General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Download WMV files
Posted by: ra
Date: September 04, 2006 09:55PM

Hi!

When I left click on links to WMV files this click automatically starts Windows Media Player and the videos start loading.

Is there a way to force K-M to not open WMV files directly in Windows Media Player but download=save them them instead (with prompt for location)? The ideal way of handling this file type for me would be to get the "open / save / cancel"-prompt that I get when I left-click many other file-types.

Is that possible? Any hints or tips? (I don't want to save the videos from Media Player after they were loaded and played of course. <g>)

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Download WMV files
Posted by: CaptnBlack
Date: September 04, 2006 10:24PM

Depends on if they're embedded or not.
You should be able to edit mime types for wmv so your asked what to do with them.
Go to Edit--> MIME Types, scroll through the list until you find something like this :

video/x-ms-wmv

click on it, then click the edit button on the right of Mime edit.

Tick "Save it to disk" and check " Always ask... " at the bottom.

If they're embedded you need to use this bookmarklet before you can download them:

javascriptsad smileyfunction(){ var res = document.evaluate( '//embed', document, null, XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null ); var embed; for( var i = 0; embed = res.snapshotItem( i++ ); ) { var dl = document.createElement( 'a' ); dl.href = embed.src; dl.appendChild( document.createTextNode( '[Embedded: ' + embed.src + ']' ) ); embed.parentNode.replaceChild( dl, embed ); } })();

Date: September 05, 2006 08:48AM

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately it doesn't work or at least not always. See e.g. this example page http://www.jhepple.com/support/sample_movies1.htm and scroll down to download link 14 and left click it with the settings you lined out => it opens directly in Windows Media Player here.

It's good to know there's a way to get embedded videos. I'll try that when downloading linked ones is working. :-)

Date: September 05, 2006 10:57AM

That's weird, it works for me on link 14.
I don't have the windows media plugin installed for any of my browsers though, so that might be the reason.
I don't have WMP installed either, I use Mplayer for all my media playing needs.

You might be able to disable the windows media plugin by renaming it.
I can't recall for sure, but I think it's npwm.dll , you can find it and rename it to something like npwm.bak.

To find the plugin type about:config in your address bar, then type, or paste this into the filter bar at the top of about:config "plugin.expose_full_path".
Change the value to true.

Now go to Help--> About Plugins, and it will show you the path to the plugin.

If you do disable the plugin, no windows media files will load at all, you'll always be asked to save to disk

Sorry the mimetype edit didn't work.
Someone that uses the plugin might know why it doesn't work.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: September 05, 2006 07:49PM

It's probable that that file (and others like it) have an incorrect mimetype setting, other windows media mimetypes are:
.asf video/x-ms-asf
.asx video/x-ms-asf
.wma audio/x-ms-wma
.wax audio/x-ms-wax
.wmv audio/x-ms-wmv
.wvx video/x-ms-wvx
.wm video/x-ms-wm
.wmx video/x-ms-wmx
.wmz application/x-ms-wmz
.wmd application/x-ms-wmd
Try adding all of those and see if it works. The server may also have it set as a more generic type like application/octet-stream, or even something completely flase such as labeling it as a quicktime file.

CaptnBlack- Disabling the plugin would have no effect, the plugin isn't doing anything in this case. The browser is downloading it and then passing it to the standalone player. Also, an easier way to disable a plugin for a single browser is to first make sure the dll isn't in the plugins folder, then go to about:config and look for: plugin.scan.WindowsMediaPlayer Then change it to an insanely high number (that will make KM ignore any version smaller than the number you set).

Date: September 05, 2006 08:26PM

Renaming the plugin (npdsplay.dll) would break embedded videos, wouldn't it?

My example page sent

Content-Type: video/x-ms-wmv

according to KM's/Gecko's cache information. That's exactly the mime type I set to save to disk and always ask (double checked it).

On about:plugins the column on the right is labeled "Enabled" and there's always "Yes" below. Is there a way to set it to "No"?

Posted by: kko
Date: September 05, 2006 08:35PM

See guenter's note: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=41955&t=41949

Maybe remove the registry entry for km?

Date: September 05, 2006 10:18PM

Actually disabling the plugin would disable auto play of embedded media, which is why I suggested it.
Also, if you have another Gecko browser, or even Opera installed the plugin will be loaded from them.

Date: September 06, 2006 02:45PM

CaptnBlack, you've missed the point of his question. They aren't embedded (if they were, they would open in the browser, not in media player).

Is there a way to force K-M to not open WMV files directly in Windows Media Player...

...it opens directly in Windows Media Player here.

It's acting like thw wmv mimetype has been added to KM's "neverask.alwaysopen" list instead of either "neverask.alwayssave" or "alwaysask".

Ra: 1) No, you can't change it to disabled. I think that column is merely there to let you know that the plugin is working. The only way to disable a plugin is to remove it.
2) Breaking embedded vids is the only thing that renaming the plugin does.
3) Go to about:config and look for "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", and make sure the wmv mimetype is not listed (if it is, remove it). Then look for "browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk" and make sure the wmv mimetype does appear there (if it doesn't, add it). (You can also do this by editing the "prefs.js" file in your profile folder.)

If none of this works, you may have to just right click such links and choose to save them, or use a download manager with a dropbasket that you can simply drag the links onto.

Date: September 06, 2006 03:22PM

On my system the situation is as follows:

- Windows Media Player Plug-in is enabled
- MIME type video/x-ms-wmv is set to be saved to disk (always ask)
- pref browser.helperApps.alwaysAsk.force is set to false
- prefs browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile and browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk are empty
- Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\K-Meleon.exe does not exist

When I left click on links to WMV files I am prompted for a location to save the file...

Date: September 06, 2006 09:40PM

kko,

I created a new profile for testing and all settings are exactly like described by you (they look like the default settings, as I didn't have to change anything). But the video (no 14 from http://www.jhepple.com/support/sample_movies1.htm ) still opens directly in Windows Media Player, without asking me before, after left-clicking on it. Could you please try it on your setup, too?

BTW: Which Windows Media Player version are you using on which Windows version? It's WMP 10 on WinXP SP2+, here.

Drahken,

tried the same with the settings you posted, but didn't have success, either. Are you prompted, if you left-click the example video? WMP10 on WinXP SP2?

Right-clicking and using "save link target as" is what I want to avoid in this case (and why I'm asking here), because the links are not added to the history that way. Additionally there are servers that try to avoid hot-linking and such things and if they are too eager using "save link target as" is broken there, too. ;-(

The interesting thing is that it works fine with Firefox. Could someone with more expert knowledge in this area please compare the mimetypes.cfg? Is it that, what makes the difference?

Date: September 07, 2006 06:05PM

ra, numbers 14, 15 and 16 open directly in WMP for me too. Normally, I'm asked to save such files. I assume that this particular server is not sending the correct MIME types for these files (or something similar). At least, the behavior seems to depend on the server...

Date: September 07, 2006 09:03PM

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. Maybe you're asked to save if the MIME type is not correct. Because in this case it looks like it is correct. Just click on View - Cache Information in the empty window that you get after clicking link 14... ;-(

Date: September 08, 2006 11:04AM

It's got to be something with the server's settings, and as such I don't know that there's anything that can be done on your end.

Date: September 10, 2006 10:03PM

With the server's settings? Sounds a bit scary... I mean, the user should be in control, not the server.

Yesterday I uninstalled Windows Media Player 10 and reverted to 9. But the problem's still there. :-(

Posted by: wafa
Date: April 05, 2007 11:15AM

download vedio/x-ms-wmw

Date: April 05, 2007 10:07PM

video

Thanks, with 1.1beta1 it works (anyway) so far... Let's see what the necessary Gecko update for 1.1 will bring.

Posted by: mohamed
Date: December 22, 2007 07:48PM

kko
ra, numbers 14, 15 and 16 open directly in WMP for me too. Normally, I'm asked to save such files. I assume that this particular server is not sending the correct MIME types for these files (or something similar). At least, the behavior seems to depend on the server...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.