General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Favicons in Bookmark-Menue ?
Posted by: Klaus Fiedler
Date: July 30, 2008 11:20AM

Hello together,

is it possible to show the individual "favicons" for each entry in the bookmark-menue ?
In the moment, each entry has the same default favicon. So overview isn`t quite as good as it is per example in Firefox or Windows - IE. There, every bookmark gets it own favicon the entry is stated up for the first time.

Any help to do that ? ( I am using K-Meleon 1.1.6 )

Many thynks in advance ...

Klaus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favicons in Bookmark-Menue ?
Posted by: desga2
Date: July 30, 2008 11:41AM

This isn't implemented in 1.1.X versions but this is implemented in next 1.5 version, current 1.5RC is available.
Look Announcement (first thread in all forums) for download link.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Klaus Fiedler
Date: July 30, 2008 12:05PM

I have downloaded K-Meleon 1.5.0 ( K-Meleon1.5.0RCen-US.7z ),but this version shows the same behavior : In menue "Favorites" allways the same default favicon.

Any sugesstions ?

Posted by: Terry
Date: July 30, 2008 12:31PM

As you visit each webpage using your bookmarks, the icon should change. I have also found that if you change (in about:config):
browser.chrome.favicons to true and
kmeleon.favicons.titleBar to true
bookmarks will often pick up icons that it has missed.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 30, 2008 01:36PM

I use the same bookmarks file with K-Meleon 1.1.4de-DE to German Preview Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; de-DE; rv:1.8.1.16pre) Gecko/20080622 K-Meleon/1.5.0.

The German beta version has with default settings started to write site specific bookmark icons for pages that had them. The actual favicons are not in the bookmarks file but seem to be in IconCache.dat (a 140 kb file!). In the past (with older K-Meleon) when that file did not work as expected You had to delete it. So that a new one with better performance was generated. kmeleon.favicons.titleBar is false but 1.5.0de-DE still shows Favicons in MRU list drop on down and visit smiling smiley

Posted by: kko
Date: July 30, 2008 04:28PM

Klaus Fiedler
I have downloaded K-Meleon 1.5.0 ( K-Meleon1.5.0RCen-US.7z ),but this version shows the same behavior : In menue "Favorites" allways the same default favicon.

What now? Menu Bookmarks or menu Favorites? Bookmarks are not Favorites.

As desga2 already mentioned, Bookmarks in km 1.5 support site icons. Favorites and Hotlist do not.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 01, 2008 12:10AM

The site icons in bookmarks are AFAIK realized by Gecko code - I do not know whether Favorites or Hotlist can have favicons with this code. Only a minority here uses Favorites and Hotlist - so maybe it is not worth the effort.

mfG an Klaus @ alicedsl.de & an Klaus @ T

p.s. Weder bookmarks.html noch Opera6.adr enthalten eine direkte Referenz zu den Ikonen. K-Meleon stellt seine Referenz in den IconCache.dat selbst her. Wie Opera das für die Hotlist Favicons macht? Auf jeden Fall finde ich die Ikonen nicht wichtig genug, dass Dorian darauf dev Zeit verwendet.

& kko - es gibt noch nicht einmal einen richtigen nativen Namen für Hotlist & Favoriten (Heiße Liste und Liebste Freunde & alle sind Lesezeichensmiling smiley ) - wie sollen wir armen Nicht-Devs das unterscheiden :s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2008 12:32AM by guenter.

Posted by: honest1abe
Date: August 01, 2008 03:44AM

The remark by KKO finally explained to me why I can not see Favicons when I kept reading about 1.5 being able to display them. Bookmarks and Favorites are not the same thing, yet most people use them interchangeably because they perform the same function.

I had assumed that since favorites can be moved into bookmarks and vice-versa that favicons would work with both. It appears that was an inaccurate assumption.

Guenter says he does not know whether Favorites can display favicons or if it is even worth the effort.

Since more people use IE than all other browsers put together, seems like it would be worth the effort. Please do not think I am promoting IE. I am only stating a fact.

I enjoy K-Meleon very much. I like to customize and this is definitely the browser for folks like me. If I could get favicons for favorites, I would be elated.

About the only other request I would like is a port of Foxmarks since I think it is the best favorites/bookmarks syncing add-on I have experienced.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.