General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Strange behaviour using backspace in new Yahoo
Posted by: HarryinUK
Date: April 02, 2008 01:34PM

Hi folks.
I'm using ver 1.1.4. I've altered the default keyboard operator for moving back in the page history to backspace, which has caused the following strange effect in the new eye-candy Yahoo mail - if I'm editing an email in one of their tabs and I use backspace to delete, the browser moves to the previous tab rather than deleting. I have to fiddle with the delete key, or else compose my email in notepad or similar. Any ideas on this? I haven't tried it in the Yahoo Classic, which I would expect behaves itself.
Many thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strange behaviour using backspace in new Yahoo
Posted by: kko
Date: April 02, 2008 04:09PM

Well, when you assign a function to a key, km will execute this function whenever you hit that key. Accels aren't context-sensitive...

Date: April 02, 2008 06:58PM

kko - What I'm saying is that I can edit all other text boxes using backspace - including on this forum - but I can't in Yahoo. There, and only there, I get this strange behaviour. Get my drift? I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear on that.

Posted by: Phaeton
Date: April 15, 2008 09:33AM

Hi,
I also would like to use the Backspace key the same way as in Firefox. There it is fine, it goes back one page, however in the URL field it behaves OK, as "delete character". Not so in K-Meleon :-( Here, if I redefine the Backspace key in the accels.cfg, it goes back a page even if I am in the URL field. Any fix, help, tip or suggestion ? Thanks.

Posted by: Fred
Date: April 15, 2008 06:09PM

To go back one page, I prefer using a different
shortcut, Ctrl(right) plus LeftArrow, by adding
CTRL VK_LEFT = ID_NAV_BACK
to accel.cfg .
I use additionally Ctrl(right) plus RightArrow
CTRL VK_RIGHT = ID_NAV_FORWARD
to go forward one page.
This is very handy, using only two fingers of the
right hand to step back and forth in page history,
and I have preferred that for ages.
You can also add Ctrl(right) plus DownArrow
CTRL VK_DOWN = layers(Close)
to close a layer, or
CTRL VK_DOWN = ID_FILE_CLOSE
to close a window, all using only two fingers
of your right hand.
In this way, backspace can be reserved for its
original function.
It may be a bit difficult to change old habits,
but in the end you may be happier with these
key combinations.

Fred

Date: April 15, 2008 06:34PM

P.S.
To close a (real) tab in the 1.5 versions, the shortcut would be

CTRL VK_DOWN = ID_CLOSE_TAB

Fred

Date: April 15, 2008 07:22PM

Fred - thanks for all this fine info. Unfortunately I only have a Left Control key on my laptop, so I'm afraid I'm no further forward. It doesn't matter all that much, as it only happens in Yahoo, but I'm puzzled as to why Firefox can manage to do both Delete and Back navigation, depending on the context, but KM doesn't behave that way. Is it to do with the way KM is put together?

Date: April 15, 2008 07:48PM

Although K-Meleon and Firefox use the same Gecko engine, the
executable k-meleon.exe and kplugins are different from
Firefox. I cannot estimate the problems that Dorian encounters
when things like backspace using to go back a page are colliding
with other functions. If it would be easy to achieve, it
would certainly have been implemented already.

Fred

Posted by: Rob
Date: April 28, 2008 05:29AM

I agree with the original poster here, KM used to behave in this way.. where backspace was a nice and fast way to to navigate backwards, and not it's hopelessly broken.

If there were a way to specify %ifurlbar instead of %iflayers that may give us greater granularity of where we want backspace to work as a navigation key or a backspace key.

Fred any ideas?

Posted by: Dorian
Date: April 30, 2008 09:42PM

The problem is quite simple in fact.

When you're editing the "To:" field, switch to another app then switch back to kmeleon. The input element still has the focus.

Do the same now with the message. The focus is lost when you switch back! Gecko should have restored it.

When K-Meleon ask gecko for the focus, it get nothing, which mean nothing is focused, so backspace --> going back . It could be related with the fact that the textarea for the message is in an iframe. I don't think kmeleon can work around this as long as kmeleon use this method to handle accelerators (and I'm not planning to change it). Anyways there is something wrong with the focus here in gecko.

Posted by: Rob
Date: May 15, 2008 01:30AM

Dorian,

Yes, I get that gecko has changed and keeps evolving, so perhaps filing a focus bug with gecko is the place to go.

I'm mainly disappointed with the loss of functionality with the 1.1 branch as opposed to the 1.0. Using backspace to navigate backwards in the appropriate context is pretty key to the browser I choose to use as is the speed with which it does so.

KM was great for this for a long time until recently, where I can't seem to get around it with a modified macro or accel setting.

I'm hoping this gets taken care of soon. In the mean time I'll have to use another browser.

Thanks for the reply.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.