General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why use K-Meleon?
Posted by: DasFox
Date: July 30, 2008 03:59AM

I know my subject title is pretty vague, but what advatanges are there to using K-Meleon compared to Firefox?

I've known of K-Meleon since it first began, but I've never used.

I was a fan of Firefox when it first started out as Phoenix, then later became Firebird, along with Opera in it's early days...

Lately with some of the 2x & now the latest 3x versions of Firefox I've had enough with some of it's problems and I'm finally looking to greener pastures...

Please help me understand what K-Meleon has to offer?

THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why use K-Meleon?
Posted by: guenter
Date: July 30, 2008 04:22AM

K-Meleon is so much older than Phoenix. I wonder why You have never used it :O

The native widget versions of Gecko browser: Galeon, Kazehakase, Epiphany, Camino & K-Meleon are well integrated into their respective OS. That makes them resource efficient and fast (e.g. at startup) compared to the Geckos the rely much on XUL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2008 04:24AM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: July 30, 2008 10:10AM

Have you ever wondered why you want to stop using Firefox?
The answer is the same.
You can found in this forum a lot of thread about this question.
We can say you a lot of things about K-Meleon, but the better is that you test it by yourself and decide it.

K-Meleon it's only a Browser.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 30, 2008 01:03PM

@desgas, For me the question never existed because I came here before Firefox project started and when they had finally started their project - I had learned to configure K-Meleon via about : config. And on Windows K-Meleon has been always faster than any other Gecko browser. K-Meleon is already at the first URL before Firefox has completely started.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: July 30, 2008 02:02PM

I hated IE 6 and then I heared that there were some other browsers out there, I tried Firefox 2, and some others and I found out that K-Meleon was the best.

It's considerably faster than any other browser, it works perfectly even in a Pentium II, and you can modify everything of it.

Most K-Meleon users I know have their K-Meleon so customized that it's hardly recognizable as the original K-Meleon.

Posted by: Terry
Date: July 30, 2008 02:28PM

The browser you choose depends on how you like to surf the web. Given that, there seem to be three preferences that most feel are important 1) the speed of rendering a webpage 2) a small memory footprint that remains stable in doing this and finally, 3) using add-ons to modify the behaviour of the browser.

On the first two preferences, K-Meleon will be at the top of everyone's list. It is fast and uses a tiny bit of your resources, and it is most certainly stable. Add-ons is not one of its strengths. Nor is it easy to adapt K-Meleon to some add-ons. Most who use K-Meleon do not see add-ons as a strength - they slow down the browser, cause it to consume more memory and destabilize it. There are add-ons that have been adapted to K-Meleon and they work well. But there are not a great number of them. More often than not, we see Firefox people seeking a new browser because its openness to add-ons has slowed it to a snail's crawl and blown its memory usage to one tick before a blue screen of death.

These forums are extremely helpful to find workarounds or simply to ask "how do you do this?" And, unlike many forums where questions are asked and never answered, here, they are usually answered within a day or so.

K-Meleon's advantages far outweigh its limitations.

Date: July 30, 2008 10:40PM

Thanks for the replies, I want security, speed, and stability...

The only addon I liked for FF was 'downthemall'

Is there a download manager addon for K-meleon?

THANKS again...

Date: July 30, 2008 10:44PM

My bad sorry for not looking better for a download addon... smiling smiley

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/ExternalApplications#downloads

What download manager does everyone recommend?

THANKS

Date: July 30, 2008 10:49PM

One last thing, does the K-Meleon loader really make a difference?

For me I'm looking for lightweight as little as possible, so for me, I just look at this as one more thing to add on, more stuff, etc., and more I don't want, less I do... smiling smiley

Sounds like to me, all this is, is just running some of it in the background already...

THANKS

Date: July 30, 2008 11:54PM

Loader is only recommended (IMO) if your computer is very old. (Pentium I or Pentium II, RAM less of 512 MB and CPU 500 Mhz)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 31, 2008 02:01AM

Thanks I didn't install it, I'm running an Athlon XP 3000+ and K-Meleon is loading plenty fast... smiling smiley

Date: July 31, 2008 02:04AM

My bad sorry for double post...

What download manager does everyone recommend for K-Meleon as a addon, is there a good one to use?

THANKS

Date: July 31, 2008 04:59AM

I us k-Meleon on p500 with limited Ram and on a new double core Amilo with plenty of all. I use the loader with neither machine. I have several K-Meleon versions installed and I cannot switch well while the loader is active winking smiley

The loader gives You an extra edge (speedwise) if You use only one K-m version.
It preloads like IE - MS knew why they also chose that setup for speed grinning smiley

I use Orbit for a download manager (adapter at alain's extension page) - for music/video I use Free Studio manager from http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/ it can rip
the songs to mp3 out of You-tube videos on the fly. I like MicroRSS as Reader.

The K-Meleon extension I like best is Console2 (by Simon Bünzli found to work for k-meleon by alain) - it comes with K-Meleon by default and helped me debug web pages & adapt chrome (Firefox and other extensions).

p.s. I did not see a double post. Else enaitz and me are moderators - we have the licence to remove & censor - just tell us.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2008 05:05AM by guenter.

Posted by: Panzer
Date: July 31, 2008 04:29PM

I like K-Meleon because of its stability. It crashed only once in 6 months.

Well, I can't download pics from ftp and also can't use inotes, but this are only minor glitches. winking smiley

I did not try it with 1.6 version, so maybe it is working with the new version. winking smiley))

Posted by: caktus
Date: July 31, 2008 06:57PM

Desga2
Loader is only recommended (IMO) if your computer is very old. (Pentium I or Pentium II, RAM less of 512 MB and CPU 500 Mhz)

I am using a Celeron D, 2.66GHz, (though only 256MB RAM) XP, and the Loader.exe makes a HUUUUDGE! improvement.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2008 06:57PM by caktus.

Date: July 31, 2008 07:09PM

A bit off topic, but FYI. If you choose not to use a Home Page with IE, IE can be made to open much faster with out IE being added to Startup (msconfig.)

Simply right click on the IE icon on the Task bar and select Properties. At the end of the Target string add " -nohome" without the quotes. It should now look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

**NOTE** that there is a space between "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" and -nohome.

Charlie

Date: July 31, 2008 10:05PM

guenter
I us k-Meleon on p500 with limited Ram and on a new double core Amilo with plenty of all. I use the loader with neither machine. I have several K-Meleon versions installed and I cannot switch well while the loader is active winking smiley

The loader gives You an extra edge (speedwise) if You use only one K-m version.
It preloads like IE - MS knew why they also chose that setup for speed grinning smiley

I use Orbit for a download manager (adapter at alain's extension page) - for music/video I use Free Studio manager from http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/ it can rip
the songs to mp3 out of You-tube videos on the fly. I like MicroRSS as Reader.

I was thinking about using Orbit too, where's alain's extension page?

The K-Meleon extension I like best is Console2 (by Simon Bünzli found to work for k-meleon by alain) - it comes with K-Meleon by default and helped me debug web pages & adapt chrome (Firefox and other extensions).

Where is this Console2, and what extensions are we talking about that you can use with this?

p.s. I did not see a double post. Else enaitz and me are moderators - we have the licence to remove & censor - just tell us.

The one above the one you replied to... smiling smiley

THANKS

Date: July 31, 2008 11:33PM

@ caktus:
Is it not better configure IE to start with blank page instead Home page or modify the command run line? tongue sticking out smiley

I know people who likes things complicated, but the best is always the easiest. grinning smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2008 11:36PM by desga2.

Date: August 01, 2008 02:05AM

Desga2
but the best is always the easiest.

As in no home page? :p LOLOLOLOL

Charlie

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.