General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
New K-Meleon released?
Posted by: joe
Date: June 17, 2008 01:50PM

I see Mozilla Firefox 3 is supposed to be released today ( June 17 ). I know K-Meleon is based on SeaMonkey, not Firefox but when a new Firefox is released, a new SeaMonkey is usually not far behind. Might there be a new K-Meleon released soon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New K-Meleon released?
Posted by: Fred
Date: June 17, 2008 04:35PM

Seamonkey updates only, if new security problems appear.
For example when Firefox 2.0.0.13 was updated to
Firefox 2.0.0.14, Seamonkey did not follow, because
apparently it was not affected by the vulnerabilties,
that Firefox had, and still has the number 1.1.9.
The release of Firefox 3 is also not a necessary update,
but a new architecture with new features is being presented.
Firefox 2.0.0.14 is still safe, and it has all available
extensions running, while many, or even most Firefox extensions
do not yet work correctly with Firefox 3 .
So there is no need for an immediate release of a new
K-Meleon, and it will be released in due time, as I presume.

Fred

Posted by: Terry
Date: June 17, 2008 05:03PM

There is an experimental K-M based upon the same GRE as Firefox 3 put out by Hao, if you would like to get somewhat of an idea what K-M would be like with the new GRE: http://kmeleon.et8.net/K-MeleonCCFME0.09Beta1V5.exe .

Posted by: roger
Date: June 17, 2008 11:03PM

Fred
Firefox 2.0.0.14 is still safe, and it has all available
extensions running, while many, or even most Firefox extensions
do not yet work correctly with Firefox 3 .Fred

Why would Mozilla release Firefox 3 if many extensions don't work correctly? The latest release is not always the greatest, apparently.

Posted by: Fred
Date: June 18, 2008 12:24AM

The extension writers, who are working mostly on their own,
need a certain time to rewrite their extensions and adapt
them to the new architecture. After a while, most extensions
will then be available again, but many users will swing back
to Firefox 2 temporarily, after having realized, that some
extensions are missing, that they used to have before.

Fred

Posted by: casper
Date: June 19, 2008 01:49AM

Terry
There is an experimental K-M based upon the same GRE as Firefox 3 put out by Hao, if you would like to get somewhat of an idea what K-M would be like with the new GRE: http://kmeleon.et8.net/K-MeleonCCFME0.09Beta1V5.exe .
Is that version of K-Meleon safe too use?.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 19, 2008 11:56AM

@ casper:

CCF ME versions are different versions to official versions. CCF Me versions use Lua instead Macros and a different chrome (noXUL) so that K-Meleon extensions not works.

It's all safe that a beta version can be. (Originally it's only a test version)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 19, 2008 03:36PM

@casper - Hao's builds are experimental. As desga2 points out, he has omitted the XUL component and uses Lua as the basis of his Macros. So, while safe, they are in development, so they may not always run on everyone's machine. Hao's builds do run faster normally than K-M. This v5 is really very fast. However, there is a problem with its running javascripts. Hao does base his builds on Dorian's code. I mentioned it above to someone in case they would want to see what K-M might perform like with the GRE of Firefox 3.

Posted by: joe
Date: June 20, 2008 04:35AM

Terry

I downloaded the V5 but when I tried to install it, 7-Zip said it did not recognize the format. Many sites will not display fully without javascript enabled so really need to get javascript working correctly.

Date: June 20, 2008 03:32PM

Hao does use 7-zip to compress his file (so you might need to download the file again). Using 7-zip to uncompress the file from Windows Explorer (right click the mouse with the file selected choose 7-Zip from the drop down menu), you can unzip in the directory you are in or aim it at Program Files. It should make a directory called \K-MeleonCCFMEO.09Beta1V5. Using Windows Explorer, you should be able to double click the file k-meleon.exe to get it to run.

As to Javascript, in previous versions, v1-v4, there seems to be no problem. I've only found it to be a problem in v5 where you click on something to ask it to execute an app, particularly those that call up a window. I do not know what the problem is. It may be that AdBlock, which Hao includes in his builds, is not allowing the execution of a window or a command from the javascript command.
It is a beta. I only mentioned it for folks to see what the equivalent GRE for Firefox 3 might run like for a future K-M. Because Hao cuts out a lot of chrome, it is going to run fast anyway. But, this v5 runs much faster than v4 even,

Hao uses Dorian's code, which implies that when Dorian adapts his code to the equivalent GRE for Firefox 3, the transition may not be that drastic. Dorian and kko go at their own pace, and they are pretty meticulous about things before they release a new build. When they issue an "alpha" version, it is close to the real thing with very few bugs.

Hao tried to retire from working on his CCFME builds, but he seems to want to see things through and not leave them hanging. Give him time, and he will perfect the javascript execution problem. Meanwhile, it will give you a glimpse of what will come when the new GRE has matured, and Dorian feels it is stable enough to warrant his time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2008 03:32PM by Terry.

Date: June 20, 2008 05:31PM

Here is one reason to be cautious about the new Firefox 3.0 - "What we can confirm is that about five hours after the official release of Firefox 3.0 on June 17th, our Zero Day Initiative program received a critical vulnerability affecting Firefox 3.0 as well as prior versions of Firefox 2.0.x." - quoted from full article here: http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/06/18/vulnerability-in-mozilla-firefox-30

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.