General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Upgrade problem with skins
Posted by: Bernt
Date: August 24, 2008 10:08AM

Today I upgraded K-meleon from 1.1.6 to 1.5. Now there is a change in the appearance of the browser. The icons look the same, but the nice "silvery" background I previously had, has changed into a uniform and dull grey. My question:

How does one manage skins and themes in K-meleon 1.5? The only instructions I find say

"Open K-Meleon, go to Edit>Preferences>Display>Skin and select a skin from the list."

But I can't find anything like this in 1.5. I do find "Page display", but there is nothing about skins or themes there (as you probably notice, I don't understand the difference between skins and themes).

Another problem is that I don't seem able to find the theme (or "skin") I have been using in the lists, it was a version were the "view history" icon was a nice ancient "paper roll".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upgrade problem with skins
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 24, 2008 10:40AM

You have simply found the older description for 1.1. and earlier versions. kko joined Preferences and Advanced Preferences for 1.5. All items are in the old Advanced Pref Panel now.

Location: > Preferences > Top item > First tab from left > down under Skins are 3 checkboxes > the middle one - sorry looked it up in German version & do not know the English words smiling smiley

But it should be the words You quoted.

BTW. 1.5 has the default setting not to show back.bmp. 1.1x shows it by default.

Greetings to Suomi from .De

Posted by: reeko124
Date: August 24, 2008 10:57AM

What he told you to do is right and the words are "Display toolbar background" make sure thats checked. Just helping you with the words guenter smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2008 11:30AM

Thank you both, but I still don't find anything. Should I have "advanced preferences" somewhere? The only think I find is "Preferences", absolutely nothing about skins there, as far as I can see.

If it is a question about languages, it might be helpful if you write the exakt path in German, I have some basic knowledge of that language also.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 24, 2008 12:34PM

You can get to the Preferences in KM 1.5 by pressing the F2 key. Once that panel shows, you should click on the top item on the left side. That is GUI Appearances. There are four tabs there. The first one on the left is General. That is the one you need. With that tab highlighted you should see a dropdown where you can select the skin you want. The second item under the dropdown is Display toolbar background. That should be checked.

Just as a note, I did not like the gray background in Klassic skin so I changed the back.bmp in the skin to a light yellow color. It is better for my old eyes.

Date: August 24, 2008 01:06PM

Thank you, now I got it right. I am by the way using the skin Konqueror, very nice I think.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.