General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
question about search bar
Posted by: issacnewton
Date: December 27, 2011 04:12PM

Hi

I am comparing behavior of kmeleon with chrome. In chrome, when I type 'm' in the
search bar, it automatically displays 'mail.yahoo.com' since its the site I often go to. But in kmeleon, after typing 'm' in search bar , it displays 'mail.google.com' , though in kmeleon, I access both yahoo and gmail accounts. So whats the reason for such behavior ?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question about search bar
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 27, 2011 05:17PM

Just about terms:

I think you mean 'URL bar', not 'search bar'. In Chrome both are combined in one. In KM there are no search bar by default (only by plugin).

Try to go here:

and check highlighted box if unchecked - this allows KM to show you more recently visited places in URL bar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 05:17PM by rodocop.

Date: December 28, 2011 10:16AM

http://min.us/mbmVvryeKq

here is the snapshot of my current settings. What does "Typed URLs only" mean ?
I don't type urls in the url bar. But when I type 'm' in url bar, it gives list of
some websites which I visited. For example, "mail.google.com" comes in url bar, when I type 'm'. But I never type "mail.google.com" in url bar but just click gmail link
on google page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 10:20AM by issacnewton.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 28, 2011 12:51PM

There are two displays of history for the URL bar. As you noted, if you type a letter you will get a list of items with that letter. That is all places you visited. If you click the little down arrow at the left of the URL bar you will get a list from the URL bar history. If in the case of having selected "Typed URLs only" the URL bar history will only contain items that you typed into the bar. You can choose to have all places visited in this list. I personally prefer to keep this list for typed URLs only.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: January 04, 2012 05:24AM

Hi

I did as suggested by rodocop. But I still can't get the mail.yahoo.com in the url bar, when I type 'mail' in the url bar. Whats the problem ?

Date: January 04, 2012 02:25PM

Try typing an "L". I think the page starts with login.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: January 05, 2012 03:23AM

no even typing L doesn't seem to work. so is this some kind of bug in kmeleon.
otherwise its a great browser. the dev team needs to take note of this

Date: January 05, 2012 01:25PM

Which version of KM are you using. I am using 1.6.0 beta 2.4 and typing an L worked for me. Please note the the item you want will be at the bottom of the listing. It begins with https which sorts after http.

Edit: Just remembered to say that the site must still be in history for this to work.

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 01:31PM by JamesD.

Date: January 09, 2012 01:28PM

Hi

I have version 1.5.4. And typing 'L' (case doesn't matter) seemed to work tongue sticking out smiley
Just didn't notice for the first time. typing 'lo' gave exact yahoo address for
the log in. So does chrome have a different way of doing things ?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.