General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM 1.5 in Linux - Good News
Posted by: playdayz
Date: August 11, 2008 07:05PM

The RC and Offical Release of 1.5.0 both run for me almost perfectly in linux. The Bookmarks toolbar works, as do the Tabs, Preferences, Privacy Bar, and Sessions (Load and Save sessions work, but Undo Last Closed does not.) Here's what I did (My experience with wine 1.1.2 and Puppy Linux 4.0):

1. Set winecfg to a default of Win98 (to get the installer to use kmeleonW9x.exe).
2. Ran the *installer* for 1.5, not the 7z. I noticed that the intaller renamed k-meleonW9x.exe to kmeleon.exe, as it should now.
3. After KM was installed I changed winecfg to WinXP (if I didn't do this the File and Edit menus were corrupted--this fixes that at least--maybe it fixes other things too???).
4. Ran KM with the following Desktop script (K-Meleon1.5.desktop)
[Desktop Entry]
Name=K-Meleon 1.5.0
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/root/.wine" wine "C:\\Program Files\\K-Meleon\\k-meleon.exe"
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Wine
Path=/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/K-Meleon
Icon=90c5_firefox.0
(The Icon is an artifact of rox-filer setting the icon I think. It actually shows the KM icon. I don't know how this will work on other machines)

5. When KM 1.5 starts, I went to Edit: Configuration: Browser Configuration and set "kmeleon.MRU.maxURLs" to 0 (zero). I did this because pulling down the url bar resulted consistently in an "Internal Application Error." The url bar will still drop down on its own to show matches to any url that you start typing into the bar. If you click the arrow to drop down the url bar, it will be empty--which I think is better than an error--and maybe it fixes, actually works-around I guess, other things too???.

The other remaining bugs (Bugs running KM in linux):
a. that the url bar does not update properly from clicking a link.
b. you cannot rearrange the toolbars from line to line but only expand and contract them within a line--however, no error results from trying.

There probably are other slight problems I haven't seen, but I find this version fully useful in linux--though I would like to fix the remaining bugs of course.

So thank you Dorian and everyone for another great K-Meleon, which has a life after windows!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM 1.5 in Linux - Good News
Posted by: Fred
Date: August 11, 2008 10:28PM

Yes, it seems as if the 1.5 K-Meleon release is
working allright in Linux, although it still has
sometimes some difficulties to recreate compreg.dat
and xpti.dat.
I will nevertheless make an update of my version
K-Meleon1.5-Linux.
It will include a URL button to replace the address bar
if necessary, because with an older Wine version the
address bar is still not usable.
It will also have the additional Search engines from
my earlier versions, and I will include probably the
two extensions NoScript 1.1.8 and AdblockPlus.
Regards
Fred

Re: KM 1.5 in Linux - Good News
Posted by: Fred
Date: August 11, 2008 11:50PM

I have uploaded K-Meleon1.5-Linux-18117pre to Rapidshare now.
Notes and download links in the other thread.

Fred

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.