General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-M won't open after installing - missing files?
Posted by: Cliff
Date: August 30, 2008 04:53PM

Hi everybody

For over a week now I've been struggling and tearing my hair out with a terrible malware browser hijacker and virus which used my computer as a zombie and prevented me from accessing all types of sites, then in trying to repair it I think I have been rather zealous in deleting some files in a desperate attemtp to cure the browser hijack.

Anyway, to cut a long and painful story short, I can finally browse the internet...but only if I use IE. Obviously, the first thing I did when I reconnected 20 minutes ago was to dowload KM.

The d/l was fine but when I try to open KM nothing happens - a little eggtimer appears and then disappears. Same thing happens with Firefox.

I was wondering if anyone is thinking "Aha! He's deleted [...] and he needs that file. Or perhaps there's another problem.

I really don't want to use IE for the internet! Thanks for any suggestions.

Cliff
Lancaster UK
Win XP Pro SP2, IE7

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-M won't open after installing - missing files?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 30, 2008 05:27PM

Probably msvcrt.dll msvcrt7.dll or the visual basic 6 dlls, who knows, but looks like that.

Date: August 30, 2008 05:35PM

Ah...thanks John...no mscvrt7 on my system. Might be a start.

Cheers
Cliff

Date: August 30, 2008 05:38PM

msvcrt7 I mean

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 30, 2008 06:09PM

@Cliff The eggtimer can appear while a firewall tries to decide what to do.

1.) Check Your firewall settings - some firewalls can be set to learning mode to ask You to decide about software that tries to access net for the first time.

2.) msvcrt7 = yes.

The runtimes are with every k-meleon installer exe. They are installed automatically.
Your system would have suffered dramatic changes/damages if that does not work.
Make sure that You downloaded the complete package with installer. Several languages are available.

You can also retrieve the 2 runtime dll from the setup.exe manually. E.g. 7.zip or some other packing programs will do it for You.

The runtimes are not with 7.z packed k-meleon without installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2008 06:10PM by guenter.

Date: August 30, 2008 07:47PM

Thanks Guenter

I have solved it now - I deleted all my browsers then managed to force Spybot onto the computer via a pen drive, and that found a Firewall Bypass, some diallers, and some registry redirects which were redirecting example.com to 127.0.0.1. I also deleted all the entries in the registry at .../system32/drivers/etc, and that helped.

Then I reinstalled KM, and it's working perfectly again and I am assuming I have all the runtimes working OK. It's taken me a week to do this though!

Thanks for your help (and you John).

Cliff
Lancaster UK
Win XP Pro SP2 ***KM 1.5.0*** hurrah!

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 30, 2008 09:44PM

@Cliff, glad that You were able to help Yourself with the hints we could add from afar smiling smiley

Yes - k-meleon starts when the runtimes are present and he can pass the firewall.

p.s. the favorite Browser = a he smiling smiley for me & many other Germans.

My standard procedure is throw out all unknown programs from autostart and clean registry with an old version of jv16tools or free tools from sysinternals aka microsoft since it was sold to MS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2008 09:55PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.