General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
bookmarks
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: August 20, 2008 03:37PM

What I really need is a tutorial for dummies on bookmarks.

My bookmarks are becoming unmanageable and I need to create
more subcategories (or whatever you call them) to handle them.
For instance I have the following:
Jackregular
Jackspecial
Jackjunk

I need to add several more like
Disk
masm
etc.

Then I need to drag and drop items from Jackregular/Jackspecial
to Disk or masm.

In trying to do this I have K-meleon all fouled up.

If I left click on k-meleon I get my home page and NO bookmarks.
If I right click on k-meleon and sandboxie I get the bookmarks.
I am also getting chrome://navigator-regional/locale/region.properties
which I have no idea what this is and I don't want it.

If I unintstall k-meleon and start over I'll lose all my hundreds
of bookmarks.
What a mess.
I could sure use some detailed help or where to go to read about
this problem.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bookmarks
Posted by: Millo
Date: August 20, 2008 04:06PM

I use just 10 bookmarks or so so I have no problem at all. Why do you need couple of hundreds bookmark? Do aou have bookmark disease or what?

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: August 20, 2008 04:13PM

Like I said in my original post I have a terminology problem.
In jackregular(which I assume is a bookmark) for instance
I have a hundred URLs.
I need to move some of these to Dish/masm/etc. to make
the use of bookmarks more manageable.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 20, 2008 06:34PM

You are talking about bookmarks.html and its subfolders?

General Comments: If You move/delete the browser or a profile You save/backup this bookmarks.html of Your used profile to save/backup Your bookmarks. All Geckos can reuse this file. Any browser can read this file ( it is a html list with definitions and URLs ). Almost all non Gecko browsers can use or import this file.

AFAIK the K-Meleon plugin that handles bookmarks.html has a limit of over 1000 entries. If You ever get close to the limit You can bookmark older bookmarks.html (best with content that never changes because these bookmarked ones are treated as normal, bookmarked html pages ( unless they are loaded as bookmarks.html / You can have only one active bookmarks.html per profile / I use ones in old k-meleon versions profiles & in case I ever edit - i load/edit them from the older K-Meleon that are still installed e.g. for tests ).

K-Meleon has contextual menus that change - in a new situation try to use right-click or keyboard - the displayed menus or a shortcut may contain or do what You need. K-Meleon Project is older than Firefox - normally a dev has found missing items and implemented them - think like one / try delete or insert key ... when no other way is shown in an edit context smiling smiley

K-Meleon can be set to use a bookmarks.html anywhere on Your PC (if You have writing and reading privileges at that location ).

Manage: To create a new bookmarks subfolder: Open Edit Bookmarks > right click > choose New Folder, crate it now You can edit its name.

Drag and drop existing items (single bookmarks or whole folders) there. Or use the sort function.

In the Edit Bookmarks window - You can also use keys such as delete or insert. You confirm that it is ok to save what You did there by clicking OK field / all other ways to close that window abort all actions that You performed in that window while it was open.

Hotlist - much the same - except that it is only used by K-Meleon and Opera.

Favorites are managed in what is an Explorer windows - it is opened/started the same as the two above. You can manage by drag and drop & other Win procedures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 06:58PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.