General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Please help me- all my files got deleted while uninstalling K meleon
Posted by: Gautam Malik
Date: January 20, 2012 04:58AM

I had downloaded K meleon yesterday and today i uninstalled it but it deleted all my files present in D drive. Please Please Please restore those files. Please help me!!

Please contact me on +919886922966 for more information.

Thanks,
Gautam Malik

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please help me- all my files got deleted while uninstalling K meleon
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 20, 2012 12:36PM

It's absolutely impossible the setup make this problem.

Or, it's really a spam ..or your Windows is infected by some viruses, completely without report with K-Meleon.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 20, 2012 04:00PM

Gautam Malik
I had downloaded K meleon yesterday and today i uninstalled it but it deleted all my files present in D drive. Please Please Please restore those files. Please help me!!

Please contact me on +919886922966 for more information.

Thanks,
Gautam Malik

You can use free unerase software to restore the folders and files on d:/

http://www.google.de/search?num=100&q=unerase%20programs

Please consult the K-Meleon license about possible damages.

The default install and remove options of this software are safe and cannot have the effect that You describe. You have either used improper options or have a PC problem that does not come from K-Meleon uninstall. It is absolutely Your own fault.

Support in this forum is restricted to forum posting. So that the next person can get the info by reading old posts. It also is strictly volunteer forum.

There is no phone support available. Furthermore K-Meleon forum members do not know which country +919886922966 is. Only moderators can see the country of origin of a post.

This is an international forum. Not an English or American national forum. There is no free international cal service available in any country. And no persons from France, Germany... or anywhere will phone any person abroad, nationally or locally.

Greetings to India

@ alain - are You sure that uninstall.exe does not delete all files in the folder where it is started? And that this "folder" can not be a drive when the K-Meleon software has been installed in an improper way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 04:12PM by guenter.

Posted by: Gautam Malik
Date: January 20, 2012 05:43PM

I asked me if i would like to delete my user profile, I thought it is asking me about K Meleon user profile hence I said yes. Once it deleted all my storred data from D Drive (word documents, .pst file, everything) then I realised what a blunder has happened.

I belong to India and I gave my number in desperation to recover my documents. I know now its quite late and I might not be able to recover my data ever but I would ask the K Meleon developers to not include such options while unistalling which mey lead to people's suffering.

I will keep you posted if I finda way to recover my data and be successful.

Thanks,
Gautam Malik

Posted by: adodupan
Date: January 20, 2012 07:06PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 07:18PM by adodupan.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 20, 2012 09:59PM

@guenter,

I'm sure that it can't do that problem. The files in the list are just the one installed, and the name is a complete path+file name. Here is the beginning of the uninstaller code:

UninstallText $(UN_confirm)

Section Uninstall
Call un.CloseKMeleon
Sleep 1000
ExecWait '"$INSTDIR\SetDefault.exe" /u'
Delete $INSTDIR\k-meleon.exe
Delete $INSTDIR\k-meleon.exe.manifest

As you can see, it's impossible, as this is a list, no *.*

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 21, 2012 04:47AM

Gautam Malik

First of all - do not work with your affected drive. Best of all disconnect your hard drive from PC and connect it to another one as second drive. And then run some restoration software from host PC.
Do not restore your info to the same drive where it was before deletion!!!
Choose the folder on the other hard drive and point your restoration software to save restored files there!

Good luck!

P.S. It's not KM what really deletes your data on disk. I can't say more, but it's simple uninstaller.
The only possibiliti is if you have installed your KM that way when you documents folder have got into KM profile one...

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 22, 2012 02:06PM

Gautam Malik
I asked me if i would like to delete my user profile, I thought it is asking me about K Meleon user profile hence I said yes. Once it deleted all my storred data from D Drive (word documents, .pst file, everything) then I realised what a blunder has happened.

I belong to India and I gave my number in desperation to recover my documents. I know now its quite late and I might not be able to recover my data ever but I would ask the K Meleon developers to not include such options while unistalling which mey lead to people's suffering.

I will keep you posted if I finda way to recover my data and be successful.

User Profile is be MS default in %appdata%/K-Meleon... or
./program files/K-Meleon/profiles.
It is a user choice K-meleon can be set to use either location.

Exact location of %appdata%/K-Meleon can vary by OS and language version of OS.
For English system location see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
But it is K-Meleon not Mozilla. That is not/never on :/D normally.

To find out what can possibly have gone wrong at Your PC developers need info about Your Os and the K-Meleon version used in the accident.

I hope that You did not have to many files on d:/ because unerase jobs are tedious.

Thx for keeping forum informed about the accident and recovery results.
It helps others.

Greetings from Germany.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 02:08PM by guenter.

Posted by: mhf
Date: January 23, 2012 06:21PM

The OP's question and problem reminds me of a previous post quite a while ago with the same "apparent" problem (but I can't find it as I can't remember the exact terms of that post) - maybe someone else can ?

Date: January 25, 2012 04:55AM

there was a topic(s) about deleting old KM profiles not about erasing all the disk data...

Posted by: mhf
Date: January 25, 2012 11:38AM

Thanks rodocop but I think I have found what I was talking about : Desperate

Date: January 25, 2012 12:28PM

I see.

So, what can I say... Use portable builds, folks!

Free and easy with no such problems...

Posted by: siamdave
Date: June 21, 2012 06:51AM

- the guy is not mistaken - the K-meleon uninstall just did the same thing to me - it almost finished uninstalling, and then the little box came up with a message like "There appear to be a few undelted files left in the folder - would you like to delete them too?' - and without thinking I clicked 'yes' - and then suddenly there is a box with a very rapidly scrolling list of files being deleted, and I realise this is more than just a couple of extra k-meleon files, but the whole damn drive. And the 'Cancel' button was deactivated - in the few seconds before I thought to hit the UPS power supply to shut it down, it deleted some 12,000 files. I was VERY lucky that it did not get any of my main data, and also very lucky, I guess, I had not installed the program in the C drive. But it is still something the K-meleon people better do something about.

Date: June 21, 2012 07:10AM

So, the rule #1 is:

NEVER UNINSTALL K-Meleon! Don't even think about! :drool:
You cannot live without it!

P.S. And once again - use portable builds. No problem there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 07:11AM by rodocop.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 21, 2012 12:20PM

rodocop
So, the rule #1 is:

NEVER UNINSTALL K-Meleon! Don't even think about! :drool:
You cannot live without it!

rodocop,

I've thought for quite some time that KM should ONLY have the ini file install in the program folder, or, in other words a portable install routine. I've also thought that the loader should be dumped completely. But that's just me.

N

Posted by: Kleon
Date: June 21, 2012 05:03PM

rodocop

@ rodocop

Is CommMeleon 1.6+ portable, or does it come with an installer?

——————————————————————————
Windows XP Pro SP3 | K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta2
Trying out various subspecies of the lizard smiling smiley

Date: June 21, 2012 07:10PM

Kleon,
it's distributed as archive file, it creates profiles in it's own folder, it doesn't write anything in registry and finally it can be easily copied onto removable media and started from there - so it's really portable.

Only system thing it uses is system TEMP folder (sometime).

ndebord,
I agree - this is optimal distribution way for such product as KM.

Date: June 21, 2012 07:18PM

I apologize for CommMeleon-v2 delay: my knowledge about build creating and customizing is pretty basic, so I learn this 'science' while trying to build new version. And I'm not a coder anyway, sorry.

And now I can say new build would be possibly the best of all KMs. No new code though, but it would be packed full of little goodies, so I hope it would be real surprise for all the fans of our BEST browser on the world! :cool:

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: June 21, 2012 08:59PM

rodocop
I apologize for CommMeleon-v2 delay: ~snipped~
And now I can say new build would be possibly the best of all KMs.~snipped~

How soon may we expect it :drool:

soccerfan

Date: June 21, 2012 09:20PM

If all would be as planned - this month.

Else - I don't know. My intention is to make it better than first build - not only add new 'features'. But something may go wrong as I would do it first time...

Posted by: fyi
Date: August 13, 2012 04:03AM

Back on topic:

siamdave
- the guy is not mistaken - the K-meleon uninstall just did the same thing to me - it almost finished uninstalling, and then the little box came up with a message like "There appear to be a few undelted files left in the folder - would you like to delete them too?' - and without thinking I clicked 'yes' - and then suddenly there is a box with a very rapidly scrolling list of files being deleted, and I realise this is more than just a couple of extra k-meleon files, but the whole damn drive. And the 'Cancel' button was deactivated - in the few seconds before I thought to hit the UPS power supply to shut it down, it deleted some 12,000 files. I was VERY lucky that it did not get any of my main data, and also very lucky, I guess, I had not installed the program in the C drive. But it is still something the K-meleon people better do something about.

I'm not sure but this page may describe the problem and the solution regarding the uninstaller:

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Validating_$INSTDIR_before_uninstall

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.