General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Real Time Streaming Protocol
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 29, 2011 12:24PM

Is there some plugin which will allow KM to handle this protocol? I was sent an e-mail with a link to some videos, but neither KM 1.6.0 beta2 nor IE could handle them.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=WAXMtUCcp7o

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Real Time Streaming Protocol
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 29, 2011 02:46PM

Just remove the m. from the url:
http://youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=WAXMtUCcp7o

Or simplify it as:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WAXMtUCcp7o

If you mean that in that link you can't open "rtsp://" video link, yes, K-meleon can't open. And I don't know if there is some player out there that handles it, beyond a flash player prepared to handle it (not all can do).

EDIT: wasn't dumb my answer, LOL, you told in the subject tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 02:50PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 29, 2011 04:35PM

@ JohnHell

Thanks, the simple URL works just fine. I can play the videos using that link.

My daughter-in-law sent the original link to me from her IPhone. I guess that smartphones use a different system. I must be a Luddite. I don't even have a cellphone, dumb or smart.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: Fred
Date: October 29, 2011 05:23PM

Media files with rtsp:// in the address can be played
with the VLC player (videolan.org).
There is a mozilla plugin for Linux.
There is also a mozilla plugin for windows named
npvlc.dll , which I haven't tested. It could
be put into the K-Meleon plugins folder, but
possibly conflict with the Windows media player plugin.
You can also copy the rtsp address and put it
into the netstream input of the opened VLC player,
or write a macro for the right click menu to
open a link in the VLC player directly.

Fred

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 29, 2011 08:45PM

@JamesD

I called dumb to myself winking smiley I didn't pay attention to the subject and I didn't answer directly to your question smiling smiley

And, yep, smartphones use javascript and also come with flash, except Apple products. I don't know know if they come now with it, but they support HTML5 video tag, if I'm not wrong.

EDIT: ups, wait, it's rtsp instead rtmp... I really didn't give too much attention confused smiley

rtsp is the real player protocol or most commonly used with.

@Fred

Thanks, Fred. I didn't know VLC supported it confused smiley. It looks like it supports from 0.7.0. I'll have to test with my old version smiling smiley

EDIT: Looks that my version could be too much old for the current protocol version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 08:54PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 29, 2011 11:12PM

@ JohnHell & Fred

Thanks for your help. I used the short URL and now I may try to make a macro to open those links within VLC player. I have that player because WMP cannot play the .MOV files that my camera creates. I have put copies of your suggestions in a text file so I won't lose track of them in the forum.

Looks like my VLC is version 0.8.6f

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 11:14PM by JamesD.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.