Why you use K-Meleon?
Posted by: boogomatic
Date: December 08, 2003 05:22PM

Why you use K-Meleon?

The developers need a few questions answered, to help to establish why people use K-Meleon and it's path for the future, please help by answering the following questions.

1) Which of the following would best describe you as a K-Meleon user?

a) K-Meleon is my default browser and I use it all the time.
b) Another browser is my default, I only use K-Meleon sometimes.
c) I have tried K-Meleon but choose to not use it at all.

2) What are the reasons for the way you use K-Meleon?

a) What are your main reasons to choose K-Meleon as default browser?
b) What are your reasons to choose another browser as default, but still use K-Meleon?
c) What are the main reasons to choose not to use K-Meleon at all?

3) How would you like to see K-Meleon improve?

a) What are the most important missing features?
b) What possible improvements to K-Meleon's features would you like to see?
c) What are the most important unsolved bugs?

4) What would you like K-Meleon to have as a slogan?

a) The Unbloated Mozilla for Windows.
b) K-Meleon - The Browser You Control.
c) Other slogan, give example.

Re: Why you use K-Meleon?
Posted by: Marc (@box.)
Date: December 08, 2003 06:30PM

1) new option: d) I'm beginning to use KM. It is not my default browser. But it will probably become in the not too far future

2) b)
Gecko is still a bit buggy. XUL is so bloatware that I didn't really bothered to use Moz ok FB that much.
The more I use KM, the more I see gecko is not that bad (speed).
I'm still using NS4 (and IE, but KM has replaced it as #2) as my default browser because it set in a way KM can't for the moment (specific fullscreen mode, resource leak in KM's bookmark plugin).

3) b) native tabs ?
c) The lastest builds are a great improvement over a month (or two) ago.

4) b) This the current one. I like it
a) I like it better because it shows the real advantage over Mozilla/Firebird
When I speak with people over the problem with Mozilla, the #1 problem for them is bloatware (in a way or in another: memory usage, speed of the interface, ...)

Posted by: Nick
Date: December 08, 2003 07:49PM

1. a) Use 100% here at home and work.

2. a) I support OSS as much as I can, and the real reason I love KM is the configureabilty and 'tweakiness' of the thing. I believe people should own and control software running on their computers, not the propriatry companies. Basically, freedom.

3. b) As it is, KM for me is 99.999% perfect. I would like to see better plugin support - but that is maybe a pipedream in that a plugin is coded the other way around - for a browser, not the browser coded to try to use an existing plugin.

4. b)

Good work!

Nick

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: December 08, 2003 08:06PM

Hi boogomatic! smiling smiley

1a Fits me to the letter. I had KM on the hard drive for the past year or so but I was a Mozilla man at the time. I positively disliked Firebird (I'm being kind) because it was clunky on my 1.4gig tweaked to 1.8gig machine. But then things heated up here with KM. I love to test betaware so I got into the act. BANG! When I realised exactly what I could do with it from the people here AND the Wiki I was hooked! smiling smiley

The reasons why I choose it as default? Hmm... Speed in loading, speed in accessing pages (despite owning a t1 it does make a difference to me!), configurability, and despite a few minor bugs it's very, very stable. I can surf for the entire day and never have it crash on me. Also, as someone who does themes to match his shell, the fact that theming is so easy (easiest of any browser!) is another plus. It's just an all-around FUN browser!

I would like to address the speed in loading a second: On my machine, without the Loader and with an average of 21 to 28 programmes running at any given time (I run a network/web hosting) and only 256megs of RAM, KM opens in 1.5 to 2 seconds! Mozilla with Quick Launch takes longer, F-Bird is around 10+ seconds---and I don't even want to think about IE.

"How would you like to see K-Meleon improve?"

It's fine for me as is. But I like tweaking it despite not being all that computer savvy. However, I can see where for the common user just installing it, he'll take one look and say, "This is IT?" After coming from the other browsers, sure, s/he may be impressed by speed and quick loading, but they're used to setting a few more preferences. Auto-complete (though I never use it) is in high demand too. I think a search from URL bar (easily insertible by macro) is much better than the icon bar. While it's true that it may get more of a "Mozilla/F-Bird" look, "Tab Open/Close buttons" wouldn't hurt either. And other browsers have them as well. Again, all easily done by macros. And change the name "Layers" to "Tabs" and who's going to know the difference? ;P Also change the default theme, as I think the IE look is too much. Most people who try new browsers, I think you'll find, are trying to get away from the IE experience to try "something new". Not to puff you up boogomatic, but a theme based on one of your magic backgrounds would be nice. winking smiley You've done a great job with those! Another nice feature would be a way to wipe the complete browsing history when done, URLs, cookies, history, cache, etc. There's a macro here for some of that but I couldn't get it to work. sad smiley

Can't think of any "major" bugs as these seem to have been "solved" right around the corner in a test build.

Can't think of any slogans but I think we should perhaps stay away from "The Unbloated Mozilla for Windows." Hmm... Maybe: "Test drive a K-Meleon today!" But then even that sounds to much like Mozilla since they're naming all their builds after famous American autos.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for allowing us our say/input boogomatic!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: efosb
Date: December 08, 2003 09:07PM

1. a.
2. a. KM is fast, agile and has a lot of things i can change whenever i so desire.
3. a. hmm, can't think of any missing features right now. b. better handling of layers. c. the only bugs that seem to haunt me are xpcom.dll and having to make about:plugins my homepage (found a way around that but still).
4. c. im gonna just shoot off some slogans ;-)
"we're faster than the rest"
"KM kicks ass!"
"KM, the IE replacement"
and my last one for the day:
"tired of micro$oft? want a better alternative to the bloated and slow IE? look no further that KM! KM, the fastest browser around. Get rid of IE for good and feel the power with KM browser. with KM you are in control, not micro$oft! you will not be dissapointed."

hehe

Posted by: Chris
Date: December 08, 2003 09:39PM

1. a) K-Meleon is my default browser and I use it all the time.

2. a) K-Meleon is the fastest and most efficient browser that I have used.

3. a) Not anything in particular, just the bugs! winking smiley
b) Same as above.
c) Same as above.

4. b) K-Meleon - The Browser You Control.

Posted by: ra
Date: December 08, 2003 09:48PM

1) a) "K-Meleon is my default browser and I use it all the time."
Yep!

2) a) "What are your main reasons to choose K-Meleon as default browser?"

Small, fast (gecko with a native windows interface) and *highly customizeable*. "The browser you control" fits.

In the beginning it was the lack of alternatives and before that, well, I was curious about trying a (really) new .1 browser...

3) a) "What are the most important missing features?"

Auto-complete, sidebars, cookie- and pop-up-management.

Minor: I'd like to be able to run more than one k-m-instance like it was possible in (IIRC) .2/.3.

3) b) "What possible improvements to K-Meleon's features would you like to see?"

Add more to the core that is now done with macros or xul (dialogs!), *real* tabs (don't use them, normally, but they can be useful), enhanced 402 (=expose clicks as accellerators; so the same combination of mouse and pressed key will have different effect depending on the thing you click on (e.g. [shift]&[leftclick] over a link to open it in a new window, [shift]&[leftclick] over an image to save it, and so on), better drop-down-history-list (should go along with auto-complete).

There are many small things that make surfing more convenient (things like [Ctrl]&[Enter]) that will hopefully be added...

3) c) "What are the most important unsolved bugs?"

Well, personally I'd like to see 315 and depending things getting *really* fixed, but that's a moz problem... Of all the k-m bugs right now it is 547 (something went wrong supposedly while changing id_mouse to maccel_...??) and 491 along with the things from 3) a). Also memory leaks like the bookmarks-toolbar are of high importance (makes this feature unusable). There are more general bugs as well, but that's my personal list, like I said. :-)

4) a) Slogan "The Unbloated Mozilla for Windows."
Okay.

4) b) Slogan "K-Meleon - The Browser You Control."
Better.

4) c) "Other slogan, give example."
Dunno...

Re: Why do you use K-Meleon?
Posted by: Dan
Date: December 09, 2003 02:18AM

Why do you use K-Meleon?

I only play with the others to check out their quality of work, but in the end, I come back to K-Meleon.

Very configurable.

I like the way I can interface with it, and not be bam-boozled like M$ Explorter!

Some code clean up (if I knew how, I would, but.........) There have been some crashes, but all in all, I find that with every release, including the BETA releases, I find new reasons to stay with this browser.

Some better skins, ala Mozilla and Firebird.

K-Meleon - The Browser You Control.

Posted by: teeb
Date: December 09, 2003 02:59AM

1. (a)

2. (a) Originally moved from IE for all the same reasons most people make the move. Went through Mozilla Suite, then Firebird, and ended up with KM because it's the most customizable browser with the least use of resources on my RAM-challenged box.

3. (a) Would like to see some additions to the right-click context menu.(for example, the ability to copy an image to clipboard.)
(b) Since I use Thunderbird for mail, it would be nice to see KM have more themes in common with it. Other than that, just keep making it lighter and faster!
(c) Haven't really had any problems with bugs.

4. (b) is pretty good.

Posted by: Robert
Date: December 09, 2003 08:35AM

1) K-Meleon user:
a) All the time

2) Reasons for the way you use K-Meleon:
a) main reasons:
-macros
-my own menu
-my own toolbars

3) K-Meleon improvement and bugs:
Complete Internationalization Support
Customization for Preferences
Bugs Nr. 135, 569, 282, 300, 26

K-Meleon - the name is program

Robert

Posted by: wawa
Date: December 09, 2003 11:21AM

1: a

2: a Speed ( fastest browser on my dial-up connection) & Minimal Chrome (neutral and no thrills, with maximum viewing space for the site itself <---- the right priority for a browser IMHO)

3: a I'd like to use a more minimalistic skin, like Lo-Fi Classic for Mozilla.
b Can't think of any...
c The "dissapearing throbber" bug

4: b

Posted by: wawa
Date: December 09, 2003 02:17PM

Forgot this one:

3: a An option to "block images from site" like Mozilla has would be cool !

Posted by: alain.NO.SPAM.aupeix@wanadoo.f
Date: December 09, 2003 02:27PM

a) K-Meleon is my default browser and I use it all the time, on all my computers under w98se and w2k.

a) K-Meleon is the fastest browser I have used and the most customizable.

c) Perhaps (at work for me) the ie non standard html used by some sites. At home, I just post a letter to the webmaster and don't come again if things are not standard and can't be viewed by others browsers than the dirty buggy IE.

a) Complete Internationalization and Localization Support
Alt Left-Click don't blocked by K-Meleon and haveing the same action as Left-Click on a link to force force K-Meleon download box before FreshDown comes (a way to temporarely disable Download manager like Freshdown). It works with Firebird for example.

b) The possibility to share macros.cfg, etc beetween the profiles (not having to rewrite all the macros to all the profiles), perhaps by having their path in pref.js if shared

c) Some display bugs of builds 844 (seeming to be resolved with last builds, and the auto-proxy bug

c) K-Meleon - The IE killer

Posted by: DnOlvrB
Date: December 09, 2003 09:23PM

Close, but no cigar.

I tried it out, hoping to make a cd browser, but was unable to do so. I use mozilla.

If there was some way to allow users to write a km plug-in for handling special links/mime types, that would be cool.

Posted by: wde
Date: December 10, 2003 08:19AM

1) a)

2) I like the SPEED. I like blocking pop ups and tabbed browsing, but I don't like waiting for the regular mozilla to load up.

3) a) What are the most important missing features? I think it has enough features. Maybe make new windows open in the existing window be default like opera has it. I was able to find out how to do it, but I think it should be default.
b) What possible improvements to K-Meleon's features would you like to see? Is there anyway to make it where k-meleon will work on espn.com without having to identify as internet explorer? i don't have any trouble there with regular mozilla or netscape.
c) What are the most important unsolved bugs? I would say just overall stability. It doesn't crash too often, but more often than other browsers I would say.

4) Maybe a modification of Opera's slogan.

The fastest browser for windows. Period.

5) One more thing. I might try and get it promoted a little better. Have ya'll thought about trying to get it listed as the free file for the day on tech t.v. or something? I mean I never would have found out about it if I wasn't using mozilla and just happened upon the browsers using gecko link. I think a lot of people would switch to it once they saw how fast it was.

Posted by: MZ
Date: December 10, 2003 06:04PM

b) Another browser is my default [Opera], I only use K-Meleon sometimes.

b) What are your reasons to choose another browser as default, but still use K-Meleon?

K-Meleon is fast when starting and in rendering pages; it has also fast UI. But it lacks some features, which I really like.

Flash blocking, button to close tabs (I know it can be created by editing .cfg files, but I think it should be supported by default), session management (like in Opera, it should be possible to open for example 3 windows, each containing couple of tabs and when quitting browser and starting it again, it should open all previously used windows and tabs), maybe Memory Cache (like in Opera)?

I don't use K-Meleon to much, but there are some problems with non-English characters in Layer's titles. For example on this site: [url="[url]http://wiadomosci.wp.pl/wiadomosc.html?wid=1687927&ticket=5492496968253824e%2BZTpT1bPDs74ainL%2Fzdnpz57u7VDzmREwz7QxTpRHH8pPn1jMRsmOGOVFKQajE1DUO9hIpoAgGiZNcueuH8lZCfIA3H%2BRduHIRE4n1kJaCHCFEu%2FDpTXOv9%2FKS6ML4v"[/url];]Wirtualna Polska[/url]
Layer title is "Wiadomo?ci - ..."; instead of "?" should be character "s" with ' above it.

Posted by: Josh
Date: December 12, 2003 11:48PM

Here we go:

Another browser is my default, I only use K-Meleon sometimes.

K-M is not my default browser anymore.

I currently find the app suite to stable enough for daily usage. K-M is still buggy.

Not Applicable.

Flash Ad blocking.
A new UI

pop-up blocking whitelisting/blacklisting.

Not Applicable.

a) The Unbloated Mozilla for Windows.

This slogan is dated since Mozilla is trying to trim the bloat.

This sounds good.

c) Other slogan, give example.

Posted by: Woodland
Date: December 13, 2003 09:28PM

FAST!!!!!!!! easy simple

good Lay-out of controls and such ( juzt 5 or 6 menus...)

My screen is not overcrowded with buttons and options (i never use)

IT's not "helping" me like IE ( I hate wizards and the like )

Integrated RSS/XML like rrs-reader in Firebird

function to manually import and export bookmarks

JAVA

Guys you're browser is the fastest thing out there!!!!!!!

ATLEAST 2 times faster then IE , Firebird (on my systems)

K-meleon is the only browser that uses (can handle??) 2 megabits

1) K-meleon if you wanna Fligh the Net

2) You need a reptile to really fligh

3) Wanna fly the net???? get a Reptile/K-meleon

Posted by: Eric
Date: December 14, 2003 02:44PM

it's fast and efficient, and I like the way we can customise it. It's also lighter than netscape, and even firebird / mozilla etc. I like to be able to start a search on google by typing ctrl+g. I like we can navigate without mouse.

-> AUTOCOMPLETION !!!

-> is it possible (like the ctrl+g) to type something like ctrl+key so we can directly enter an url without clicking with mouse in the url field ? (it'd be quicker)

none. Except the bugs and the missing features, all is perfect.

well, after I think twice, maybe for ctrl + f, to be able to search both backward and forward, or to cycle search at least once so one could be sure after a search if there is nothing that the page has been completely searched (without searching once backward, and then click forward to be sure it's not on the other side)

I think also, could it be possible to change the default font encoding (unicode, western, chineese and such...) if by mistake the creator of some pages entered a wrong encoding ?

The way to organise bookmark could be improved, especially when we need to sort many bookmarks (for ex. to be able to select several bookmarks with ctrl or shift (like windows explorer), to put them into another folder later...)

To be able to search for words in whole bookmarks and history (maybe it's possible to search in history now, but I can't try now because it crashes kmeleon when I open history....)

-> 1st annoying bug -> if I open too many windows of tabs, there is no refresh of those windows, I need to scroll or highlight with mouse the text in order to see it. It's very annoying. If I close Kmeleon and start it again, it's generally not better, I need to reboot computer. (I have a necent computer running win98 and 512 Mb ram)

-> 2nd annoying bug -> before on kmeleon 7 it was sometimes difficult to drag an image from a html page and make it appear instead of this page (you had to drag it to the menu bar and back to the window). But generally it was ok and really usefull to copy some pictures in a webpage with annoying scripts like "right click not enabled"

But now (on Kmeleon 8) if by mistake you move your mouse while clicking on an image-link, then the html page will be remplaced and the image will not show either, and you get this kind of error message :
"The file /C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/web_logo_left.gif cannot be found. Please check the location and try again." And you can't go back into the previous page

c) (and b) K-Meleon - The *light (or fast)* Browser You Control.

Posted by: insaNity
Date: January 02, 2004 09:57AM

I (want to) use K-Meleon simpily because I think it is the only sane choice. There are basically 3 other groups worth considering:

Those based on IE. I do not like the standards dictatorship and lack of support by its creators.

The Mozilla family. These are simpily too slow.

Opera. Too commercial. I'm not paying for a product that charges me money to fix bugs/security flaws, when it may not exist tomorrow, and there are free alternatives that work better.

I choose K-Meleon because it is a fast Mozilla. It has the potential -- I do not see the problems of the other browsers going away, but I do see the problems of K-Meleon being fixed.

c) I have tried K-Meleon but choose to not use it at all.

Until Layers become Tabs.

I would really like to use it. It is the most suitable browser for me, but it's not _quite_ up to my needs.

* The window/layer support is too buggy.

* The File->Save often fails or just saves an emtpy/small html. I don't realise until afterwards, meaning I've lost the information. Sorry I have few details here, but I don't remember, plus this is a reason, not a bug report. Perhaps the save per frame changes I read about in the changelog have helped this.

Tabs in core. PLEASE. Yes, layers are improving, but I think ultimately there needs to be tabs in the core to ever get them reliable enough for serious use. Window/Tab mode could still be optional of course. Here's just some of the layering issues I have noticed (based on beta 0.8):

* Layering (windows consuming other windows) confuses my shell - The K-Meleon windows in the taskbar keep getting re-ordered. Also when I 'touch' a K-Meleon window it may then get consumed as a layer (or not).

* Sometimes when I close a layer the window shifts a few pixels.

* Some external links still open as windows instead of layers. There seems to be no certain type of url to distinguish this.

* Sometimes when I close 1 layer, it closes the whole window and even other windows (or is this just a silent crash?)

* Layer buttons may not fit horizontally in the Layer bar after the window is resized.

* Tabs that open "hidden toolbars" (btw, can I stop scripts doing that?), "gobble" the main window. It is like a window over the top of the main window. When I close it the whole program closes, losing all my previous layers.

I am not saying layers are implemented bad; the author(s) have done a great job at making them work as best as they can. What I _am_ saying, is I think the very concept of layering is a messy hack. Windows does not support 'layering'. I believe for this browser to reach its full potential, we need tabs.

c) K-Meleon: No-nonsense web browsing.

Posted by: Tom
Date: January 02, 2004 10:51AM

Hello,

1. b) My default browser: Mozilla smiling smiley
2. a) He is fast,fast,fast smiling smiley
3. a) More preferences and easy handling. Example: Cookies,History. . .
4. c) K-Meleon-the browser,his speed is fantastic!

Posted by: insaNity
Date: January 02, 2004 02:45PM

ack forgot to mention my settings, which make some of the "bugs" in my first post seem like expected behaviour.

Prefs.js:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.catch", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.catchClose", false);

accel.cfg:
"MButton = layers(OpenLink)" to "MButton = layers(OpenLinkBg)"
"MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_WINDOW" to "MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUND"

Above settings are to try and make K act like tabbed browsers should, which does work except for the bugs mentioned in my post above.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 02, 2004 03:11PM

The following should address some of your problems, but not the cosmetic pixel shifting & layer tab resize issues.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=SingleWindow

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 02, 2004 04:58PM

Why do I use KM?

I love the goofy little green lizard. <g>

Speed, Km is faster. Pseudo-scripting language. You can do a lot with macros. I don't program, but I certainly can cut and paste and incorporate other people's solutions.

Macros again. Single Window is great. No bloat with urls. I use the back and forward key instead and it works great. Block Ads is also great. Haven't seen an ad in ages!

Being able to load up macros and menu changes on the Main Menu has been the key for me in terms of using KM over other browsers and Speed, of course!

Don't care much about the layer vs tab issue, but if it can be changed to make it consistent with other Gecko browsers, go for it.

Lots of other stuff I agree with from other comments, but not essential. I use KM 99 percent of the time with Mozilla 1.5 sitting around for that off time when it doesn't work and IE 6 only when absolutely necessary.

One thing. I would love for somebody to take the Mozilla theme "Early Blue" which was the first theme for alpha Mozilla and port it to KM. Love that theme!

N

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 02, 2004 05:00PM

Why do I use KM?

I love the goofy little green lizard. <g>

Speed, Km is faster. Pseudo-scripting language. You can do a lot with macros. I don't program, but I certainly can cut and paste and incorporate other people's solutions.

Macros again. Single Window is great. No bloat with urls. I use the back and forward key instead and it works great. Block Ads is also great. Haven't seen an ad in ages!

Being able to load up macros and menu changes on the Main Menu has been the key for me in terms of using KM over other browsers and Speed, of course!

Don't care much about the layer vs tab issue, but if it can be changed to make it consistent with other Gecko browsers, go for it.

Lots of other stuff I agree with from other comments, but not essential. I use KM 99 percent of the time with Mozilla 1.5 sitting around for that off time when it doesn't work and IE 6 only when absolutely necessary.

One thing. I would love for somebody to take the Mozilla theme "Early Blue" which was the first theme for alpha Mozilla and port it to KM. Love that theme!

N

P.S. Don't know why the previous didn't word wrap, so here it is again. Cut and pasted from Notepad.

Posted by: gaasbyte
Date: January 02, 2004 05:37PM

1) k-meleon is my default browser, but i'm also trying myie2 now that it is supposed to be gecko based.
2) the main reason i chose k-m is i got tired of updating firebird and having new bugs to deal with on a "nightly" basis.
3) i'd like to see some of the extensions, as they are called in other gecko browsers, converted to macros for k-m. there was a "flash click to view" attempt made which used the jar file from the mozilla firebird extension while manually editing the installed-chrome.txt and userContent.css fies.
4) i like the "k-meleon, the browser you control" slogan. i use that slogan banner for a 1sec splash screen when i open the browser.

Posted by: Rapido
Date: January 02, 2004 06:02PM

Why use it? 1. It's fast and good browser and I like it verymuch.
2. And flashget works just fine with it.

Posted by: Kevin
Date: January 02, 2004 09:22PM

I use it because it fast and because I have more space on the sceen . I like the way Kute theme looks. All I need from a toolbar is on one line. KM requires 32 RAM. Firebird and Mozilla want 64 RAM. It works well and I don't have to be a computer wiz to use it.

Posted by: Mark Shields
Date: January 03, 2004 01:00AM

b) Another browser is my default, I only use K-Meleon sometimes.

Internet Explorer is my Main browser. It may not be standards compliant, but on the machines I have owned it's the most stable and the fastest browser available. I still like having a choice. I like netscape but the downloads are huge and bloated. I like mozillia but the same is true. As a web developer, It's important to try and support all the major browsers as much as possible. I like to have all the majors installed to view my sites through and make sure that at least a mediocrem of cross compatability is achieved. Also, In my circle of friends and family I'm the "computer guy". If someones computer is having problems running a given browser do to instability or lack of resourses, I can C O U N T on K meleon to run. It is the best Mozilla/Netscape browser out there.

I would like to the burlier plug in support of IE that would be major improvement. Such as the support of active x controls in certain situations and better support of windows media plugin.

I'll leave this up to you

Mark Shields
mshields@mark-shields.net

Posted by: woody
Date: January 03, 2004 04:46AM

i use it because after i tweaked and disabled all the stuff i didn't need, it's so
fast and so stable i can't believe it. i keep ie explorer as a backup only
because the evil softerware giant makes me.however i do miss tabbed browsing from firebird.
ps ? i disabled history until it gets a upgrade, could that cause a problem ?
95% of what was in history was already in my bookmarks
" keep it skinny"
richard wood

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.