General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
about:config -> proxy setting
Posted by: trinitus
Date: October 22, 2007 01:26AM

hi! I have a question.
when I manually change in about:config -> network.proxy.type to 1, the proxy is only activated for a single time, if k-meleon isn't able to connect to the proxy because a needed application (lets say privoxy) isn't started yet, it displays an error message and the setting changes back to 0 automatically which shouldnt be the case and also isn't if one change the proxysettings in the preferences dialog. Another thing I noticed that a change in the preferences dialog affects the network.proxy.type setting instantly while the opposite case doesn't seem to get recognized by the proxy-preference dialog either. Shouldn't the dialog get the actual settings from there when it launches? What do I need to do so that changes I make, either by hand or by (own created!) macro/plugin messages get recognized + handled permanent correctly?

I already checked the custom proxys macro, but I couldn't spot any difference, it's only changing the proxy urls + ports + the type, isn't it? so when the proxy settings are set already a type-change as mentioned above should suffice?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: about:config -> proxy setting
Posted by: Terry
Date: October 22, 2007 02:38PM

It might be helpful to know which of the K-Meleon versions you are using. The 1.12 version sets proxies from Edit-Preferences-Proxy along with Tools-Proxy. The 1.5a version does not have the proxy interface under Edit-Preferences-Proxy and has to be set manually as you have done through about:config.
You are correct that basically network.proxy.type should be set to one and should remain so. The only reason that I can think of that it would be toggled to 0 is if you are using two different versions of K-Meleon and letting them run out of the same profile directory. To keep them separate you need to put profile.ini in the directory of one of the two to run it locally so that there won't be inadvertant changes. If this is not the case for you, write back. Someone a lot more clever than me will help you.

Posted by: kko
Date: October 22, 2007 04:07PM

In km 1.1.x and prior versions, preferences that can be changed in the Preferences dialog, are cached internally. Such preferences can only be changed through the Preferences dialog or through kplugins (e.g. macros), they cannot be changed through XUL (about:config and Advanced Preferences are XUL applications).

In km 1.5 (currently in alpha stage), this internal caching was removed (which broke the Preferences dialog and which is the reason why it was replaced by the former Advanced Preferences dialog). In regard to preferences, XUL and kplugins then have the same privileges.

Posted by: trinitus
Date: October 22, 2007 07:49PM

"preferences [..] are cached internally. Such preferences can only be changed through the Preferences dialog or through kplugins (e.g. macros)"

thanks kko, so that means basically, if I change/set new preferences by a macro or by a msg from a plugin they will be handled correctly and permanent? That would be all I need.

@Terry: 1.02 version here still, thanks for your help too!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.