General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Moving from Seamonkey to K-meleon
Posted by: jeffneedle
Date: March 26, 2008 09:53PM

This is probably a dumb question. I have lots of links and passwords in Seamonkey. I'm wanting to more to K-Meleon. I'm just not smart enough to figure some things out.

1. At the top of my screen, it says "Pocket K-Meleon 1.02". Is this the portable version? Do I just copy the entire k-meleon folder in order to back up every night?

2. Since both products are gecko-based, does this mean I can just move my bookmarks, etc., from Seamonkey?

Any help you can be will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving from Seamonkey to K-meleon
Posted by: desga2
Date: March 27, 2008 10:54AM

1) Yes it's.
2) Yes it's.

This have been easy! smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: kko
Date: March 27, 2008 04:10PM

jeffneedle
At the top of my screen, it says "Pocket K-Meleon 1.02". Is this the portable version?

Pocket K-Meleon is the unofficial portable version, yes. But K-Meleon 1.02 is outdated. The current official version is 1.1.4. More recent versions of Pocket K-Meleon can be found here.

jeffneedle
Do I just copy the entire k-meleon folder in order to back up every night?

Backing up the entire K-Meleon (installation) folder doesn't make much sense. What you should back up is your profile folder, which is hosting your personal settings and data. You can open/locate your profile folder through the menu (Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory).

jeffneedle
Since both products are gecko-based, does this mean I can just move my bookmarks, etc., from Seamonkey?

Principally, yes. As far as bookmarks are concerned, it is sufficient to copy your bookmarks.html file from your Seamonkey profile folder into K-Meleon's profile folder. Same for hostperm.1 - this file stores your cookie/image/popup permissions (if any). Your passwords are stored in a file named <randomDigits>.s. Delete the existing s file in K-Meleon's profile folder. Copy the s file from your Seamonkey profile to K-Meleon's profile. Then edit K-Meleon's prefs.js file. In the line

user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "<randomDigits>.s");

make the file name match the name of the file that you just copied from Seamonkey.

Posted by: jeffneedle
Date: March 27, 2008 05:17PM

What a lot of good info! Thanks to all.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.