so far. The only reason why I still have Firefox installed is the "rikaichan" plugin, located at http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/ With it and the optional Japanese/German dictionary, it displays the readings and meanings for Japanese expressions in small popups while hovering the mouse over Japanese text, which is extremely useful.

So the installer comes as an xpi-file and I cannot install it in K-Meleon. I unzipped the file and it leaves me with two folders, "Chrome" and "Defaults", as well as a "chrome.manifest.dll" and a "install.rdf" file. Is it possible to copy these files to my k-meleon location and to somehow tell K-Meleon to use that plugin?

In the meantime I'll read some of the threads here concerning xpi-packages, and somehow I have a slightly bad feeling about rikaichan working with k-meleon ^^

Best regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon and Rikaichan Japanese dictionary plugin
Date: October 14, 2007 10:10AM

Ah, sorry, I should have done some research before posting. From what I've learned so far, it would be quite difficult to adapt the xpis to K-Meleon. I've extracted the rikaichan.jar file and had a look at the install locations of the corresponding files in Firefox. I highly doubt that just copying the files to the locations of K-Meleon and working on the chrome-files will make the extension work...well, at least not without spending a considerably amount of time (especially since I am somewhat like a n00b in things like this). Adding to that, I am probably the only person in the world trying to get a K-meleon/rikaichan/Japanese-German configuration to work, so my altruistic view of the world ends right here and I simply spend the time I would have spent on trying to get this to work on learning those damn Kanji, so that I don't have to use the plugin at all, whether in FF or K-Meleon.

Thanks, have a nice Sunday and

best regards,

cythe.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: October 14, 2007 06:30PM

You're not the only one winking smiley
I did look at it before, and it's currently not possible to adapt it for kmeleon. But my need for it is low since I have babylon translator.

Date: October 14, 2007 08:47PM

Well, a better solution than babylon translator may be www.popjisyo.com

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.