General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Cannot uninstall
Posted by: Steve
Date: February 19, 2012 11:42PM

I installed the 'stable; release. I could not get it to be the default browser or to open links in new tabs instead of windows. Then I stopped using it. Next my system started having crash problems where something would take over my video driver and insist on installing 6 windows updates. I have not had these problems before with any other browser.

So I tried to uninstall K-Meleon with the uninstaller that came with it in the start programs list. That refused to uninstall. So I tried using windows remove programs. That refuses to uninstall. Worse, when it starts to uninstall, it then gets hung and I have to use the task manager to kill the application.

I don't think this 'stable' release is ready for prime time at all - maybe worse.

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW I CAN GET IT COMPLETELY OFF MY XP SYSTEM, LET ME KNOW.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cannot uninstall
Posted by: Steve
Date: February 21, 2012 12:36AM

So it turns out that to get this thing uninstalled you have to first go into the task manager and kill the (auto-starting) K-Meleon process including any others it started. Then the uninstall will proceed.

Sorry it did not work out. It looked promising. But without ongoing support and development, it might as well be dead. My memory problems were solved the usual way - add more memory.

Good Luck
Steve

Re: Cannot uninstall
Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 21, 2012 08:43AM

All of this are not the KM problems:
1) you must unload all program modules before uninstall it.
2) high memory consumption is the 'feature' of modern internet pages not browsers so you cannot reduce it under some level. The modern minimum is about 25-30 Mb for one opened page (tab) and can be achieved by KM with more chance than by any contender...

If you want get the maximum from K-Meleon without extra buzz, just use portable builds.

I recommend so named 'CommMeleon' (link in my signature) build - it includes many community recommended additions and tweaks...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.